Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

6 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Nitten it was! Tranent deserved their win despite Nitten giving them a wee fright, including a 2nd goal that wasn't offside, but was chalked off. 

Nice to see a couple of Mussy players at the game checking out the opposition......and not sitting in the pub! 😁

Cheers! Here's to next week!

Haddington for me. A comfortable 4-1 win and based on that match, Haddington would appear to be on track for a spot in the Premier League next season. Play some good attractive football, with players competing for every ball. Also, the crowd was around 150 more than the Nitten match. 

So was it a couple of the young guys that stayed out of the pub for some extra homework, or two of the older players who know their priorities with opting to watch the opposition? 

On 17/10/2021 at 05:32, Casey Jones said:

Haddington for me. A comfortable 4-1 win and based on that match, Haddington would appear to be on track for a spot in the Premier League next season. Play some good attractive football, with players competing for every ball. Also, the crowd was around 150 more than the Nitten match. 

So was it a couple of the young guys that stayed out of the pub for some extra homework, or two of the older players who know their priorities with opting to watch the opposition? 

A fine win for Haddington against a Leith side who hadn't lost for over a year, but have suffered 2 defeats on the bounce now.

Interesting to note Musselburgh's next game is against Kennoway Star Hearts, the 3rd team alongside Haddington & Leith dominating their league. I hope and expect Musselburgh to win but also give them the absolute respect they deserve with only one league defeat all season.

Oh, and it was a couple of the young guys - good to see! 😉

Edited by Passthebaw

17 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

A fine win for Haddington against a Leith side who hadn't lost for over a year, but have suffered 2 defeats on the bounce now.

Interesting to note Musselburgh's next game is against Kennoway Star Hearts, the 3rd team alongside Haddington & Leith dominating their league. I hope and expect Musselburgh win give them the absolute respect they deserve with only one league defeat all season.

Oh, and it was a couple of the young guys - good to see! 😉

Been to see the HiHi’s a lot this season and Saturday was among the best performance.  A good young side 💪🏼

53 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Developments down The Burgh way! 💙

I stand to be corrected, but I can’t remember too many Burgh players ‘re-signing’ midway through a season, for the next season too? Shows the commitment of Liam, who progressed from the U20s two seasons ago and the most successful (so far), of his other three team-mates who did the same that year. Well done Liam 👍

2 changes to the starting line-up for Musselburgh today - the first in 4 games - as McManus replaced Page in anticipation of the latter's suspension next week I believe, and King in for Downie, who was unavailable.

KSH started the strongest against a lacklustre Musselburgh and dominated much of the 1st half, but it was "The King" who gave Musselburgh the half time lead with an instinctive finish from wide on the left after he beat the KSH keeper to a dash for the ball. A superb finish, but I did wonder why the keeper ventured out so far! Definitely "sweeper keeper" behaviour. 

The locals were restless at half time after a poor first half performance from Musselburgh, but a lot of credit goes to KSH for how they played and took the game to Musselburgh.

2nd half was a different story as Musselburgh dominated for long spells and were rewarded with a 2nd goal from the penalty spot courtesy of that man King again after Jordan Orru was brought down in the box. 

Over the piece, Musselburgh deserved their win, but I could see why KSH have only been beaten once this season. Every chance we'll see them in the top league real soon.

Negatives for Musselburgh were injuries to Donaldson & Ballantyne, likely to keep them out next week. Positives were another clean sheet - now 3 from the last 4 - and a much improved 2nd half performance that saw Musselburgh pass the ball well on a sticky surface.

Back to league business next week as Musselburgh welcome Broxburn, both sitting joint 3rd in the league. 

Edited by Passthebaw

28 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

2 changes to the starting line-up for Musselburgh today - the first in 4 games - as McManus replaced Page in anticipation of the latter's suspension next week I believe, and King in for Downie, who was unavailable.

KSH started the strongest against a lacklustre Musselburgh and dominated much of the 1st half, but it was "The King" who gave Musselburgh the half time lead with an instinctive finish from wide on the left after he beat the KSH keeper to a dash for the ball. A superb finish, but I did wonder why the keeper ventured out so far! Definitely "sweeper keeper" behaviour. 

The locals were restless at half time after a poor first half performance from Musselburgh, but a lot of credit goes to KSH for how they played and took the game to Musselburgh.

2nd half was a different story as Musselburgh dominated for long spells and were rewarded with a 2nd goal from the penalty spot courtesy of that man King again after Jordan Orru was brought down in the box. 

Over the piece, Musselburgh deserved their win, but I could see why KSH have only been beaten once this season. Every chance we'll see them in the top league real soon.

Negatives for Musselburgh were injuries to Donaldson & Ballantyne, likely to keep them out next week. Positives were another clean sheet - now 3 from the last 4 - and a much improved 2nd half performance that saw Musselburgh pass the ball well on a sticky surface.

Back to league business next week as Musselburgh welcome Broxburn, both sitting joint 3rd in the league. 

Thank you as always PTB for your comments after each match. Like how you don’t gloss over matters and actually say when the team are not at their best. Good that we remain in a cup competition. 

Two points to note.

Using one of your words; there was a lacklustre response by Mathu after both his goals and the response from his teammates when congratulating him.

The crowds seem to be down in a number of recent matches. Maybe today was because of Siny’s Wedding, though I wouldn’t imagine that too many fans were there for whole ceremony? 

3 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Thank you as always PTB for your comments after each match. Like how you don’t gloss over matters and actually say when the team are not at their best. Good that we remain in a cup competition. 

Two points to note.

Using one of your words; there was a lacklustre response by Mathu after both his goals and the response from his teammates when congratulating him.

The crowds seem to be down in a number of recent matches. Maybe today was because of Siny’s Wedding, though I wouldn’t imagine that too many fans were there for whole ceremony? 

Cheers CJ. I'll be your apprentice until you return!

I noted Mathu's response too, but I took it as being his dry response to things. I actually think his finish for the first goal is top drawer and his celebration was like, "I can still do this - that was easy!" 😁 From memory I think every player congratulated him. 

Yeah, crowd was way down - mainly because of no season ticket validity - £8 & £4 to get in - the wedding and fans choosing to go watch the Scottish Cup action at local clubs Preston & Dunbar. 

19 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Cheers CJ. I'll be your apprentice until you return!

I noted Mathu's response too, but I took it as being his dry response to things. I actually think his finish for the first goal is top drawer and his celebration was like, "I can still do this - that was easy!" 😁 From memory I think every player congratulated him. 

Yeah, crowd was way down - mainly because of no season ticket validity - £8 & £4 to get in - the wedding and fans choosing to go watch the Scottish Cup action at local clubs Preston & Dunbar. 

Not sure the full match report will return. When I attend matches this season, just good to watch games without any note taking.

My thoughts only as I’ve seen comments to the contrary elsewhere; £8 is too much for us to charge, but that is the club’s decision and they are entitled to do as they think best for them. 

11 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Not sure the full match report will return. When I attend matches this season, just good to watch games without any note taking.

My thoughts only as I’ve seen comments to the contrary elsewhere; £8 is too much for us to charge, but that is the club’s decision and they are entitled to do as they think best for them. 

Agree on note taking. Never like to miss a second! 

Don't disagree on £8 - we're one of the first to go to that price. Blackburn 2 weeks ago was only £6. But hope we're at £8 for at least 2 seasons and get the supporters in. 

Musselburgh v Broxburn match is on today, following pitch inspection. 

I did bootcamp this morning about 3 miles up the road, at Newcraighall. Didn’t run on the pitches there, rather round them. But the underfoot conditions were dreadful! Perhaps Olivebank’s drainage is much better, particularly the sterling work a number of guys did with a corner of the pitch at the Olivebank road side of the ground.

Remains to be seen whether match will be played for full 90 mins, but good luck to the boys today. Definitely a winnable match, having watched Broxburn earlier in the season at Dunbar.

Look forward to PTBs commented later today on how the match went.

Also, great that a number of supporters will be able to stay relatively dry under the temporary covering behind the goals at Market Street end of the ground. 

Musselburgh won another close and competitive game today. Broxburn started on the front foot and deservedly took the lead. They sat back after it and Burgh came back into the game, having plenty possession, particularly both full backs got well forward, as usual. Bradley Whyte took his goals well. The second after he was fouled in the box, he just got up and knocked it in. For the second week in a row Burgh's opposition hit the crossbar early in the second half but Musselburgh seemed more likely to score. It happened with the last kick of the ball. After  the Broxburn goalie missed his clearance, loanee Aaron Murrell rolled it home. He did well in the little time  he had on the pitch.      

1 hour ago, IDH said:

Musselburgh won another close and competitive game today. Broxburn started on the front foot and deservedly took the lead. They sat back after it and Burgh came back into the game, having plenty possession, particularly both full backs got well forward, as usual. Bradley Whyte took his goals well. The second after he was fouled in the box, he just got up and knocked it in. For the second week in a row Burgh's opposition hit the crossbar early in the second half but Musselburgh seemed more likely to score. It happened with the last kick of the ball. After  the Broxburn goalie missed his clearance, loanee Aaron Murrell rolled it home. He did well in the little time  he had on the pitch.      

Thought Musselburgh were very worthy winners today. The last 20 minutes of the 1st half was our best 20 of the season imho. We could have gone in at HT 2 or 3 in front.

After a few months in the job the manager most definitely has his favoured shape and personnel, and it's working for us. Assuming no injuries or suspensions, he knows who he's playing - fair play to him. 

With HoB, Blackburn & Whitehill in the next 2 weeks, we have an opportunity to cement 3rd and apply a bit pressure to the top 2 - hope so! 🙏

Edited by Passthebaw

13 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I see the Camelon vs Musselburgh game has been rescheduled for 20th November weather permitting

I got 20 minutes for my buck at the abandoned game. Now where's my receipt! 😁

Musselburgh's next 4 games in November are HoB, Whitehill, Camelon & Blackburn - be interesting to see how things pan out for us. Playing better, manager knows his personnel much better, play football and unbeaten in 5.

Edited by Passthebaw