Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

4 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

The park cut up on Saturday, but should be fine. My fear now though is the lower than expected temperature forecast @ -1, only climbing to 2c on Wedenesday then rain. Fingers crossed the game is on, BB.

I suspect BW is suspended, but I believe he can appeal and play? I'm not privy to any more info than that. 

There is a fast track tribunal hearing for tomorrow which I assume means there will be a decision before the game: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/disciplinary/disciplinary-updates/

On 20/12/2021 at 23:34, Passthebaw said:

A horror scoreline for Musselburgh Athletic on Saturday, CJ, but like many I spoke to at the game at H/T, it could have been so very different if Musselburgh had converted their possession in the first 30 minutes into chances, and Linlithgow not been so clinical. Musselburgh started the better and i felt for reasonable spells in the 1st half we played well and did cause Linlithgow some problems. Mussy could have had 3 penalties after challenges against Smith (definite for me), McManus and Orru (although a free-kick was given on the edge of the box for the latter) were all waved away by the referee. I also felt there was a couple of offsides given that could have gone Musselburgh's way, but didn't.

As it was, Linlithgow scored 3 times with some incise passing movements, clearly confident after their recent, excellent 14 game unbeaten run, and saw out the first half comfortably.

2nd half Musselburgh needed to score first, but after conceding another soft goal 2 minutes into the 2nd half, there was only ever going to be one winner, and the question was by how many? Massive congratulations must go to Linlithgow on their overall performance and their march up the league. They cruised home and could have won by more, and on this form they can't be far away from being the new favourites to be champions. Musselburgh meanwhile must bounce back, and what better way to do so against their old rivals, Tranent, on Wednesday night, weather/pitch permitting. I certainly hope so! #montheburgh

Thank you PTB

Looking outside and although a few miles from Olivebank - seems to be a fine morning so hope no issues for tonight's match against Tranent.

Hopefully there will be a big crowd to support both Musselburgh and Tranent in their last match of 2021. Traanent were the dominent team in the first fixture of the season and Musselburgh will have to play much better as they try and avenge the 0-3 loss this time around. 

Hope its a good match for all. A Burgh win gets them to within 2 points of Tranent in 3rd place of the Premier League.  A win for Tranent will see them back in 2nd place, 3 pts behind leaders Penicuik and one ahead of Linlithgow. 

The title rests between the top 3 teams for the remaining matches of this season. Regardless of this, Burgh have the players to complete and win tonight's match, so here's hoping for a home win for the boys in blue.

22 hours ago, Ginaro said:

There is a fast track tribunal hearing for tomorrow which I assume means there will be a decision before the game: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/disciplinary/disciplinary-updates/

Appeal successful and Bradley Whyte can play tonight 💙

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/disciplinary/disciplinary-updates/

Maybe the SFA should look at the remainder of the official's performance. Missed penalties, dubious offsides, yellows/reds that weren’t! I didn't mention the referee's performance in my earlier comments out of respect for Linlithgow - they deserved to win emphatically, no doubt, but the officials had a shocker, particularly the referee. 

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all Musselburgh supporters! 

A disappointing end to the season with an emphatic loss to Linlithgow Rose and a 2-2 draw - incredible to think all our 8 draws this season have been 2-2!! - with Tranent after being 2 nil up. We could have been out of sight against Tranent with a few 2nd half chances, but fair play to them in keeping going for 90 minutes.

Overall I'd have accepted 4th in the table at the end of 2021. A young, improving defence, a feisty midfield and an experienced front line allows us to perform well most weeks. On reflection, if we'd kept Nathan Evans I'd have expected us to be in the mix with the top 3, with many of our 2-2s being converted to narrow wins.

Our next 2 games are away against Nitten on Saturday 8th January and at home to Whitehill Welfare on Saturday 15th January - 2 teams fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table, so no formality of 2 wins. 

#montheburgh 

Edited by Passthebaw

On 01/01/2022 at 15:56, Passthebaw said:

Happy New Year to all Musselburgh supporters! 

A disappointing end to the season with an emphatic loss to Linlithgow Rose and a 2-2 draw - incredible to think all our 8 draws this season have been 2-2!! - with Tranent after being 2 nil up. We could have been out of sight against Tranent with a few 2nd half chances, but fair play to them in keeping going for 90 minutes.

Overall I'd have accepted 4th in the table at the end of 2021. A young, improving defence, a feisty midfield and an experienced front line allows us to perform well most weeks. On reflection, if we'd kept Nathan Evans I'd have expected us to be in the mix with the top 3, with many of our 2-2s being converted to narrow wins.

Our next 2 games are away against Nitten on Saturday 8th January and at home to Whitehill Welfare on Saturday 15th January - 2 teams fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table, so no formality of 2 wins. 

#montheburgh 

Losing 4 league matches ( two against teams higher up than we are) have killed off any chances for Burgh this season as well as  drawing 8 matches out of 23 - the joint top of clubs in this division. 

Musselburgh's aim has to be to finish in the top 4 in the Premier League this year and then strengthen the squad in time for start of next season, to realistically challenge for top spot in 2022-23.

Hard match away to Newtongrange on Saturday but think we have won previous two league matched at New Victoria Park.

20 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Hard match away to Newtongrange on Saturday but think we have won previous two league matched at New Victoria Park.

100% CJ. Nitten are fighting for their lives. Their form of late has been much better and so Musselburgh need to be at it from the off! Looking forward to it! #montheburgh 💙

• 2 weeks later...

Musselburgh should be good enough to get a win at home today against Whitehill. Think that we should already be thinking about next season, where league is concerned, even if we want to remain in top 5, come end of season.

Burgh should at least be giving match time to players in the Under 20s who could make the step up to main team next season. By that I mean give guys 2 or 3 matches in a row in starting line up and not bringing them on for last 15 mins of the game. Then they have the opportunity to prove, if they can, that they are worthy of such a position. 

6 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Musselburgh should be good enough to get a win at home today against Whitehill. Think that we should already be thinking about next season, where league is concerned, even if we want to remain in top 5, come end of season.

Burgh should at least be giving match time to players in the Under 20s who could make the step up to main team next season. By that I mean give guys 2 or 3 matches in a row in starting line up and not bringing them on for last 15 mins of the game. Then they have the opportunity to prove, if they can, that they are worthy of such a position. 

Sometimes you just canny help yoursel Casey.....ha ha laughing GIF

51 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Sometimes you just canny help yoursel Casey.....ha ha laughing GIF

Thought you were better than that NB; but I will give you that since your team won.

You will note I said Should win, not will win, as Whitehill are the 3rd team in the bottom 3, at time of match, who have beat Musselburgh; two of them at Olivebank. Burgh were 4th this morning and I think WW were bottom having lost 7 of their last 8 league matches, so I didn’t say anything most others would have agreed with.

However, great result for your team and I hope WW and Nitten climb the table and avoid relegation. 

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Thought you were better than that NB; but I will give you that since your team won.

You will note I said Should win, not will win, as Whitehill are the 3rd team in the bottom 3, at time of match, who have beat Musselburgh; two of them at Olivebank. Burgh were 4th this morning and I think WW were bottom having lost 7 of their last 8 league matches, so I didn’t say anything most others would have agreed with.

However, great result for your team and I hope WW and Nitten climb the table and avoid relegation. 

Didnt realise youd be offended,it was tongue and cheek and let's face it i haven't had much to shout about this season. :lol:

Going to be difficult for the bottom 5 as it stands but as I've stated before the 5th bottom team going down would be very harsh. 

25 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Didnt realise youd be offended,it was tongue and cheek and let's face it i haven't had much to shout about this season. :lol:

Going to be difficult for the bottom 5 as it stands but as I've stated before the 5th bottom team going down would be very harsh. 

Wasn’t offended NB - all good. I haven’t been waxing lyrically about my team this year and definitely think we have been very hit and miss all season.

Were the only league team until today to have beaten Penicuik, but then we do purely against bottom three teams. No team has a right to win, but when you beat teams 4-0 and 3-0 away from home, you kind of think you will win at home too, but....

Nice to see Burgh twitter praise Whitehill just now about the way they left the dressing room after the match 👍👏

2 woeful performances by Musselburgh this last 2 weeks, but fair play to Nitten and Whitehill Welfare who both thoroughly deserved their wins. However unlikely, I think most fans at Musselburgh hope both teams survive relegation.

Musselburgh, with 2 points from a possible last 15, with 4 games at home, look like a side who just want the season to end. Right across the team, we're struggling, particularly offensively, again! We had one effort on target today, a limp 8 yard header in the first half.

Rumour is a few players aren't re-signing. Fine. Drop them and prepare for next season. We can't win the league, we won't get relegated and we need to prepare for next season. I hear the 20s are nowhere near ready to step up, so what do we do? Ignore them, or at least give them a chance?

We recruit, we motivate, we inspire, we improve what we have. Can the new management team do that? Only time will tell.

13 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

2 woeful performances by Musselburgh this last 2 weeks, but fair play to Nitten and Whitehill Welfare who both thoroughly deserved their wins. However unlikely, I think most fans at Musselburgh hope both teams survive relegation.

Musselburgh, with 2 points from a possible last 15, with 4 games at home, look like a side who just want the season to end. Right across the team, we're struggling, particularly offensively, again! We had one effort on target today, a limp 8 yard header in the first half.

Rumour is a few players aren't re-signing. Fine. Drop them and prepare for next season. We can't win the league, we won't get relegated and we need to prepare for next season. I hear the 20s are nowhere near ready to step up, so what do we do? Ignore them, or at least give them a chance?

We recruit, we motivate, we inspire, we improve what we have. Can the new management team do that? Only time will tell.

It would be interesting to see who do not want to re-sign, but if their thoughts are not with the club, then perhaps use them sparingly. However, if you don't want to be with the club, should you not be trying to excel at this time to show potential bidders how good you are?

We have the nucleus of a good team - a mixture between young and not so young players and if I was the management and your description of the match is accurate (no doubts about your honesty PTB), I would be asking at training what the issue is and if players don't want to play for Burgh, then show their hands. At one point in the match, all 4 forwards were playing so it is not as if the fire-power wasn't there to have more than one effort on target. Normally we also see Bradley taking chances from afar, though he might have been playing to deep given the initial line up on twitter.

If there is a positive in all this, Burgh are in 4th place, out of 18 clubs, yet we (you and I anyway), are still having misgivings about the performances week-in week-out.  Maybe, I am expecting too much, maybe any players we read this might think that I should shut up as they are trying their best?

Final word just now; if Jackie Myles is still able to come on as a sub, why does he seem to be the only player who is never considered in Burgh's starting line up this season. Granted, he may not be the player he was 5-6 years ago, but you want a bit bottle in the midfield area and he would be that person. Having him and Michael Moffat in the line up these past few seasons has been pleaseing to see.Both players who always put in 100% commitment, whether they were playing well or not. For me, Burgh are certainly poorer this season for either/both these players not being on the part come 2:30pm. Michael is away now but we haven't got any kind of a replacement for him. Fingers crossed, hopefully next year.

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

It would be interesting to see who do not want to re-sign, but if their thoughts are not with the club, then perhaps use them sparingly. However, if you don't want to be with the club, should you not be trying to excel at this time to show potential bidders how good you are?

We have the nucleus of a good team - a mixture between young and not so young players and if I was the management and your description of the match is accurate (no doubts about your honesty PTB), I would be asking at training what the issue is and if players don't want to play for Burgh, then show their hands. At one point in the match, all 4 forwards were playing so it is not as if the fire-power wasn't there to have more than one effort on target. Normally we also see Bradley taking chances from afar, though he might have been playing to deep given the initial line up on twitter.

If there is a positive in all this, Burgh are in 4th place, out of 18 clubs, yet we (you and I anyway), are still having misgivings about the performances week-in week-out.  Maybe, I am expecting too much, maybe any players we read this might think that I should shut up as they are trying their best?

Final word just now; if Jackie Myles is still able to come on as a sub, why does he seem to be the only player who is never considered in Burgh's starting line up this season. Granted, he may not be the player he was 5-6 years ago, but you want a bit bottle in the midfield area and he would be that person. Having him and Michael Moffat in the line up these past few seasons has been pleaseing to see.Both players who always put in 100% commitment, whether they were playing well or not. For me, Burgh are certainly poorer this season for either/both these players not being on the part come 2:30pm. Michael is away now but we haven't got any kind of a replacement for him. Fingers crossed, hopefully next year.

Some very good points, Ceejay. It's certainly a concerning time. I expect to see a significantly improved performance away to Crossgates next week, when application & desire needs to be paramount.

Many will say you're in 4th, what are we worrying about, but even when we went on the 9 game unbeaten run I sensed all was not great. Too many players are out of form all at the same time now and it's a mystery as to why!?

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

EoSFL worst kept secret! 

https://fb.watch/aGzwiyqOeT/

Good luck Brad! 💙

If that’s the case, wonder why it took till this afternoon to be announced. I know fans living in Musselburgh will be pleased for Bradley but gutted for themselves and the club. Was only last year Bradley was touted as being a long stay at Burgh and future captain for the club. PTB; Do you know if Bradley was looking for a move or did this come as a surprise to him? 

6 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

If that’s the case, wonder why it took till this afternoon to be announced. I know fans living in Musselburgh will be pleased for Bradley but gutted for themselves and the club. Was only last year Bradley was touted as being a long stay at Burgh and future captain for the club. PTB; Do you know if Bradley was looking for a move or did this come as a surprise to him? 

Bradley is ambitious. Ex pro-youth at Hearts & Hibs. Great belief in himself. He'll do well and we wish him well. 💙

On 21/01/2022 at 23:53, Passthebaw said:

Bradley is ambitious. Ex pro-youth at Hearts & Hibs. Great belief in himself. He'll do well and we wish him well. 💙

Are Musselburgh not ambitious PTB, find it really strange that numerous players are wanting to leave, is there unrest in the squad, where does the club go from here if they cant keep their best players?