Most Miserable Defeat

I’m sure we’re all looking forward to going back to watching games regularly live and in person - but let’s take a look at some of our worst memories to really get us in the mood.

I’ll start with a strong contender for overall winner; Dunfermline 0-3 Cowdenbeath (18th May 2014)

Dunfermline’s off-field shambles had led us to administration and near liquidation the previous season. A resultant points deduction saw us finish 9th and we comfortably lost the play-off final to Alloa, meaning we were relegated. These were bleak times.

Our speedy return to the second tier was made less likely after being joined in League 1 by the newly formed Rangers franchise. Our young team did not pull up any trees that season but were still comfortable runners up and manager Jim Jefferies took the decision to rest players for the play-offs.

The Pars toiled big time in the semi-final, eventually scraping past Stranraer in extra-time. A scare no doubt but we now only had Cowdenbeath standing between us and a season of Championship football alongside Sevco, Hearts and Hibs. We could hear the money piling in already.

A 1-1 first leg draw on the Central Park quagmire was a hideous imitation of the beautiful game but meant that any Pars win in front of 8000+ at EEP would see us promoted.

Oh.

3D9A0FA8-0C9F-41AC-BC71-86D4FB8FAD74.jpeg

16F9D986-38D1-452B-A7D0-875C68DCBFC2.jpeg

5FB81FDD-AD3A-44FD-8026-22FECD950DBC.jpeg

I’m pretty sure my brain short circuited at some point during the 90 mins because I simply couldn’t accept what I was witnessing. Hemmings scored after 30 seconds and we looked beaten from that moment on. You can’t imagine a more gutless, craven display.

I left the ground laughing out of sheer disbelief. We had just been pumped at home by Cowdenbeath and would now spend another year in League 1…where the Pars would somehow sink further still.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

Has to be losing the league to Dunfermline.  The build up to that game was incredible, the day out, occasion etc will never be matched.  There was even a dedicated Sports Sportsound during the week to preview the game, which was wild considering where the club had been in the years prior.

But you have to win it, and we didn't really look like it.  That season is the one that got away.  

Ignoring the obvious example- Morton 1-4 Stenhousemuir in 2004. The story of that season from our perspective has already been told a million times over, but we went into the penultimate game against an already relegated Stenhousemuir knowing that a win would take us up. We already had 9 points from 9 against them that season. Surely even Morton couldn’t have f*cked it from there?

I was at the Ross County 1-7 defeat at Starks but was too young to account for how bad it was, so I won’t count that.

Craig Wilson, ex-par, scoring a 93rd minute own goal in front of a full North Stand v Dunfermline whilst fireworks went off above the stand from the Beveridge Park was pretty high on the miserable scale.

The penalties defeat to Brechin in the play offs under Locke and the last day draw to Alloa under Smith when Vaughan hit the post with the last kick of the season to give Ayr the league also left me pretty sad.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I was at the Ross County 1-7 defeat at Starks but was too young to account for how bad it was, so I won’t count that.

Craig Wilson, ex-par, scoring a 93rd minute own goal in front of a full North Stand v Dunfermline whilst fireworks went off above the stand from the Beveridge Park was pretty high on the miserable scale.

The penalties defeat to Brechin in the play offs under Locke and the last day draw to Alloa under Smith when Vaughan hit the post with the last kick of the season to give Ayr the league also left me pretty sad.

Wasn't it Hughes?

2-1 defeat at Alloa in the 2nd last game of the 2017/18 season, only needed a point to win the league took a massive support up and lost two comical goals, Craig Moore then scored to give us hope then he proceeded to miss a pen looked like we had blew the league but Alloa did us a massive favour by holding Raith to a 0-0 and we had our own helicopter Saturday at Somerset.

Too many to mention, if I'm honest. The defeat to Livi in the play-offs that heralded seasons of barrel-scraping must be down with there with the lowest. The spectacle of one of Thistle's most accomplished managers and his team completely blowing years of hard work is unforgettable for all the wrong reasons.

Being 1-0 up and going on 2 or 3 against the Tribute Act until the 90th minute; at which point hot, shitey diarrhoea filled our skants and we lost 2-1. Then doing this exact same thing again. We had some right shanners under Dick Campbell but this was the most miserable.

I can think of a couple that make me sick to my stomach.

Aside from them though, the 7-0 loss to Aberdeen was also particularly horrendous.

The biggest gutwrencher though was probably the 4-0 loss to Championship Rangers in the Scottish Cup QFs, especially conceding after 13 seconds. We just don't do good cup runs.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

0-3 play-off defeat against Cowdenbeath was a hard one to take, but put it in to context, we had literally just survived oblivion and Cowdenbeath actually had some very good players playing for them. Still pretty shite though. We'd have won the league actually very comfortably that season too however Sevco stormed it in their second season in existence. 

There's not one moment that particularly stands out. I have had some miserable experiences supporting the Pars. The Scottish Cup finals in the noughties we could have won both, but can't really be miserable about getting to cup finals. 

In no particular order, the following stick out as sore yins to watch: getting pumped out of Europe in the last minute to the Icelandic fisherman in 2004; losing to an already relegated Airdrie United last game of 2012/13 when we just needed to win to clinch 8th place; getting pumped 0-5 at home to Hamilton Accies during Kenny's spell (Offiong scored possibly the best goal I have ever seen in the flesh); 0-3 Scottish Cup defeat to Raith in 2019. Could go on forever tbh.

In more recent times, that 5-1 defeat to Raith was absolutely horrendous and it could possibly have stood out for me as the worst, but thankfully fans couldn't attend and I was able to turn the TV over after the 5th went in. 

If I were to pick one, I'd maybe go for the 0-5 defeat to Hamilton Accies. Bar a 1 season exit, we had spent 10 years in the top flight, got relegated in 2007 and our first season back down, whilst playing in Europe the same season, we get absolutely annihilated, at home, to Hamilton Accies. Think they only had about 30 fans that day and all you could hear after every goal was a massive "BOOOOOOO" In some ways I'm glad I was there just to see that Offiong goal: it was seriously that good. Wish there were highlights of it somewhere. 

51 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

Too many to mention, if I'm honest. The defeat to Livi in the play-offs that heralded seasons of barrel-scraping must be down with there with the lowest. The spectacle of one of Thistle's most accomplished managers and his team completely blowing years of hard work is unforgettable for all the wrong reasons.

Weirdly I was more miserable with the Ross County drubbing before that than the playoffs which I'd kinda resigned myself to losing, iirc the main thing I mind from the County loss was watching Adam Barton and Abdul Osman regress from looking the part as top flight players to quite clearly having given up and just going through the motions (at best).

50 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

Being 1-0 up and going on 2 or 3 against the Tribute Act until the 90th minute; at which point hot, shitey diarrhoea filled our skants and we lost 2-1. Then doing this exact same thing again. We had some right shanners under Dick Campbell but this was the most miserable.

yep, this is hard to top. When we scored in the 2nd game I remember turning and joking that it'd be a good point for us knowing we'd shit the bed late on, was nonetheless still ashen faced by the end in disbelief that we'd lost to them the same way again.

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aside from the obvious playoff defeat against Livi, the 5-1 defeat against Dunfermline in 2019 when Tam O’Ware got himself sent off about 8 seconds in was particularly bleak.

the 3-2 against Morton sticks out, not a drubbing but it was on telly i think, and all 3 goals were soft set pieces. Sticks out to me, going from being pleased with getting a 2-0 lead to conceding 3 set pieces in the one game was woeful.

First thing that had come to mind was 6-1 against Gretna, we weren't the only team they beat heavily but I hated them at the time so getting dismantled really stung.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Last time (IIRC) us an Killie were in this league, Jocky Scott masterminded us losing our last four home league games, culminating in Cowden beating us, ending our hopes of going up and an angry lynch mob outside the main stand. 

Edited by Shandon Par

Probably not the overall worst but in terms of pre season optimism being burst, 4-0 off Raith on opening day about 10 years ago, 3-0 down and down to ten men at half time.

A younger me sat through the second half, current day me would have sacked it at half time.