Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

On 07/10/2021 at 14:16, Passthebaw said:

Fair play to Blackburn for keeping going, but I have to say their style of "hoofball", readily noticed by the Musselburgh supporters, from back to front is ugly to watch and rare in this day. Not sure I could watch that every week! 

I was actually a little surprised at the arrogance and disrespect from some in the Musselburgh following.  I have never heard fans continually shout "hoof" since the days I followed Wimbledon around in the late 80/early90's, and they had a 6ft 4 striker at the time, we don't!  To them, it appears that the goalkeeper kicking the ball up the park from a bye kick or from hand constitutes "hoofball", quite ridiculous really and I wasn't aware that Musselburgh were some sort of Brazil either. Some of their following resorted to shouting "beautifiul", when a pass came off, I mean WTF, embarrasing 😂

Decent team, moved it around well but gave the ball away a lot, and at times couldn't handle Blackburn mixing up the play. A clear penalty at 2-1 should have settled the game. We did resort to clearing our lines a lot deep into the second half to hang onto a point but then so do many teams. A point in this league could be critical to survival.

As for the foul mouthed guy hanging over the barrier constantly abusing the young linesman and referee, and wanting every Blackburn player booked, take a look at yourself mate.

Edited by Burnieman

11 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

My issue CJ is Blackburn done it every time. They didn't "mix it up", but maybe that's their strengths, and fair play to them, but I ain't called "passthebaw" for nothing! 😉

That's completely incorrect, in fact we scored two cracking goals which had nothing to do with so-called "hoofball", and both Meikle and Garrad in the middle of the park had great games, Hutton and Heath out wide left caused you problems all night.

10 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

That's completely incorrect, in fact we scored two cracking goals which had nothing to do with so-called "hoofball", and both Meikle and Garrad in the middle of the park had great games, Hutton and Heath out wide left caused you problems all night.

You did score 2 very good goals - one from a corner, the other from a Musselburgh mistake out of defence. No doubting that.

My point is your goalkeeper went long every time. Every time. Bypassing the midfield. 

27 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I was actually a little surprised at the arrogance and disrespect from some in the Musselburgh following.  I have never heard fans continually shout "hoof" since the days I followed Wimbledon around in the last 80/early90's, and they had a 6ft 4 striker at the time, we don't!  To them, it appears that the goalkeeper kicking the ball up the park from a bye kick or from hand constitutes "hoofball", quite ridiculous really and I wasn't aware that Musselburgh were some sort of Brazil either. Some of their following resorted to shouting "beautifiul", when a pass came off, I mean WTF, embarrasing 😂

Decent team, moved it around well but gave the ball away a lot, and at times couldn't handle Blackburn mixing up the play. A clear penalty at 2-1 should have settled the game. We did resort to clearing our lines a lot deep into the second half to hang onto a point but then so do many teams. A point in this league could be critical to survival.

As for the foul mouthed guy hanging over the barrier constantly abusing the young linesman and referee, and wanting every Blackburn player booked, take a look at yourself mate.

The "hoof" was football banter mate - lighten up. We were really surprised the keeper did that all game. 

As for the foul mouthed guy,  agree 100%. 

Wish you well.

Just now, Passthebaw said:

You did score 2 very good goals - one from a corner, the other from a Musselburgh mistake out of defence. No doubting that.

My point is your goalkeeper went long every time. Every time. Bypassing the midfield. 

That's not hoofball mate, and as you guys showed on several occasions, constantly playing it out from the back can lead to problems particularly if the opposition are pressing to stop it.  You aren't Barca and neither are we, and neither is there a manual telling you which particular style of football should or shouldn't be played.   Musselburgh are a good side and you sometimes have to adapt your play in order to compete and cause opposition problems. We did, we got a point and could have had all three although a point was probably fair.

1 minute ago, Passthebaw said:

The "hoof" was football banter mate - lighten up. We were really surprised the keeper did that all game. 

As for the foul mouthed guy,  agree 100%. 

Wish you well.

It wasn't banter, that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

I saw it as that. Thought there was a nice friendly amount 2nd half in the shed, foul mouthed guy aside. 

Foul mouthed guy needs a word in his ear from someone, there's being passionate about your team, and there's being an arsehole.

Regardless that Nitten are at the foot of the Premier league, today’s match will be anything but easy. No wins in the league yet for the away side, this season, but they come seeking their 3rd league win in a row at Olivebank.

Burgh need to be ready for a tough afternoon, but every confidence of the team getting all three points 💙

9 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Regardless that Nitten are at the foot of the Premier league, today’s match will be anything but easy. No wins in the league yet for the away side, this season, but they come seeking their 3rd league win in a row at Olivebank.

Burgh need to be ready for a tough afternoon, but every confidence of the team getting all three points 💙

Saturday saw Musselburgh line up with the same team 3 games in a row - not sure the last time that happened - in a tussle with near neighbours, Newtongrange. 

An even 1st half saw Nitten probably edge the best chances with Musselburgh #1 McCray having to make some fine stops and Liam Reid making a last second interception to keep Mussy 0-0 at HT.

But after the break, Musselburgh got an early goal from in-form Ballantyne, ably assisted by a fine cross from Callum Donaldson after a fine spell of passing and possession. This seemed to settle Musselburgh as they dominated the 2nd half for long spells without adding to their lead. A straight red for Nitten's #10 helped Musselburgh's cause.

So in the last 3 games Musselburgh have won 7 from 9 points, remaining unbeaten. Nitten remain winless after 14 league games, but based on this fighting performance this won't last for long.

#passthebaw 💙

Edited by Passthebaw

10 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Saturday saw Musselburgh line up with the same team 3 games in a row - not sure the last time that happened - in a tussle with near neighbours, Newtongrange. 

An even 1st half saw Nitten probably edge the best chances with Musselburgh #1 McCray having to make some fine stops and Liam Reid making a last second interception to keep Mussy 0-0 at HT.

But after the break, Musselburgh got an early goal from in-form Ballantyne, ably assisted by a fine cross from Callum Donaldson after a fine spell of passing and possession. This seemed to settle Musselburgh as they dominated the 2nd half for long spells without adding to their lead. A straight red for Nitten's #10 helped Musselburgh's cause.

So in the last 3 games Musselburgh have won 7 from 9 points, remaining unbeaten. Nitten remain winless after 14 league games, but based on this fighting performance this won't last for long.

#passthebaw 💙

Cheers for the report and clip showing the goal PTB 👍

I went down to Olivebank yesterday and fair enjoyed the afternoon.

I’d agree with Passthebaw. The Burgh were somewhat fortunate not to concede in the first half and Nitten shaded it.

The Burgh keeper made a lovely save in what appeared to be a 1 on 1 by closing their forward down quickly. He then made himself big as well to block a header when one of their lads was unmarked from about 4 yards out from a corner. 

Second half, Burgh were much better and knocked the ball about really well. The early goal, and what a lovely goal it was, seen them take hold of the game. Could have added to their lead but it never felt like they were under any pressure.

Not sure what that chap was playing at with the straight red, completely unnecessary. His behaviour after it was ridiculous as well.

A very minor point I’d highlight, was perhaps the boys need to be a little more decisive in and around the box. I felt they overplayed it at times and lacked the final killer pass. I found myself wanting them to pull the trigger a bit more when around the box.

Also, it was nice to see Geordie at the game with Kevin Thomson. I asked if he’d be kind enough to field a weakened team this Friday… he politely declined! Haha.

Edited by Pete83

Great post Pete 👍

PTB is usually very astute in his thoughts of each match, so it’s good someone else comes on her and acknowledges his efforts.

Not seen much of Burgh this season, but based on previous knowledge I totally agree with you when Burgh players approach the 18 yard box. Sounds like Joe Hamil has same thought on match management, as his previous incumbent, Geordie. Both wanted team to play silky football / passing game from front to back. As said recently, when it works, it’s a joy, but it does not always and often breaks down.

Quite a few times it’s in and around the opponents box, and you think why not take a chance. In a crowded box or when rain has fallen, if a shot is hit at distance, if it doesn’t hit the target, good chance the ball could ricochet and Burgh could be there to fed off rebound. At least a few times this season, Bradley White is being more adventurous / taking chances, which can lead to goals, as we saw recently. 

9 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Great post Pete 👍

PTB is usually very astute in his thoughts of each match, so it’s good someone else comes on her and acknowledges his efforts.

Not seen much of Burgh this season, but based on previous knowledge I totally agree with you when Burgh players approach the 18 yard box. Sounds like Joe Hamil has same thought on match management, as his previous incumbent, Geordie. Both wanted team to play silky football / passing game from front to back. As said recently, when it works, it’s a joy, but it does not always and often breaks down.

Quite a few times it’s in and around the opponents box, and you think why not take a chance. In a crowded box or when rain has fallen, if a shot is hit at distance, if it doesn’t hit the target, good chance the ball could ricochet and Burgh could be there to fed off rebound. At least a few times this season, Bradley White is being more adventurous / taking chances, which can lead to goals, as we saw recently. 

Bradley’s goal was outrageous the other week! Truly amazing.

You are spot on, it’s great to see a side genuinely pass the ball from the back and not go long. I was very impressed with some of the patterns and passages of play in that second half. If they can perhaps get some shots off earlier, or even play the right pass a bit quicker when they get round full backs (which they did a fair bit yesterday), then they’d have a great goal for column!

Edited by Pete83

13 hours ago, Pete83 said:

Bradley’s goal was outrageous the other week! Truly amazing.

You are spot on, it’s great to see a side genuinely pass the ball from the back and not go long. I was very impressed with some of the patterns and passages of play in that second half. If they can perhaps get some shots off earlier, or even play the right pass a bit quicker when they get round full backs (which they did a fair bit yesterday), then they’d have a great goal for column!

Thanks for the contribution, Pete83. I said after the match I felt we were a little wasteful in the final third when we should have done better with the final pass, pulled the trigger or showed a bit more composure. But I say that very respectfully as it was great to see, because lately I've felt most of our offensive players have been out of form. But Saturday encouraged me that maybe the tide was turning a little. We play some lovely football, but it'd be nice to see it further up the park, creating more chances. 

On another note, Musselburgh have a very young side and I think that's the direction the new manager is going. From a teenager in goals to the 4 defenders all under 25, through to Bradley, still only 21, to Declan, Josh, Dean etc, we're a young side and it augers well for the future. 

13 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Thank you for this PTB - hopefully it is well attended, as it has been when previous forums took place. Great opportunity to hear at first hand what position the club is in and to be able to ask questions of the committee, manager and players at first hand.

Idle weekend for Musselburgh since Tyecastle knocked us out in the first round of the South Challenge Cup. Still, it may give fans an opportunity to watch two rivals ; Nitten V Tranent play in the cup, or an equally intreging match being the two pacesetters in Conference A go head to head for the first time this season: Haddington v Leith. Think the latter will be my match of the day.

1 minute ago, Casey Jones said:

Thank you for this PTB - hopefully it is well attended, as it has been when previous forums took place. Great opportunity to hear at first hand what position the club is in and to be able to ask questions of the committee, manager and players at first hand.

Idle weekend for Musselburgh since Tyecastle knocked us out in the first round of the South Challenge Cup. Still, it may give fans an opportunity to watch two rivals ; Nitten V Tranent play in the cup, or an equally intreging match being the two pacesetters in Conference A go head to head for the first time this season: Haddington v Leith. Think the latter will be my match of the day.

Might nip up to Nitten. Tranent likely to be too good for them but you never know! Enjoy wherever you are CJ!

Nitten it was! Tranent deserved their win despite Nitten giving them a wee fright, including a 2nd goal that wasn't offside, but was chalked off. 

Nice to see a couple of Mussy players at the game checking out the opposition......and not sitting in the pub! 😁

Cheers! Here's to next week!