Jump to content

2022/23 Leagues (just for fun)


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Mind a coupla year ago when the East of Scotland had the conferences with inter-conference games to make up the numbers? A possible idea to use again if the numbers mean splitting it leaves it either too big if left as a one big league or too wee if split into two (or however the maths works out).

 

The Conferences idea at lowest Division level works for me.

If the Conferences are regionalized it gives more local matches in the main but with extra the inter-conferences matches. Why not?

Edited by Dev
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would like the idea of the old junior had top 2 division non regionalized then 3rd and 4th divison regionalized help the lower down club save money and potential for bigger dates if they are playing more local teams 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, megaspinnernet2 said:

Would like the idea of the old junior had top 2 division non regionalized then 3rd and 4th divison regionalized help the lower down club save money and potential for bigger dates if they are playing more local teams 

The main issue with this is there are more 'central' clubs than 'ayrshire' ones. The alternative if going down the regionalisation route would be something similar to what the ERJFA had before the exodus where the bottom tier was regionalised but with a floating boundary which means teams would be moved around as needed to balance numbers.The issue with that however is that some clubs may not be best pleased about being moved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Mind a coupla year ago when the East of Scotland had the conferences with inter-conference games to make up the numbers? A possible idea to use again if the numbers mean splitting it leaves it either too big if left as a one big league or too wee if split into two (or however the maths works out).

That was with 24 clubs of course, who were split into 2 conferences of 12... played their own conference home-&-away (22) plus other conference 6 home/6 away (12) for grand total 34 games i.e. 17 home+17 away.

Likely very max you can run that would be 26, split into 2 conference of 13... play their own conference home-&-away (24) plus other conference 6 or 7 home/6 or 7 away (13) for grand total of 37 games. You could do that in 37 dates rather than 39 provided the odd clubs in each conference played an inter-conference game, rather than sitting idle. You'd have to accept half of clubs having 18 home+19 away in total and half 19 home+18 away.

Once you reach 28 clubs it takes 40 games, which is a lot even at a level where clubs tend to exit the cups early.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The comment was made to stimulate debate and it did. 
 

in my opinion the set up doesn’t make for a solution that will benefit some of the clubs. Travel costs are crippling just now and will only get worse. The standard is also so poor amongst many that any decent players will be tempted to play in the amateurs. Finally, the expectations from a more professional set up for facilities etc could be way above the capabilities of some.  It could be a perfect storm that would see the sad demise of many a community “junior” team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



The comment was made to stimulate debate and it did. 
 
in my opinion the set up doesn’t make for a solution that will benefit some of the clubs. Travel costs are crippling just now and will only get worse. The standard is also so poor amongst many that any decent players will be tempted to play in the amateurs. Finally, the expectations from a more professional set up for facilities etc could be way above the capabilities of some.  It could be a perfect storm that would see the sad demise of many a community “junior” team. 


Utter nonsense. All the existing junior teams were accepted into the WoSFL with their existing facilities. It is only the new teams applying to join the league who have to meet set criteria regarding facilities, and none of them are what you describe as a community junior team.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lurcer said:

The standard is also so poor amongst many that any decent players will be tempted to play in the amateurs. 

Schroedinger's footballer: their standard is so poor they're too good for the league they are in so will drop down a level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Schroedinger's footballer: their standard is so poor they're too good for the league they are in so will drop down a level.

You would be right if the amateur leagues were of a poor quality, however, I’ve seen many a better game at that level than in the so called professional leagues. 
 

BTW far to many variables for the cat experiment to be used as an example of why my hypothesis is wrong. 

Edited by Lurcer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lurcer said:

You would be right if the amateur leagues were of a poor quality, however, I’ve seen many a better game at that level than in the so called professional leagues. 
 

Which isn't something that's really changed though. People really do have a hang up on the name of things in this country. It's not like juniors were a bunch of kids and seniors were OAPs.

It's an old argument that the bottom the Juniors/Seniors/Professional/Semi-Professional/Non-league game are basically amateur in all but name, while the top of the amateurs are often getting paid despite their status.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Which isn't something that's really changed though. People really do have a hang up on the name of things in this country. It's not like juniors were a bunch of kids and seniors were OAPs.

It's an old argument that the bottom the Juniors/Seniors/Professional/Semi-Professional/Non-league game are basically amateur in all but name, while the top of the amateurs are often getting paid despite their status.

I can’t argue with you on that 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...