Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

4 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Performance was decent, CJ. Scored 8, hit the woodwork twice and should've scored more. Soft goal to lose, but these things happen.

There was a great atmosphere at Ob on Saturday. 250+ there including a few in hospitality, sunny, a family atmosphere, a 50 year old mascot 😁 and a new young team in the shed banging a drum.......plus 8 goals! The best £6 I've spent! 

Saturday will be a different proposition against Haddington. We were missing 6 players on Saturday. I hear we're light by 3-4 this week but can have enough to win. Very much looking forward to the game. Hope to see you there, CJ 👍

Sounds promising then as it’s not often teams score so many in a match. So was the drum core there to support the 50 year old mascot? Hope he behaved during the day and enjoyed his orange squash and pick-a-mix at half time. Think Haddington have been short of a player or two recently but hopefully it should be a good match between, the probable best two teams, on Saturday. 

Think given the matches coming up, Musselburgh will be keener of progression in the cup more than Haddington as the latter’s main focus will be securing promotion come end of season. That’s not to say they won’t be giving their all at a chance of beating Premier League opposition. 

17 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Sounds promising then as it’s not often teams score so many in a match. So was the drum core there to support the 50 year old mascot? Hope he behaved during the day and enjoyed his orange squash and pick-a-mix at half time. Think Haddington have been short of a player or two recently but hopefully it should be a good match between, the probable best two teams, on Saturday. 

Think given the matches coming up, Musselburgh will be keener of progression in the cup more than Haddington as the latter’s main focus will be securing promotion come end of season. That’s not to say they won’t be giving their all at a chance of beating Premier League opposition. 

Not sure where the young team came from - don't believe it was associated with JB's 50th.

Haddington may have an eye on their league position, but I'll bet they'd love the scalp of their East Lothian neighbours and will be well up for it. Game of the day!

2 hours ago, the hit man and her said:

casey jones will be a happy man tonight, after his home team beat musselburgh this afternoon, especially after the fall out at olivebank and mostly following haddington now, enjoy your night cj!

Stage comment to make. Yip, Haddington is my home team, but as a Musselburgh supporter, I was disappointed at the result and how Burgh performed. I will wait till PTB does his match report to see how much I agree / disagree with him, though I assume it will mainly be the former. 

There was no fall out at Olivebank so no idea where you got that from or why you said it. 

A very disappointing performance and result on Saturday for the Burgh. Haddington were the much better team throughout, particularly 2nd half. Took their goals well and threatened on numerous occasions. 

I was expecting a reaction from Musselburgh when we went 1 down. An even bigger reaction after going 2 down - we got neither, although a well worked corner got us back into the game with 25 or so to go. But again, I didn't feel we reacted positively to that goal and hardly had Haddington on the back foot. Some match comments suggested the home team were hanging on - I never felt that and at the final whistle thought 2-1 flattered us.

The season's done for us now. Sure, a handful of games to ensure we finish mid-table at worst, but realistically not a lot to play for. But we must be professional in our performances, especially where relegation and the championship are concerned.

I heard a supporter say last night there may be only 4 or 5 of the players that started yesterday should be in our opening game next season. If so, a huge rebuild is on the cards at Olivebank. 

#montheburgh 

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

A very disappointing performance and result on Saturday for the Burgh. Haddington were the much better team throughout, particularly 2nd half. Took their goals well and threatened on numerous occasions. 

I was expecting a reaction from Musselburgh when we went 1 down. An even bigger reaction after going 2 down - we got neither, although a well worked corner got us back into the game with 25 or so to go. But again, I didn't feel we reacted positively to that goal and hardly had Haddington on the back foot. Some match comments suggested the home team were hanging on - I never felt that and at the final whistle thought 2-1 flattered us.

The season's done for us now. Sure, a handful of games to ensure we finish mid-table at worst, but realistically not a lot to play for. But we must be professional in our performances, especially where relegation and the championship are concerned.

I heard a supporter say last night there may be only 4 or 5 of the players that started yesterday should be in our opening game next season. If so, a huge rebuild is on the cards at Olivebank. 

#montheburgh 

I thought Musselburgh shaded the first half. Great save by Dale Cornet which saved the home side from going 1-0 done. Mathu had a shot from outside the box, which went, not too far, by the right hand side of Disco’ right post. Long effort which flew over the bar, but good banter from the Hadd goalkeeper saying how dare the Burgh lad try and out-Fox him from distance. 

Haddington came out flying in the 2nd half, scoring in 47 mins, then before the hour got the 2nd. Although Burgh pulled the ball back, I am in agreement with you PTB, that although Burgh had more of the ball, Haddington weren’t hanging on at the end. Yes there were a few close calls in the Haddington box, the home side frequenty had attacks in the Burgh half too. 

A few observations. Why was Liam Reid either playing right back or a right wing half? He is an out and out centre half, where as Declan is not.

Out of that team on park, I would rate Jordan top two, but he seemed anonymous yesterday. Not sure if that was tactics or if his game has gone off the boil.

Think four subs came on yesterday. Didn’t think any improved the performance of the team when they came on.

Why do managers insist of bringing on a sub with only a few minutes to go? Burgh down 2-1, yet Liam Gregory, not even a forward, gets 3-5 minutes on the park. If manager thinks he can possibly change the fortunes of the team, bring him on earlier.

Finally, thought Musselburgh were flat, almost going through the motions yesterday. When a win or even a draw was good enough to see Burgh win the group and advance into last 16, disappointed in that performance.

8 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

I thought Musselburgh shaded the first half. Great save by Dale Cornet which saved the home side from going 1-0 done. Mathu had a shot from outside the box, which went, not too far, by the right hand side of Disco’ right post. Long effort which flew over the bar, but good banter from the Hadd goalkeeper saying how dare the Burgh lad try and out-Fox him from distance. 

Haddington came out flying in the 2nd half, scoring in 47 mins, then before the hour got the 2nd. Although Burgh pulled the ball back, I am in agreement with you PTB, that although Burgh had more of the ball, Haddington weren’t hanging on at the end. Yes there were a few close calls in the Haddington box, the home side frequenty had attacks in the Burgh half too. 

A few observations. Why was Liam Reid either playing right back or a right wing half? He is an out and out centre half, where as Declan is not.

Out of that team on park, I would rate Jordan top two, but he seemed anonymous yesterday. Not sure if that was tactics or if his game has gone off the boil.

Think four subs came on yesterday. Didn’t think any improved the performance of the team when they came on.

Why do managers insist of bringing on a sub with only a few minutes to go? Burgh down 2-1, yet Liam Gregory, not even a forward, gets 3-5 minutes on the park. If manager thinks he can possibly change the fortunes of the team, bring him on earlier.

Finally, thought Musselburgh were flat, almost going through the motions yesterday. When a win or even a draw was good enough to see Burgh win the group and advance into last 16, disappointed in that performance.

Yes, some baffling decisions, CJ. Liam is a CH, Declan is not. And even more, Liam is no wing back! Pre-match we thought the back 4 would be Orru, Page, Reid & Woods with Decco sitting in midfield. Joe is known to favour a back 4, he said so at the fans forum last week, yet played a 3 with Page, Declan & Liam. Surely as we chased the game Liam goes back to CH and Declan pushes further up the park?

Liam Gregory got no game time against Pumpherston last week yet gets 5 minutes this week. I'm not sure he even touched the ball. Ben Reilly played 90 minutes on Friday night, then comes on to create. At 18 I'm sure he's fit enough, but a game-changer?

Jordan Smith has to stay on the park for me. Go 3 up top with Downie & Ballantyne, let Matty Knox create and see if we can "steal" an equaliser!

A very disappointing day.

• 2 weeks later...

Musselburgh travelled to Sauchie with not a lot to play for whilst the home side were, based on their recent results, in their best form of the season, so expectation levels weren't high in the Mussy supporters ranks! That said, a decent away support travelled on the supporters bus as usual, more hopeful than expectant.

However, it only took the home side 15 seconds to take the lead. Many suspected offside, but I was in line and it was an unmatched run from deep that connected with a through ball to give the home side an excellent start. The second followed too quickly, and if Mussy were guilty of not matching a run for the first, they were guilty of not closing down the winger for the 2nd. A red card followed for Page - another Musselburgh player sent off! - so it was damage limitation for the remainder of the game. A third followed in the 2nd half for Sauchie who saw the game out comfortably without getting out of 2nd gear, sadly. 

The season cannot end soon enough for the Burgh, it seems. Injuries, suspensions, players underperforming and low in confidence are all contributing to a disappointing end to the season, but we live in hope that there will still be some cheer soon, starting on Saturday in our local derby against Dunbar. 

3 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Musselburgh travelled to Sauchie with not a lot to play for whilst the home side were, based on their recent results, in their best form of the season, so expectation levels weren't high in the Mussy supporters ranks! That said, a decent away support travelled on the supporters bus as usual, more hopeful than expectant.

However, it only took the home side 15 seconds to take the lead. Many suspected offside, but I was in line and it was an unmatched run from deep that connected with a through ball to give the home side an excellent start. The second followed too quickly, and if Mussy were guilty of not matching a run for the first, they were guilty of not closing down the winger for the 2nd. A red card followed for Page - another Musselburgh player sent off! - so it was damage limitation for the remainder of the game. A third followed in the 2nd half for Sauchie who saw the game out comfortably without getting out of 2nd gear, sadly. 

The season cannot end soon enough for the Burgh, it seems. Injuries, suspensions, players underperforming and low in confidence are all contributing to a disappointing end to the season, but we live in hope that there will still be some cheer soon, starting on Saturday in our local derby against Dunbar. 

PTB, what were your thoughts on Sauchie, as you allude to they are going through a rich vein of form?

It's been a strange conclusion to the season for Musselburgh, a big rebuilding job over the summer required I assume?

3 hours ago, beachboy said:

PTB, what were your thoughts on Sauchie, as you allude to they are going through a rich vein of form?

It's been a strange conclusion to the season for Musselburgh, a big rebuilding job over the summer required I assume?

Sauchie looked very assured, BB. But then they were gifted 2 early goals, then played against 10 for more than half the game, so difficult to assess in 2nd gear! 

Yes, big changes needed at Musselburgh in the Summer. I'd anticipate only 5-6 of the team that started on Saturday will be regulars next season. 20220409_142154.thumb.jpg.e7a72fdc881b9f92d56dd4f973180aa2.jpg

For some clubs, season end cannot come quick enough. Think this applies to Musselburgh. Looks like the best they will finish is in 8th, with a possibility of slipping further to 9th. I remember the feeling when Burgh got beat 2-1 at Jeanfield in 2nd last season of older times in Junior league.

There was a sense of disbelief that we didn’t get the 1 point required in last 3 matches to stay in the Super League, particularly as we just beat title chasing Bonnyrigg away from home. But, in a way it galvanised Burgh as the team were utterly superb in the Premier League next season, winning it in a canter, while playing silky football that players and fans were proud of. 

Musselburgh are no where near as bad (league position wise), but the demise since November has been striking and I doubt that next season will be much better unless fortunes change dramatically. It is clear something has to give, once season ends. How many players will be retained for 2022-23. How many players want to be retained? Lost 4 players in season, who have gone to clubs higher up than we are. Remaining players seem to have an spparant disbelief of themselves, yet on paper, there are still a number of really good players at Olivebank.

Fingers crossed that our fortunes change and we come back in fighting mode come August 22. 

Missed the game at the weekend, was watching the Arbroath win to setup quite an incredible end of season for ex Musselburgh man Mikey McKenna.

We had our POTY with Mikey picking it up!

Lots of changes planned at Musselburgh in the summer?  I heard six or seven are away.  Is Mattu still retiring?

3 minutes ago, RedLichty said:

Missed the game at the weekend, was watching the Arbroath win to setup quite an incredible end of season for ex Musselburgh man Mikey McKenna.

We had our POTY with Mikey picking it up!

Lots of changes planned at Musselburgh in the summer?  I heard six or seven are away.  Is Mattu still retiring?

think if he is to retire from playing would be mad not to try keep him at the club in some capacity

Oh the drama.  From the highlights Musselburgh will be disappointed they didn't take something from the game with the chances they created.

So I'm bored...Using the Penicuik highlights.  The ball looks even further over the line in this shot.

image.png.4f22959bc567c05a309a4f19da9fbb0e.png

Should the assistant have seen it from his view - taking into consideration the bodies and legs in between him and the ball?
image.png.6e558405dc675ebc0f7392fc8f056109.png

Offside right enough?  Just before the header on.....I used the 6 yard line and highlighted it more.

image.thumb.png.c762630283ffaa66eedbfa0890de5e47.png

6 hours ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

Oh the drama.  From the highlights Musselburgh will be disappointed they didn't take something from the game with the chances they created.

So I'm bored...Using the Penicuik highlights.  The ball looks even further over the line in this shot.

image.png.4f22959bc567c05a309a4f19da9fbb0e.png

Should the assistant have seen it from his view - taking into consideration the bodies and legs in between him and the ball?
image.png.6e558405dc675ebc0f7392fc8f056109.png

Offside right enough?  Just before the header on.....I used the 6 yard line and highlighted it more.

image.thumb.png.c762630283ffaa66eedbfa0890de5e47.png

I think you will find both decisions were correct when you look at the EOS results page 3 points in the bag

Spoiler

Think if anything else and judging by that picture your 3 points in the bag indicate the decision was wrong and you were lucky in that.

Them's the breaks but you don't really understand the difference between correct and genuine error do you?

• 3 weeks later...