To nobody's surprise, it's apparently not looking too good for us. Even the optimists in our support seem to be falling back on, "well, we've been shit at the start of prior seasons where things turned out alright".

It looks like we might still be on Championship form this year; struggling badly for goals, and relying on our defence to keep things tight.

2 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Here I go before I see a League game

1 Falkirk

2 Airdrie

3 Alloa

4 Queens Park

5 Cove Rangers

6 Montrose

7 Peterhead

8 East Fife

9 Clyde

10umbarton

But it could be anyone in top 4 from 6 up. Will I jinx Falkirk again?

Feel free. I can't see us fighting for anything other than Div 1 survival unless we sign Harry Potter

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

To nobody's surprise, it's apparently not looking too good for us. Even the optimists in our support seem to be falling back on, "well, we've been shit at the start of prior seasons where things turned out alright".

It looks like we might still be on Championship form this year; struggling badly for goals, and relying on our defence to keep things tight.

Our defence couldn't handle Stennie, Cowden or the Brech.

2 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

Feel free. I can't see us fighting for anything other than Div 1 survival unless we sign Harry Potter

Interesting take and as  I have not seen Alloa I will take your info. at face value.  Will Barry Ferguson do a Clyde with you? Surely Trouten will always pop up with goals?  As I said i think that will be top 6 but it could be any combination. Hope we can visit each other's ground.

1 hour ago, laughing gravie said:

Getting a bit ridiculous now LG, you've included the first friendly there in June which I watched and which was effectively a training match but not the competitive win over a Premier League team last week 😁. I know you like a moan at the moment but you could at least try and be a wee bit balanced. 

Anyway, I was also surprised by the managerial appointment and some of the signings but it's still so early. Like many teams, we have clearly used the League Cup as a pre-season to try and bed in new players. And some of them have shown promise that they can add to the very good core we retained. Now Ferguson might well be a complete disaster in the months ahead but the huge pessimism from some of our fans at this stage is really a bit daft.

In general I thought the Championship was poor last season, easily the weakest of the years we've spent in it in recent times, yet a very limited Morton side still ended up pumping Airdrie. Looking through the various squad lists not much really stands out as being likely to run away with it. I did think Cove looked decent when I saw them last season and they have added some very experienced players. They should be up there. Falkirk bound to get it right eventually, although squad clearly needs work. QP have some good players and if Airdrie are a work in progress then they should be looking to challenge. We do have a squad capable of being in the play off mix. Montrose under Petrie will always be a threat. I think there's probably a wee gap after that to the other sides, although everyone will be capable of taking points from each other. 

Edited by Waspie

3 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

Aye, that's the worry. We were wobbly at the back last season too.

It's just nonsense. Stenny is a bloody training session, Cowden defeat solely down to a goalkeeper error and Brechin defended well after their goal but essentially went up the park twice in the game. To say our defence couldn't handle these teams is stretching the truth to the limit. Certainly in the 2 competitive games the fault was more at the other end of the pitch. 

Find it totally baffling some folk go to such lengths of fact bending to lambast their own team, and essentially commence moon howling from results in a competition that most clubs (ourselves included) have used as pre season preparation. 

On topic, I'll be looking for Alloa to push for top 4 along with Queens Park, Falkirk and Cove but it's tough to call where anyone will end up really. Seems a reasonably tight league in terms of amassed squads.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Here I go before I see a League game

1 Falkirk

2 Airdrie

3 Alloa

4 Queens Park

5 Cove Rangers

6 Montrose

7 Peterhead

8 East Fife

9 Clyde

10umbarton

But it could be anyone in top 4 from 6 up. Will I jinx Falkirk again?

We will be nowhere near it unless we get a 20goal striker, a decent back up centre back and midfielder who can keep Hall and Miller nowhere near the team. We probably need two decent strikers in all honesty but are struggling for one. We seem to be at least trying to play better football under Sheerin that we did under M&M not that it would be difficult. Some positive early signs buts that's all they are. Our starting 11when everyone is fit looks okish apart from up front, but the replacements aren't , either kids, or jobbers like Jaime Wilson.

1. Falkirk

I don't think anyone will run away with it this year. I'm struggling between Falkirk, Queen's Park, and Airdrie for the top 3. Falkirk will be better than last year. I think Sheerin is a competent manager. They should be strong defensively again - McKay, McCann and Williamson should be good signings. There weakness may well be goals. They don't have an obvious 20 goal a season striker but I think the attacking options they have will be good enough to get the goals needed to come out on top.

2. Queen's Park

They've built a pretty solid upper L1 / lower Championship squad all round. It's a team built to get out of L1, not L2. Question marks over Laurie Ellis as a manger but I think they have the quality to be up there. I could easily have had them 1st and Falkirk 2nd.

3. Airdrie

I think Airdrie look slightly improved from last season and I expect them to be challenging. A good solid defence, improved by the signings of Watson, Wardop and Quitongo. if Scott Agnew can rediscover his form of 2 years ago, he'll be a big player. And with forward options like Gallagher, Kouider-Aissa, and Easton, they should get goals.

4. Cove Rangers

Not too much change in Cove's squad so I'll expect a similar season. They're signings seems very solid, particularly Vigurs and Draper from Ross County.

5. Montrose

Like Cove, not huge changes. Mochrie and Ballantyne are losses but Whatley and Lyons should make up for that. should be looking to challenge for the play-offs again and have a good chance of getting there.

6. Alloa Athletic

They have a decent squad on paper, particularly defensively. I've got them just outside the top group because I'm not sure they have the firepower of the teams above them and I don't think Barry Ferguson is a good manager.

7. Dumbarton

I've got Dumbarton higher than a few others. I think Farrel is a decent manager. Signings like Paton, Geggen and Buchanan should strengthen them. They could struggle for goals which may hold them back.

8. Peterhead

Pretty similar to last season. I don't think they've lost too much in terms of players out. Got back some decent players in who were on loan from last season. 

9. East Fife

I think the rest of the league has moved on a bit and we've regressed slightly. Big question marks whether Gallacher is an improvement on Long in goals. We still don't have a natural left back in the squad. We clearly wanted to bring in another centre half and didn't manage it. With Agnew gone and Swanson potentially out long term, we're lacking creativity in the middle of the park, and we don't have an obvious first choice centre forward (again, question makrs over whether Sean Brown can step into that role). I'm not sure I can be too confident going into this season. I don't think we're doomed but I can see a struggle

10. Clyde

Goodwillie is a good player but the majority of their signings seem very uninspiring to me. Players who're past it, never had it or are pretty unknown. I don't think they'll be straggling behind but they have to go bottom for me.

Not sure how this season will pan out for QP. Despite all the headline noise the club seem intent in not ‘doing a Gretna’. Most of the mystery-benefactor money is channeled for football development and there’s a flurry of recruitment at the moment for off-field activity plus a boost for the women’s team. Our U-18 squad won the Development League last season and some of those players are now progressing to the first team. So it’s a lot of change but not weighted to getting promotion again this season. The change of coach was another signal; Ray wanted to buy for the first team whereas Laurie Ellis fits better with the development model.

The players, and fans of course, will have their own hopes and ambitions and we should be good enough to sustain a place in the top-half of the table. I’d imagine we’ll see it evolve over the year. If we’re plodding in the last month we might see some rookies playing more or if we’re challenging we’ll probably go for it hard. Playing at Firhill will help our style but we’ll see how the grass copes over the winter. But I doubt if any fans would be too disappointed about not getting promotion. Over stretching to be in the Championship has it’s risk as fans at Brechin or Cowdenbeath will know.

At this time I’d say Falkirk to win, Clyde or Montrose to go down and the final play-offs not changing anything else.

1. Cove

2. Queens Park

3. Falkirk

4. Airdrie

5. Montrose

6. Dumbarton

7. Peterhead

8. Alloa

9. Clyde

10. East Fife

The top 3 will be as tight as a crabs arse, Airdrie will be comfortable in 4th, ourselves and Montrose will be battling it out for 5th place, Peterhead and Alloa to comfortably stay up with a few weeks to spare.