Zaragoza

welshbairn

Zaragoza is brilliant - really beautiful with a great cafe culture. Bits of Game of Thrones were filmed nearby (the Dothraki Sea). 

1984913827_WhatsAppImage2021-07-20at12_42_43.thumb.jpeg.aef60ad76e4aa7dc29899cba8776c54d.jpeg

1683410000_WhatsAppImage2021-07-20at12_42_24.thumb.jpeg.b49373259a644ca74ab0c0e07fea58b7.jpeg

We only stopped over one night in 2018 but hope to be going back this October 

26 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

We only stopped over one night in 2018 but hope to be going back this October 

Just had a look on Airbnb, decent looking apartments for under £50 per night.

Edited by welshbairn

Spent two weeks there back in 2003-ish. 'Beautiful' isn't really the term I would have used, but parts of it are certainly pretty. Most of it is residential towerblock, though not the kind of unkempt thing you see in Scotland. 

Aside from that, good weather, good food, lively locals, phenomenal history. 

I'd go if I were you. 

Just now, The Other Foot said:

Spent two weeks there back in 2003-ish. 'Beautiful' isn't really the term I would have used, but parts of it are certainly pretty. Most of it is residential towerblock, though not the kind of unkempt thing you see in Scotland. 

Aside from that, good weather, good food, lively locals, phenomenal history. 

I'd go if I were you. 

We were only there briefly and stayed in the centre. Did seem to have a bit of urban sprawl to the south. I've read that it has a very young demographic, similar to Dundee with lots of students. 

3 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I don't trust Air BnB any more. Too many last minute cancellations and a luxury apartment which turned out to be smaller than my shed. 

Never had a bad one and some spectacular ones. Lucky I guess. I'd much rather have a whole flat for the same price as a hotel room.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Never had a bad one and some spectacular ones. Lucky I guess.

The one I regret having to cancel on was a yacht moored in Cartagena harbour. If you stayed more than three nights, the owner took you out for a trip on it. 

23 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

We were only there briefly and stayed in the centre. Did seem to have a bit of urban sprawl to the south. I've read that it has a very young demographic, similar to Dundee with lots of students. 

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Zaragoza with my mrs for 3 nights there and really enjoyed it. We stayed in a hotel just off Plaza de España and everything is easily walkable. 

Highly recommend the El Tubo area for drinks and tapas, just wandering around there the vibe is brilliant and many of the pubs have their own speciality tapas - can't mind the name but one that did Sardines and Baked potatoes as speciality was great.  For a full meal, I would highly recommend Casa Lac (excellent menu del dia at 22 euros and oldest restaurant in town), El Real (great view of Cathedral, lamb shoulder was incredible, also has about 7 different San Miguel on tap) and Flor de Lis was good too as was a place called la Cocina de Keyla for breakkfast/brunch.

Book tickets online for Cathedral and the Aljaferia palace - there were people getting turned away on the day when we were there. The origami museum is also really good btw.

IMG-20210807-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20210804-WA0005.jpg

Edited by JMDP

58 minutes ago, JMDP said:

We stayed in a hotel just off Plaza de España and everything is easily walkable. 

Thanks for all the info, my apartment is 10 minutes walk from there. Have KLM vouchers to use up so will be flying from Inverness to Madrid via Amsterdam and train up from there.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, JMDP said:

No worries mate, give me a shout if you need anything else. Have you booked a train? We went up with OUIGO, easy to book on the app and generally cheaper than renfe/ave. 

I'll definitely use OUIGO if I can, thought it would be a slow stopping service but good to see it's just as fast as AVE. At first glance there might not be much choice early evening when I'll get to the station in Madrid. Not going till May so the timetables aren't up yet.

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Tharagotha

That's what I thought, but annoyingly they pronounce things differently in every part of Spain so they can laugh at the tourists. I'm going to gamble on Tharagosa so I'm only half wrong.