Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

10 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

https://www.eosfl.com/sipg/1057

Details of tomorrow's matches taken from the East of Scotland Football League Website:

Edinburgh College v Preston Athletic Clifton Hall School Newbridge 8pm Leith Athletic v Dalkeith Thistle Meggetland 3G 8pm
Penicuik Athletic v Sauchie Peffermill 3G 8pm Tynecastle v Inverkeithing Hillfield Sw. Saughton 3G 8pm
Musselburgh Athletic v Edinburgh United Pinkie Playing fields 8pm Newtongrange Star v Livingston United Poltonhall Rec Ground Bonnyrigg 8pm

Penicuik v Sauchie is being played at Penicuik Park Astro 8pm ko

24 minutes ago, The REAL Rookie Cookie said:

Penicuik v Sauchie is being played at Penicuik Park Astro 8pm ko

Cheers Cookie for the correction. Hopefully the guy will read this 👍

So is playing at Penicuik Park a one-off tomorrow, or is the info on the EoS website wrong re Pefermill? 

Things you don’t like to see;

An ex-Burgh coach liking a tweet confirming your team has been beat.

Losing to a team who had only one once this season. Normally HoB are hard to beat, but haven’t been the team of recent years. Last Saturday, Burgh were 4th, now they sit in 8th. 

Two very tough teams to play in next couple of weeks, which could make or break the season for the Burgh. Let’s hope it’s the former! 

13 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Things you don’t like to see;

An ex-Burgh coach liking a tweet confirming your team has been beat.

Losing to a team who had only one once this season. Normally HoB are hard to beat, but haven’t been the team of recent years. Last Saturday, Burgh were 4th, now they sit in 8th. 

Two very tough teams to play in next couple of weeks, which could make or break the season for the Burgh. Let’s hope it’s the former! 

I'm not sure which coach you are referring to CJ. What I can say is today was a bad day at the office for the Burgh. As much as we dominated, HoB defended manfully and we simply didn't create enough chances. Very disappointing as I thought HoB were a shadow of their former selves, but fair play to them. They were delighted at the final whistle. 

6 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

I'm not sure which coach you are referring to CJ. What I can say is today was a bad day at the office for the Burgh. As much as we dominated, HoB defended manfully and we simply didn't create enough chances. Very disappointing as I thought HoB were a shadow of their former selves, but fair play to them. They were delighted at the final whistle. 

Won’t name him, but if you check you will see who I mean. From losing a 2-0 lead in midweek, to today’s result it has been a bad few days at the office. All clubs go through this but never good when it happens to yours! In recent times, Burgh have played well against ‘better teams’ so hopefully this will be same for the next two Saturday’s.

30 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Won’t name him, but if you check you will see who I mean. From losing a 2-0 lead in midweek, to today’s result it has been a bad few days at the office. All clubs go through this but never good when it happens to yours! In recent times, Burgh have played well against ‘better teams’ so hopefully this will be same for the next two Saturday’s.

We'll bounce back! Defence was shuffled today because of C19 and we lost Declan in the middle of the park as a result to play CH. New keeper, new coaching staff, new striker......it'll come good when you least expect it - next week! 🤞

Huge match today, away to Irvine Meadow in the preliminary round of Scottish Cup.

Burgh should go with no fear. Currently 8th in league with 1 loss out of 8 matches in league and that was at home.

Meadow are 7th in WoS league with 2 losses out of 9 matches in league; both at home. 

Same stage last year, Burgh beat Penicuik away. Fingers crossed for same outcome this afternoon 👍💙

On 28/08/2021 at 11:36, Casey Jones said:

Huge match today, away to Irvine Meadow in the preliminary round of Scottish Cup.

Burgh should go with no fear. Currently 8th in league with 1 loss out of 8 matches in league and that was at home.

Meadow are 7th in WoS league with 2 losses out of 9 matches in league; both at home. 

Same stage last year, Burgh beat Penicuik away. Fingers crossed for same outcome this afternoon 👍💙

Disappointing day, CJ.

Went 1 up, then 2 up but for a bizarre "VAR like" decision by the officials! 2nd goal given, no offside then they changed their mind! It was odd and it seemed to have an effect on Mussy as for the remainder of the half they were on the back foot even though Irvine Meadow rarely threatened. 

2nd half saw Irvine Meadow dominate possession without causing Mussy too much trouble. But we Mussy fans felt we were dropping deeper through the game and sadly another 2 goals were conceded in the last 20 minutes. 

Many Mussy fans will point to some poor officiating at an obvious hand ball by Irvine Meadow in the lead up to their 2nd goal, and an apparent hand ball in the Irvine Meadow penalty box that would have given Mussy a late penalty, but I was disappointed by Mussy's performance after the cancelled 2nd goal. I think the boys are lacking some belief. We played a 4-4-2 when we've played 3 at the back all season. I also thought some of the substitutions were strange and was surprised not to see the normally composed Connor Thompson get on the park.

A great Mussy support of over 100 would be my estimate in a crowd that wouldn't be far short of 500. Ultimately a disappointing day but we go again on Tuesday & Saturday against the top 2 in the division. 

My M.O.M would have been Paige who I don't recollect missing a header all day. 

On 29/08/2021 at 18:20, Passthebaw said:

Disappointing day, CJ.

Went 1 up, then 2 up but for a bizarre "VAR like" decision by the officials! 2nd goal given, no offside then they changed their mind! It was odd and it seemed to have an effect on Mussy as for the remainder of the half they were on the back foot even though Irvine Meadow rarely threatened. 

2nd half saw Irvine Meadow dominate possession without causing Mussy too much trouble. But we Mussy fans felt we were dropping deeper through the game and sadly another 2 goals were conceded in the last 20 minutes. 

Many Mussy fans will point to some poor officiating at an obvious hand ball by Irvine Meadow in the lead up to their 2nd goal, and an apparent hand ball in the Irvine Meadow penalty box that would have given Mussy a late penalty, but I was disappointed by Mussy's performance after the cancelled 2nd goal. I think the boys are lacking some belief. We played a 4-4-2 when we've played 3 at the back all season. I also thought some of the substitutions were strange and was surprised not to see the normally composed Connor Thompson get on the park.

A great Mussy support of over 100 would be my estimate in a crowd that wouldn't be far short of 500. Ultimately a disappointing day but we go again on Tuesday & Saturday against the top 2 in the division. 

My M.O.M would have been Paige who I don't recollect missing a header all day. 

Wasn’t there PTB, so good to hear from someone who was. Interesting what you say about decisions made by the officials. I know when I’m at matches how peed off you can be if the ref or lines-person gives an incorrect decision. However, match is 90 mins and overall players have to take main share of responsibility if they get beat.

I hear what you say about back 3 v a 4-4-2. I think a back 3 is best, as long as wing-halfs’ come back quickly when opposition are in attack. But on Saturday, not sure how we could have played a back three. We released Brad and Liam Reid, I assume was unavailable. So only Jono and Page were natural centre backs (though Dec would have fit the bill to make up the three).

Two defeats in a row, so disappointed to hear what you say about belief of players, particularly with Penicuik and Tranent the next two opponents. Given so few new personnel at the club, surprising about lack of belief as most players should know each other’s games inside out. Definitely need all guys to pull together starting from tomorrow night. 

On 29/08/2021 at 18:20, Passthebaw said:

Went 1 up, then 2 up but for a bizarre "VAR like" decision by the officials! 2nd goal given, no offside then they changed their mind!

Looks like the correct decision, the eventual goalscorer was in an offside position and interfered with an opponent - maybe hard for the AR to tell so had to check with the ref. The handball shout on the youtube highlights was probably correct as well, the Meadow player had his arm by his side.

6 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Looks like the correct decision, the eventual goalscorer was in an offside position and interfered with an opponent - maybe hard for the AR to tell so had to check with the ref. The handball shout on the youtube highlights was probably correct as well, the Meadow player had his arm by his side.

Ultimately it may have been, but what it doesn't show was how long it took to chalk the goal off. Neither the lino nor the ref initially didn't give the goal. I'm not sure what instigated the reversal. Cheers for the video - first time I've seen it. 

17 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Wasn’t there PTB, so good to hear from someone who was. Interesting what you say about decisions made by the officials. I know when I’m at matches how peed off you can be if the ref or lines-person gives an incorrect decision. However, match is 90 mins and overall players have to take main share of responsibility if they get beat.

I hear what you say about back 3 v a 4-4-2. I think a back 3 is best, as long as wing-halfs’ come back quickly when opposition are in attack. But on Saturday, not sure how we could have played a back three. We released Brad and Liam Reid, I assume was unavailable. So only Jono and Page were natural centre backs (though Dec would have fit the bill to make up the three).

Two defeats in a row, so disappointed to hear what you say about belief of players, particularly with Penicuik and Tranent the next two opponents. Given so few new personnel at the club, surprising about lack of belief as most players should know each other’s games inside out. Definitely need all guys to pull together starting from tomorrow night. 

We all thought Declan would be in the back 3 as he was the week before, CJ. 

Maybe I'm wrong on "belief". I hope so, but I just sense an anxiety the last couple games. 

Huge game tonight against a vibrant Penicuik. Report back in later my thoughts. 

3 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

We all thought Declan would be in the back 3 as he was the week before, CJ. 

Maybe I'm wrong on "belief". I hope so, but I just sense an anxiety the last couple games. 

Huge game tonight against a vibrant Penicuik. Report back in later my thoughts. 

To quote PTB; huge game tonight, and a huge win, inflicting Penicuik’s 1st loss of any points this season, after winning 1-0 at home. Will say no more and look forward to PTB’s thoughts when he sober’s up from his adrenaline rush! 👍

Edited by Casey Jones

Firstly, the ground looked terrific and credit to all the work that’s been done around the place.

Obviously disappointing to lose but Penicuik didn’t do enough to win the game. Neither keeper had that much to do apart from 1 good save each. Both defences did their jobs and your left back marshalled our pacy front pair well. If a goal was to come it always looked like being from a set piece/penalty for Musselburgh or a Penicuik counter attack.  The pen looked liked one of those cases where the defender can’t do much about it as it was hit so hard. Seemed to be few complaints about it. 

Hopefully we’ll bounce back at the weekend and you can do similar damage to Tranent. 

C9461E00-474C-4966-8D8D-0FAE9A3FF345.jpeg

5 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Ultimately it may have been, but what it doesn't show was how long it took to chalk the goal off. Neither the lino nor the ref initially didn't give the goal. I'm not sure what instigated the reversal. Cheers for the video - first time I've seen it. 

Assume they were on comms discussing the situation, they had two separate pieces of information that needed putting together to get the correct decision.

Though maybe better for the AR to put the flag up straight away (without indicating offside) so the players don't celebrate, but then they might go over and harass the AR.

On 31/08/2021 at 22:03, Casey Jones said:

To quote PTB; huge game tonight, and a huge win, inflicting Penicuik’s 1st loss of any points this season, after winning 1-0 at home. Will say no more and look forward to PTB’s thoughts when he sober’s up from his adrenaline rush! 👍

A significant win for Musselburgh in the midst of a tough week. Mussy made 2 changes with new signing, Tanner, coming in for a poorly McManus, and Thomson replacing Fiddler. I guessed the crowd was around the 500 mark as supporters of both Musselburgh and a high-flying Penicuik looked forward to a mild night under the lights at Olivebank. I'd have thought Tranent would have had some supporters there too as their scheduled fixture had been called off earlier in the day. It all made for an exciting game! 

An even first half, and despite the excellent numbers in attendance, I felt the crowd were quiet and slightly subdued, probably because the game wasn't great. Penucuik started the best, then Mussy got into the game, however neither team showed much quality. Second half saw Mussy mainly on top, but once again it took a penalty kick around 15 minutes from time from Mussy Legend, King, to seal the points. There were dissenting voices from Penicuik fans, however raising your hands these days in the box from that "unnatural position" will result in a PK! Penicuik huffed and puffed to the final whistle, but tonight wasn't their night and their unbeaten run came to an end.

With 9 league wins on the bounce, I was disappointed with Penicuik, and as their many supporters around me stated quite openly, this wasn't their best night. Mussy will be delighted with the clean sheet, and other than a couple of self-inflicted errors by their defence, the back 4 and keeper were rarely threatened. The same could actually be said about Cuikie's back 4 - rarely threatened, and I only recollect the keeper having to make one save in the first half from an advancing Whyte. One to forget for Penicuik, but in the scheme of things, their fans must be delighted with their start to the season. Mussy now go into the Derby with Tranent looking to build on things. It'll be a cracker for sure, and one I'm hugely looking forward to.

Burgh’s last two opponents have been Irvine Meadow and Penicuik. Yet, tomorrow’s match could be the toughest test of the  past 8 days- away to new league leaders, Tranent.

At this stage, the likeliest outcome for Premier League Champions is either Penicuik or Tranent. Having won against the Miidlothian team, in midweek, Burgh will be looking to do the double tomorrow.