Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

Good read PTB; thank you.

Do you think there will be any changes in tomorrow’s line up. Will the new guy, Tanner keep his place? Do you think Conor cemented his return to the midfield, or will Fiddler return? At the start of last year’s cancelled season, there was a thought that Mathu would be Burgh’s 12th man. However, even now, it seems you can’t keep our greatest ever player out of the starting line up, when he is fit. Do you see this continuing?

Lets see what the main man the main man PTB thinks?

2 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Good read PTB; thank you.

Do you think there will be any changes in tomorrow’s line up. Will the new guy, Tanner keep his place? Do you think Conor cemented his return to the midfield, or will Fiddler return? At the start of last year’s cancelled season, there was a thought that Mathu would be Burgh’s 12th man. However, even now, it seems you can’t keep our greatest ever player out of the starting line up, when he is fit. Do you see this continuing?

Lets see what the main man the main man PTB thinks?

If I were manager (heaven forbid! 😁) I'd immediately return McManus at CH, alongside Page. Tanner may play if he plays 3 at the back. Jono has been excellent this year, and Page has been excellent the last 2, particularly in the air. 

Thomson did well and deserves to keep his place. The only change I'd make is McManus for Tanner, although I've heard of an enforced change so we'll just need to see. 

"Main man" over and out! 😁

Cheers PTB / MM

Always enjoy your thoughts. I favour a back 3 as well. However for tomorrow’s match, I would either have a back 4, or if it is a back 3, that the 2 wing halves ensure they are quick at getting back into defence. Have seen Tranent twice this season and they are nippy at moving up the park, either straight through the middle, or equally at home running up either wing, especially on left hand side. 

Hard match, but after beating Jeanfield and Penicuik this season, albeit at home, Musselburgh has shown on their day they can be a match for any team in the league. 

What today’s match showed today is that at least 1 forward, if not 2 is a must for Musselburgh and just as important a holding midfielder, the likes Burgh have not had since Darren Smith back in 2014-15. 

Sad to say but Burgh were lucky to only lose 3-0. The U20 keeper, Ross McRae made a number of good saves to keep the score line ‘respectable’. It also looked as if the best player Musselburgh has ever had; Mathu King, was playing in his 1st match for the team. He, like most of the Burgh fans, was hugely frustrated at the lack of passes played to him. It was as if his teammates weren’t sure if Mathu could be trusted with the ball.

The whole of Olivebank must have got a huge lift with the 1-0 midweek home win against Penicuik four days ago. Chalk n cheese today as Tranent never gave Burgh a chance.

On 04/09/2021 at 18:56, Casey Jones said:

What today’s match showed today is that at least 1 forward, if not 2 is a must for Musselburgh and just as important a holding midfielder, the likes Burgh have not had since Darren Smith back in 2014-15. 

Sad to say but Burgh were lucky to only lose 3-0. The U20 keeper, Ross McRae made a number of good saves to keep the score line ‘respectable’. It also looked as if the best player Musselburgh has ever had; Mathu King, was playing in his 1st match for the team. He, like most of the Burgh fans, was hugely frustrated at the lack of passes played to him. It was as if his teammates weren’t sure if Mathu could be trusted with the ball.

The whole of Olivebank must have got a huge lift with the 1-0 midweek home win against Penicuik four days ago. Chalk n cheese today as Tranent never gave Burgh a chance.

I've counted a squad of 22 already, so if any more are coming in I think the same may be leaving. 

Saturday's performance was very disappointing, but I'm not convinced of any radical changes......yet!

24 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

I've counted a squad of 22 already, so if any more are coming in I think the same may be leaving. 

Saturday's performance was very disappointing, but I'm not convinced of any radical changes......yet!

That is actually quite incredible PTB and as always you are correct - and you can add another, if you count Binnie, the goalkeeping coach as the 3rd keeper. I will need to watch and would not say who to leave out, but we definitely need another forward in the squad - and not just to make up the numbers. We have nine midfielders (11 if you add two defenders who can play in either position). That is where you could reduce the number(s). 

Anyway, back to Cup business on Saturday. I would definitely give some of the fringe players a run out against Tynecastle. No point in such a huge squad if you don’t give all guys a chance to show the manager of their worth. 

On 06/09/2021 at 21:25, Casey Jones said:

That is actually quite incredible PTB and as always you are correct - and you can add another, if you count Binnie, the goalkeeping coach as the 3rd keeper. I will need to watch and would not say who to leave out, but we definitely need another forward in the squad - and not just to make up the numbers. We have nine midfielders (11 if you add two defenders who can play in either position). That is where you could reduce the number(s). 

Anyway, back to Cup business on Saturday. I would definitely give some of the fringe players a run out against Tynecastle. No point in such a huge squad if you don’t give all guys a chance to show the manager of their worth. 

Only watched Lothian Thistle away and Tranent away so maybe not qualified to comment but I'm very surprised by the assessment of needing another forward.

I am not familiar with the positions the younger lads on the bench Gregory, Wynne play so I respectly leave them out of this point.

Matti King, record goal scorer

Darren Downie, Top scorer last year, over 50 top league goals

Dean Ballantyne not got his stats to hand but a top goal scorer

Jordan Smith scored bucket loads over the last 3 seasons with Tynecastle, Tranent and Bonnyrigg signed him

Connor Thomson - I believe his best position is off the front man/men has loads of goals over the years.

I know you are gonna mention injuries & suspensions but very rare all 5 would be out.

I also feel (maybe down to injuries) a fair few players looked out of position.

I think the squad size is huge compared to pretty much everyone else and has been for 2 or 3 years. 

I think like you that Saturday is a chance to bring in the squad players who haven't featured as much. I would have Bradley Whyte as captain - this lad is one of the most talented players in the league and would bring in the 20s lads. After all I would imagine that's the route they wanted to go down when they started the 20s team.

Depending on the thoughts that the league is a 2 horse race it maybe is worth going with 6 or 7 younger lads and giving them 30 games experience for next season. 

2 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Only watched Lothian Thistle away and Tranent away so maybe not qualified to comment but I'm very surprised by the assessment of needing another forward.

I am not familiar with the positions the younger lads on the bench Gregory, Wynne play so I respectly leave them out of this point.

Matti King, record goal scorer

Darren Downie, Top scorer last year, over 50 top league goals

Dean Ballantyne not got his stats to hand but a top goal scorer

Jordan Smith scored bucket loads over the last 3 seasons with Tynecastle, Tranent and Bonnyrigg signed him

Connor Thomson - I believe his best position is off the front man/men has loads of goals over the years.

I know you are gonna mention injuries & suspensions but very rare all 5 would be out.

I also feel (maybe down to injuries) a fair few players looked out of position.

I think the squad size is huge compared to pretty much everyone else and has been for 2 or 3 years. 

I think like you that Saturday is a chance to bring in the squad players who haven't featured as much. I would have Bradley Whyte as captain - this lad is one of the most talented players in the league and would bring in the 20s lads. After all I would imagine that's the route they wanted to go down when they started the 20s team.

Depending on the thoughts that the league is a 2 horse race it maybe is worth going with 6 or 7 younger lads and giving them 30 games experience for next season. 

First of all, I don’t disagree with anything you say in your post. 👍

Second of all, I don’t think you will argue with me in that I am opinionated in my views. People will either like that or think I am an obnoxious p***k at times. I don’t mean to be the 2nd but that’s where it is. 

In Mathu King, Musselburgh, in my opinion have the greatest player in our level of football over the last 10+ years, taking all this into account. Even now, Mathu is still one of the best forward players in the league and rarely gets beat in high ball challenges. I just think the guy needs help at the moment in the Burgh front line., though I would have him starting in all matches if his legs/body allows this.

Darren D is a brilliant goalscorer, but he has had a number of injuries over the past 2+ Covid-seasons and again this season.

Dean B was brought in due to his goal scoring while at Dunbar. Unfortunately, this hasn’t yet been reciprocated at Musselburgh, though I appreciate it is early doors given the reduced 2020-21 season.

Jordan S had a phenomenal season, I think in 2019-20 with Tynecastle, hence the moves to Bonnyrigg, then Tranent and now Musselburgh. With only 2-3 games so far, obviously can’t say how his scoring proficiency will pan out this season.

Conor T is not a forward, in my view. 

Burgh currently sit 5th in the Premier league table. However, if you look at the scoring charts, Burgh are 13th in league and none of the 4 forwards are anywhere near top of your scoring charts, at the moment.

Love my team, but still think we need either a poacher in our team who is going to grab goals or a burley forward who can complement Mathu & any other forwards in the team.

On the issue of captain, once Mathu retires, I think that the next player who should captain the team should be mouthy AND be a defender, where they see far more of the flow of the match as opposed  to  a midfielder or a forward. 

Cheers Faceman 👍

Musselburgh were poor again today. Tynecastle deserved there victory. They messed up a few 2 on 2's, hit the post and missed a good opportunity before scoring with 10 minutes remaining. Musselburgh created very little in response. I am not sure if the problem is entirely the forwards, although we do miss Darren Downie to hold the ball up and bring others into the game. We did bring on an under 20 players who looked like he could play that role too. We did leave out a number of players who have been playing regularly and played some of the fringe players. The most impressive of those was Liam Gregory but he did not receive the ball often enough in my opinion.      

12 hours ago, IDH said:

Musselburgh were poor again today. Tynecastle deserved there victory. They messed up a few 2 on 2's, hit the post and missed a good opportunity before scoring with 10 minutes remaining. Musselburgh created very little in response. I am not sure if the problem is entirely the forwards, although we do miss Darren Downie to hold the ball up and bring others into the game. We did bring on an under 20 players who looked like he could play that role too. We did leave out a number of players who have been playing regularly and played some of the fringe players. The most impressive of those was Liam Gregory but he did not receive the ball often enough in my opinion.      

I cannot remember the last time a forward scored from open play? You're right, it's not their entire responsibility but it helps. 

If we concede one goal at home at this level we should still win. 

Disappointing spell for the team, but we go again next week! 💙

The answer is Darren Downie v Dunbar. He also scored against Stoneyburn. Dean Ballantyne scored in our opening league match and that's it apart from the now departed Nathan Evans. Since he went to Bonnyrigg we have scored 8 times of which 4 have been penalties. No wonder the manager gave the Under 20's striker a chance.  

As much as there are some mouth-watering Scottish Cup ties on today, notably Penicuik v Tranent, my undivided attention will be at Olivebank as Musselburgh attempt to recover from their recent poorer performances.

I'm intrigued by the team selection today? Will last week's "rested players" return? Will the manager play himself? Who gets the nod up top after a disappointing run for the strikers?

After a well deserved win over DB a few weeks ago, Mussy should have nothing to fear and an early goal will do the team morale the world of good! #montheburgh 💙

Musselburgh were much better today in a very competitive game. The return of Darren Downie helped but it was an overall team performance that earned the win. The highlight being the first goal. Greg Page driving forward, before passing into Jordan Smith  who played a cute little pass onto an onrushing Bradley Whyte who ran forward with the ball before calmly slotting it past the Bell goalie. Nobody better.  

14 hours ago, IDH said:

Musselburgh were much better today in a very competitive game. The return of Darren Downie helped but it was an overall team performance that earned the win. The highlight being the first goal. Greg Page driving forward, before passing into Jordan Smith  who played a cute little pass onto an onrushing Bradley Whyte who ran forward with the ball before calmly slotting it past the Bell goalie. Nobody better.  

It's great to have big Daz back as he will make a difference. Page has been excellent for many weeks now with him & Liam keeping Jono out the team for now. And yes, great to see the industrious Brad get a goal from a great through run and a one on one - he'd missed his last couple and showed great composure yesterday.

I'd love to see our forwards get a goal or 2 as it's desperately needed for their confidence if nothing else. We cannot forever depend on penalties and late Liam Reid winners (3-2 again last minute via Jeanfield couple home games ago). A huge win yesterday. More of the same this Saturday please. 💙

Must win match tomorrow to keep Burgh in top 4 of Premier league. Also with Tynecastle losing heavily in previous two (cup) matches, Musselburgh will be hoping to reverse the loss to Tynecastle, from a couple of weeks ago. 

Musselburgh must be heartened by a 3-2 win last week at home to Dundonald and will be looking for two league wins in a row for only the 2nd time this season

mtb 👍

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Must win match tomorrow to keep Burgh in top 4 of Premier league. Also with Tynecastle losing heavily in previous two (cup) matches, Musselburgh will be hoping to reverse the loss to Tynecastle, from a couple of weeks ago. 

Musselburgh must be heartened by a 3-2 win last week at home to Dundonald and will be looking for two league wins in a row for only the 2nd time this season

mtb 👍

What's occurring  wi the 1.30 kick off?

10 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

What's occurring  wi the 1.30 kick off?

It’s the Annual Burgh Ball tonight NB - prob 1st one in 3 years due to COVID. Starts at 7:30pm, so League and Tynecastle must have agreed to bring the kick off forward to allow the Burgh players, officials and fans time to get into their glad-rags  for tonight. 👍

Gutted at getting beat to Tynecastle at Olivebank, Second loss to same team in two weeks. Even more gutted, given we beat Dundonald last week, but the team just cannot get any consistency and have only won two games in a row once this season. 

All is not lost as Burgh are 5th in league, but do sit 14 pts behind top 2 teams. Our aim should be to finish top of the rest, which is still within Burgh’s grasp.