2022/23 Leagues (just for fun)

39 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Mind a coupla year ago when the East of Scotland had the conferences with inter-conference games to make up the numbers? A possible idea to use again if the numbers mean splitting it leaves it either too big if left as a one big league or too wee if split into two (or however the maths works out).

The Conferences idea at lowest Division level works for me.

If the Conferences are regionalized it gives more local matches in the main but with extra the inter-conferences matches. Why not?

Edited by Dev

1 hour ago, megaspinnernet2 said:

Would like the idea of the old junior had top 2 division non regionalized then 3rd and 4th divison regionalized help the lower down club save money and potential for bigger dates if they are playing more local teams 

The main issue with this is there are more 'central' clubs than 'ayrshire' ones. The alternative if going down the regionalisation route would be something similar to what the ERJFA had before the exodus where the bottom tier was regionalised but with a floating boundary which means teams would be moved around as needed to balance numbers.The issue with that however is that some clubs may not be best pleased about being moved.

9 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Mind a coupla year ago when the East of Scotland had the conferences with inter-conference games to make up the numbers? A possible idea to use again if the numbers mean splitting it leaves it either too big if left as a one big league or too wee if split into two (or however the maths works out).

That was with 24 clubs of course, who were split into 2 conferences of 12... played their own conference home-&-away (22) plus other conference 6 home/6 away (12) for grand total 34 games i.e. 17 home+17 away.

Likely very max you can run that would be 26, split into 2 conference of 13... play their own conference home-&-away (24) plus other conference 6 or 7 home/6 or 7 away (13) for grand total of 37 games. You could do that in 37 dates rather than 39 provided the odd clubs in each conference played an inter-conference game, rather than sitting idle. You'd have to accept half of clubs having 18 home+19 away in total and half 19 home+18 away.

Once you reach 28 clubs it takes 40 games, which is a lot even at a level where clubs tend to exit the cups early.

The comment was made to stimulate debate and it did. 

in my opinion the set up doesn’t make for a solution that will benefit some of the clubs. Travel costs are crippling just now and will only get worse. The standard is also so poor amongst many that any decent players will be tempted to play in the amateurs. Finally, the expectations from a more professional set up for facilities etc could be way above the capabilities of some.  It could be a perfect storm that would see the sad demise of many a community “junior” team. 

The comment was made to stimulate debate and it did. 

in my opinion the set up doesn’t make for a solution that will benefit some of the clubs. Travel costs are crippling just now and will only get worse. The standard is also so poor amongst many that any decent players will be tempted to play in the amateurs. Finally, the expectations from a more professional set up for facilities etc could be way above the capabilities of some.  It could be a perfect storm that would see the sad demise of many a community “junior” team. 

Utter nonsense. All the existing junior teams were accepted into the WoSFL with their existing facilities. It is only the new teams applying to join the league who have to meet set criteria regarding facilities, and none of them are what you describe as a community junior team.

39 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Schroedinger's footballer: their standard is so poor they're too good for the league they are in so will drop down a level.

You would be right if the amateur leagues were of a poor quality, however, I’ve seen many a better game at that level than in the so called professional leagues. 

BTW far to many variables for the cat experiment to be used as an example of why my hypothesis is wrong. 

Edited by Lurcer

2 hours ago, Lurcer said:

You would be right if the amateur leagues were of a poor quality, however, I’ve seen many a better game at that level than in the so called professional leagues. 

Which isn't something that's really changed though. People really do have a hang up on the name of things in this country. It's not like juniors were a bunch of kids and seniors were OAPs.

It's an old argument that the bottom the Juniors/Seniors/Professional/Semi-Professional/Non-league game are basically amateur in all but name, while the top of the amateurs are often getting paid despite their status.

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Which isn't something that's really changed though. People really do have a hang up on the name of things in this country. It's not like juniors were a bunch of kids and seniors were OAPs.

It's an old argument that the bottom the Juniors/Seniors/Professional/Semi-Professional/Non-league game are basically amateur in all but name, while the top of the amateurs are often getting paid despite their status.

I can’t argue with you on that 

• 3 months later...

Regionalised Conference of 13 teams each would be the way to go - playing 24 league games H&A against "own conference sides" with then an additional 13 games against sides in the other conference?

Or is 37 games too many for this level.

Also depends on new members as well, but regionalised leagues are the best way to go at the "bottom" WoSFL tier.

10 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Been a few months since the last one of these was posted. It's sorted on PPG so Petershill have got themselves into a Premier spot, and Thorniewood have got into what will be a highly competitive First Division.

wos2223-1.PNG

Wee request for the next version of this: could ye highlight the teams who are confirmed at each level? I think there's about half a dozen clubs who are certain to be in the third division next year so by the next time this comes roon it might be starting to take shape a bit more

10 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Regionalised Conference of 13 teams each would be the way to go - playing 24 league games H&A against "own conference sides" with then an additional 13 games against sides in the other conference?

Or is 37 games too many for this level.

Also depends on new members as well, but regionalised leagues are the best way to go at the "bottom" WoSFL tier.

Conferences might be the way to go, but 37 will be too many games and making it work regionally will be difficult as there's not really enough for a traditional Ayrshire league.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Wee request for the next version of this: could ye highlight the teams who are confirmed at each level? I think there's about half a dozen clubs who are certain to be in the third division next year so by the next time this comes roon it might be starting to take shape a bit more

Yeah I thought about that after I posted, it's five clubs in the third division just now - Saltcoats, Irvine, Carluke, Dalry, Royal Albert.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, _FFC1876 said:

Any word on how the Third Division will look for next season? I know the Premier, First and Second Divisions will be made up of 16 teams each, but wondering what they’re going to do with the remaining 26 - surely they can’t all compete in the Third Division together - that would be a 50-game season! 😂

It's split in two and regionalised.