Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

24 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Huge ask Pete to both. Saturday coming is already a must win match, I think. We play Jeanfield, at home, and I would have picked them as favourites, just, over Tranent, for the title. Win the match and we go above Jeanfield. 

Two big ‘ifs’ and no certainty in any of this. If we had beat Camelon on Tuesday, (called off after 26 mins), and we won there last season, then if we beat either either Tranent or Penicuik, after 6 matches, we would be 1 point behind. So no forlong hope at this time of season. 

Think top teams will be looking for home wins against potential title rivals. Think this is going to be close at the top come end of season. 

You wouldn't have won on Tuesday lol. Last seasons Galacticos aren't their. New era at Camelon

3 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

It was a great result PTB! The pitch drainage must be better at Cardenden this season!  Nathan Evans scored again yesterday and long may it continue. Is he now the 1st pick up front? 

Puts us in great shape for home match on Saturday against Jeanfield. 

Pitch was in great shape, CJ. 

Yes, I think Nathan is our #1 striker just now. He's had a good pre-season and start to the season. He shouldn't be taking penalties though! 😁 

2 hours ago, Pete83 said:

I popped into the thread to check how the game went yesterday - by all accounts, a great result for the Burgh. I seen the bus was pretty packed for the trip with away fans too, love to see that!

Having looked at the table this morning, it will be a big ask to keep in touch with Tranent and Penicuik this season. Fingers crossed though!

Nice bus full yesterday, Pete. We were late though, missing first 2-3 minutes and our opening goal. 

I've always felt Tranent would win the league this year and nothing has changed my mind. They have a great squad with plenty strength in depth. 

48 minutes ago, yessiricanboogie said:

You wouldn't have won on Tuesday lol. Last seasons Galacticos aren't their. New era at Camelon

Not sure but who can tell lol 

Can't remember the last time Camelon has beaten Musselburgh home or away. Always close matches which are usually drawn or Musselburgh win by the odd goal.

9 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Not sure but who can tell lol 

Can't remember the last time Camelon has beaten Musselburgh home or away. Always close matches which are usually drawn or Musselburgh win by the odd goal.

Facemans wedding day apparently which im sure was my cousiins wedding back in 2011 or 2012 we won 2-1 at home im sure. We never had a good record against the burgh

On 01/08/2021 at 12:17, Pete83 said:

I popped into the thread to check how the game went yesterday - by all accounts, a great result for the Burgh. I seen the bus was pretty packed for the trip with away fans too, love to see that!

Having looked at the table this morning, it will be a big ask to keep in touch with Tranent and Penicuik this season. Fingers crossed though!

Nice bus full yesterday, Pete. We were late though, missing first 2-3 minutes and our opening goal. 

I've always felt Tranent would win the league this year and nothing has changed my mind. They have a great squad with plenty strength in depth. 

I'm proud to be a Musselburgh supporter tonight.

0-2 down against title challengers, Jeanfield Swifts, after 20 minutes today, Musselburgh weren't at the races, but an opportune goal by on-fire striker Nathan Evans gave us a hope approaching HT.  But, like last week, a missed penalty, this time by Darren Downie, prevented Musselburgh going in at HT all square - a result 20 minutes earlier Musselburgh would have craved! 

After no changes at HT, no team dominated, although Musselburgh were probably just in the ascendancy looking for that all important equaliser. It came again from on-fire Nathan Evans, this time from an acute angle on the edge of the box. A great finish, one that any striker would be proud of, and typifying his importance to Musselburgh this season. 

But would Musselburgh settle for a share of the points from 0-2 down? No! Earlier substitutions saw Jeffries replace Fiddler and Gregory replace Orru - both surprising substitutions to the crowd, but both correct as the fresh legs made a difference!

On the 88th minute a long throw into the box found Liam Reid and he out jumped the JS keeper to grab a 3-2 lead. You could see what it meant to Liam and the players with the whole squad leaping & celebrating a winner from an unlikely hero.

From 0-2 to 3-2, Musselburgh kept their unbeaten wrong going with a real determination after losing 2 soft early goals. JS will be gutted as they were so in control of the early part of this game. But, over the piece, Musselburgh deserved to win!

3 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

I'm proud to be a Musselburgh supporter tonight.

0-2 down against title challengers, Jeanfield Swifts, after 20 minutes today, Musselburgh weren't at the races, but an opportune goal by on-fire striker Nathan Evans gave us a hope approaching HT.  But, like last week, a missed penalty, this time by Darren Downie, prevented Musselburgh going in at HT all square - a result 20 minutes earlier Musselburgh would have craved! 

After no changes at HT, no team dominated, although Musselburgh were probably just in the ascendancy looking for that all important equaliser. It came again from on-fire Nathan Evans, this time from an acute angle on the edge of the box. A great finish, one that any striker would be proud of, and typifying his importance to Musselburgh this season. 

But would Musselburgh settle for a share of the points from 0-2 down? No! Earlier substitutions saw Jeffries replace Fiddler and Gregory replace Orru - both surprising substitutions to the crowd, but both correct as the fresh legs made a difference!

On the 88th minute a long throw into the box found Liam Reid and he out jumped the JS keeper to grab a 3-2 lead. You could see what it meant to Liam and the players with the whole squad leaping & celebrating a winner from an unlikely hero.

From 0-2 to 3-2, Musselburgh kept their unbeaten wrong going with a real determination after losing 2 soft early goals. JS will be gutted as they were so in control of the early part of this game. But, over the piece, Musselburgh deserved to win!

I bet you Liam’s old man and his lovely wife were jumping about too! The photo of Liam, after scoring, shows you just how much Burgh means to the boy. 

Two seasons ago, Jeanfield demolished Burgh home and away and were by far the best team Musselburgh played that season. After a stuttering start this season, Jeanfield had won their last 3 league matches. So, going up 2-0 early in match I bet few at the ground thought a 3-2 home win was lightly. All in all a fabulous result for Musselburgh. 

What a start Nathan Evans has made this season. Two cracking goals today with a similar goal/angle to the one scored last week at Dundonald. 

Heard that Sir Jackie coming on as 2nd half sub was main reason Musselburgh won match as he took control of midfield. Not sure if PTB will agree, but if so, good to see one of top 2 or 3 best players at Olivebank in the last 10 years still an important guy to have around.

5 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

What a start Nathan Evans has made this season. Two cracking goals today with a similar goal/angle to the one scored last week at Dundonald. 

Heard that Sir Jackie coming on as 2nd half sub was main reason Musselburgh won match as he took control of midfield. Not sure if PTB will agree, but if so, good to see one of top 2 or 3 best players at Olivebank in the last 10 years still an important guy to have around.

Nathan has been a revelation this season! 2 great finishes today and a long throw-in assist for the winner.

Jackie came on for the player manager, Joe Hamill, and made a difference, yes. He was as busy as ever and broke up much of what JS tried to develop. All the substitutions made a difference yesterday. Squad looking stronger by the day! 

Still Chuffed with yesterday’s result and indeed the last 2 results. Most managers will go out with the attitude that they want their players to win all matches. But in reality, usually a tough away day at Dundonald, then an equally tough day against a top team in Jeanfield. To get 6 points; coaching staff and players must be happy at that and fans are proud as punch! 

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Still Chuffed with yesterday’s result and indeed the last 2 results. Most managers will go out with the attitude that they want their players to win all matches. But in reality, usually a tough away day at Dundonald, then an equally tough day against a top team in Jeanfield. To get 6 points; coaching staff and players must be happy at that and fans are proud as punch! 

Over 380 there yesterday, CJ. Impressive considering weather forecast, but it was another braw day ideal for football. 

Cup game on Tuesday so expect to see some fringe or recently injured players getting a game. 

14 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Nathan Evans away to Bonnyrigg. Lad has been on fire this season. Wish him well.

https://www.facebook.com/100063792631794/posts/217898617013225/

PTB - I hope the Manager and the President have already got a replacement in mind for Nathan. I'm sure he must have scored more goals that all other players so far in the team already this season.

We have three forwards still there but definitely need a good striker/goalscorer to come in for Nathan.

43 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

PTB - I hope the Manager and the President have already got a replacement in mind for Nathan. I'm sure he must have scored more goals that all other players so far in the team already this season.

We have three forwards still there but definitely need a good striker/goalscorer to come in for Nathan.

That won’t be easy as they are like hens teeth  hence the reason he is away to Bonnyrigg 

2 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Not so sure, CJ. This move has been rumoured for a few weeks and I assumed the delay was getting a player or 2 in as replacement, but none so far. 

There is a good opportunity now for Dean Ballantyne to get a run in the team alongside Darren Downie and Mathu King when he's back fit. Plus, Connor Thomson can play off the front so there are options, but Nathan will be difficult to replace on recent form. 

2 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Not so sure, CJ. This move has been rumoured for a few weeks and I assumed the delay was getting a player or 2 in as replacement, but none so far. 

There is a good opportunity now for Dean Ballantyne to get a run in the team alongside Darren Downie and Mathu King when he's back fit. Plus, Connor Thomson can play off the front so there are options, but Nathan will be difficult to replace on recent form. 

Cheers PTB. Was Dean injured on Saturday as I didn’t see him on the subs bench. Perhaps it’s what I said when JH became manager, that it might be hard to get a good old fashioned striker since most of those available  would have been snapped up before start of season.

Saw Musselburgh U20s won on Friday, scoring 6 goals in the process; 4 by one guy, 2 by another Connor, who has been at the U20s 2-3 seasons. Tomorrow’s cup tie would be a great time to bring in the 2 young guys and see how they get on. Less, potential, pressure for them in a match, Musselburgh should win!  I don’t think Connor T is a forward. Scores goals but better in midfield. Just my thought though. 

50 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Cheers PTB. Was Dean injured on Saturday as I didn’t see him on the subs bench. Perhaps it’s what I said when JH became manager, that it might be hard to get a good old fashioned striker since most of those available  would have been snapped up before start of season.

Saw Musselburgh U20s won on Friday, scoring 6 goals in the process; 4 by one guy, 2 by another Connor, who has been at the U20s 2-3 seasons. Tomorrow’s cup tie would be a great time to bring in the 2 young guys and see how they get on. Less, potential, pressure for them in a match, Musselburgh should win!  I don’t think Connor T is a forward. Scores goals but better in midfield. Just my thought though. 

Yes, Dean was injured on Saturday.

I hear you on Connor, but the midfield is looking congested right now. A few in midfield have hit a bit of form of late and quite honestly i wouldn't know the best formation for Saturday especially. Josh J, Liam G & Jackie M all came on Saturday and done well. Lloyd F did well too and I was surprised he was taken off. Deco is back, the manager played there Saturday past, Bradley W been doing well......you get my point 😁

Update again post match tomorrow night. #montheburgh 

Edited by Passthebaw