Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

5 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

I got 20 minutes for my buck at the abandoned game. Now where's my receipt! 😁

Musselburgh's next 4 games in November are HoB, Whitehill, Camelon & Blackburn - be interesting to see how things pan out for us. Playing better, manager knows his personnel much better, play football and unbeaten in 5.

I think The Swifts result at Tranent shows that there are no matches you can confidently predict the result. You mention the next 4 matches, where Burgh could/should expect to get a maximum of 12 points from them.

However, although HoB has only won 3 league matches this season, one was at Olivebank. We also drew at Blackburn, so certainly not a gimme at Olivebank. Camelon have had a very up/down season, but have anew manager and also won at weekend. We have had the upper hand in recent matches against them, but generally close matches. Finally, we beat Whitehill last season, with two late goals in Roswell, but again they seem to be getting better in recent matches. 

Only the Blackburn match is at home, the other three away. All are winnable but out of seven away League matches, Burgh has drawn four of them. Any reason to be positive for 4 wins? Not sure if the above reflects this but I would certainly be disappointed if we did not win at least 3 of them.  

5 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I think The Swifts result at Tranent shows that there are no matches you can confidently predict the result. You mention the next 4 matches, where Burgh could/should expect to get a maximum of 12 points from them.

However, although HoB has only won 3 league matches this season, one was at Olivebank. We also drew at Blackburn, so certainly not a gimme at Olivebank. Camelon have had a very up/down season, but have anew manager and also won at weekend. We have had the upper hand in recent matches against them, but generally close matches. Finally, we beat Whitehill last season, with two late goals in Roswell, but again they seem to be getting better in recent matches. 

Only the Blackburn match is at home, the other three away. All are winnable but out of seven away League matches, Burgh has drawn four of them. Any reason to be positive for 4 wins? Not sure if the above reflects this but I would certainly be disappointed if we did not win at least 3 of them.  

Definitely not predicting 4 wins CJ, although it'd be nice. They'll all be tough. Those 4 teams realise relegation is a very real threat, as it is for half of the league.

But I do feel Musselburgh have turned a little corner. Their response to going behind on Saturday was excellent. I'd take 4 unbeaten right now, with a mixture of wins & draws.

8 hours ago, IDH said:

Very pleased to see 4 Saturday fixtures in November. We now have Saturday matches in the league until the middle of January. Good.

Personally I like a midweek fixture now and again, and under the lights. But the rearrangement of the Blackburn game will undoubtedly help the pitch.

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

Definitely not predicting 4 wins CJ, although it'd be nice. They'll all be tough. Those 4 teams realise relegation is a very real threat, as it is for half of the league.

But I do feel Musselburgh have turned a little corner. Their response to going behind on Saturday was excellent. I'd take 4 unbeaten right now, with a mixture of wins & draws.

At start of season, if you were to predict results of each match you would pick 2 wins and perhaps 2 draws or maybe 3 wins and a loss? At start of season, loss if, picked would have been away to HoB. 

Now, you realistically could predict 3 wins and a draw/loss . One of these wins would now be away at HoB given their results this season. But that match could be the hardest given the home loss earlier in the season. The draw/loss would be Camelon, but how many times do we get beat from them - seldom. 

If we did get 4 wins, as it stands, I don’t think I would be surprised. All depends on the day. 

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

Personally I like a midweek fixture now and again, and under the lights. But the rearrangement of the Blackburn game will undoubtedly help the pitch.

Was the Blackburn match meant to be sooner? I can’t remember the original fixture list and I know that Camelon is rearranged from the earlier abandoned match.

Also, was the ground pretty cut up after Saturday’s match ? 

2 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Was the Blackburn match meant to be sooner? I can’t remember the original fixture list and I know that Camelon is rearranged from the earlier abandoned match.

Also, was the ground pretty cut up after Saturday’s match ? 

See Ginaro's Post above. Blackburn @ home was to be next Tuesday, now rescheduled.

Pitch done well on Saturday. Good that it didn't rain during the game. That helped and with no home game now for over 3 weeks, even better - might even get a smile out of George! 😉

Edited by Passthebaw

25 minutes ago, the tin man said:

Does Musselburgh still do its brilliant hospitality stuff can't see it anywhere

Not sure if it at same levels as previous season(s) due to COVID but the wee bar is open on match days. I’m sure PTB will advise when he is next on.

53 minutes ago, the tin man said:

Does Musselburgh still do its brilliant hospitality stuff can't see it anywhere

Yes. There were 10 guys in on Saturday. Think it's fully booked until the end of the season.

Entry, drinks, HT snack, then Fish & Chips from local restaurant, East Coast. £35 I think. Great wee set-up in there. 

Musselburgh disappointingly dropped 2 points in a 2-2 draw with HoB on Saturday. HoB, surprisingly sitting 2nd bottom of the league have taken 4 points from Musselburgh this season - ouch!

However, it could've been much worse as HoB raced into a 2 goal lead. But the Musselburgh supporters - similar in number to HoB i thought - were never overly concerned as it was always going to be a "game of 2 halves". On a sloping heavy pitch with 50mph gusts assisting the slope, it was never going to be a classic, but fair play to the Burgh for keeping going and HoB's keeper for a string of fine saves.  2 fine goals by Musselburgh with Thomson finishing after a fine passing move low into the corner, and a superb curled finish from the edge of the box by new signing Murrell - 2 in 2 games - were the highlights of the day.

6 unbeaten now, Musselburgh venture up to bottom of the table, Whitehill Welfare next Saturday - another toughie as the teams in the lower half of the league are already fighting for survival.

Edited by Passthebaw

11 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Musselburgh disappointingly dropped 2 points in a 2-2 draw with HoB on Saturday. HoB, surprisingly sitting 2nd bottom of the league have taken 4 points from Musselburgh this season - ouch!

However, it could've been much worse as HoB raced into a 2 goal lead. But the Musselburgh supporters - similar in number to HoB i thought - were never overly concerned as it was always going to be a "game of 2 halves". On a sloping heavy pitch with 50mph gusts assisting the slope, it was never going to be a classic, but fair play to the Burgh for keeping going and HoB's keeper for a string of fine saves.  2 fine goals by Musselburgh with Thomson finishing after a fine passing move low into the corner, and a superb curled finish from the edge of the box by new signing Murrell - 2 in 2 games - were the highlights of the day.

6 unbeaten now, Musselburgh venture up to bottom of the table, Whitehill Welfare next Saturday - another toughie as the teams in the lower half of the league are already fighting for survival.

Burgh have drawn 5 out of 8 matches away from home, more. Than any other team in Premier League. We have another 2 away matches on the bounce against 18th and 15th; Whitehill and Camelon respectively. Neither of these teams have drawn any league matches this season so Musselburgh have to get rid of the draw-King tabs and win both matches. 

Perhaps, after coming off the bench in last 2 matches and scoring both, our loan player from Spartans, Aaron Murrell should be on from the start to spearhead our forward line. 👍

13 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Burgh have drawn 5 out of 8 matches away from home, more. Than any other team in Premier League. We have another 2 away matches on the bounce against 18th and 15th; Whitehill and Camelon respectively. Neither of these teams have drawn any league matches this season so Musselburgh have to get rid of the draw-King tabs and win both matches. 

Perhaps, after coming off the bench in last 2 matches and scoring both, our loan player from Spartans, Aaron Murrell should be on from the start to spearhead our forward line. 👍

Yeah, a few of us talking yesterday about too many draws! 

It's a tough call up top. 5 into 2 doesn't go. King, Ballantyne, Downie, Smith & Murrell. The latter isn't match fit, but he's got great feet, looks decent, has an eye for goal and may just deserve that start already. Think they may shuffle the front 2 on Saturday but no idea with who! Nice problem to have.

Same can be said about the 3 into 2 centre halfs!

16 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Yeah, a few of us talking yesterday about too many draws! 

It's a tough call up top. 5 into 2 doesn't go. King, Ballantyne, Downie, Smith & Murrell. The latter isn't match fit, but he's got great feet, looks decent, has an eye for goal and may just deserve that start already. Think they may shuffle the front 2 on Saturday but no idea with who! Nice problem to have.

Same can be said about the 3 into 2 centre halfs!

You could make a change either up front or back 3 if you go with a midfield of 3. Are we playing a diamond shape this year? Didn’t know Aaron wasn’t Mach fit, but why not get him on at the start? Give him 30mins or 1st half. We want to be winning matches or scoring early on with best format than perhaps bringing on a guy late in the match. 

Also, what’s happening with Jackie Myles. We also have a surplus of midfielders, but Jackie gets very little time now. If I was him, I’d be saying get my photo off the front page if I’m only good enough for that. 

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

aye but we have a horrendous record against you guys

8 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

aye but we have a horrendous record against you guys

You are correct Alan. Perhaps with the exception of this year, Camelon are normally a difficult side for most teams to beat, but I can’t remember the last time you won against us. Generally always a good match for Burgh fans to watch. 

2 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

You are correct Alan. Perhaps with the exception of this year, Camelon are normally a difficult side for most teams to beat, but I can’t remember the last time you won against us. Generally always a good match for Burgh fans to watch. 

im sure it was 2012 im sure it was teh game i missed for my cousins wedding

34 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

im sure it was 2012 im sure it was teh game i missed for my cousins wedding

At that point, you made up my mind to check. 

In the league, it was in season 2012-13, when Camelon beat Burgh home and away. 2-1 at Camelon in Sept 12, then 3-2 at Olivebank on 24 April 2013. Kelbie scored in both matches. 

But last time you beat us was 2nd round of the East of Scotland on 21 December 13, when once again Kelbie got amongst the goals. 

Edited by Casey Jones