Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

3 hours ago, RedLichty said:

Interesting that Tranent let him go.  He was going to be the great thing in the summer.  It really is a revolving door there…

After a draw against Syngenta tonight, maybe the manager will ask for another forward. 😒

Good luck to Tranent, with the fact that they seem at ease to be able to go out and by new players as and when and at a whim, but can’t help but think that while some of the players are really good, Callum Donaldson and Kris Renton; great buys, they never seem to have a settled side week in week out. 

Still a great chance of winning the league, but time will tell if such frequent buying and selling/releasing of players will have the desired affect. 

9 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

After a draw against Syngenta tonight, maybe the manager will ask for another forward. 😒

Good luck to Tranent, with the fact that they seem at ease to be able to go out and by new players as and when and at a whim, but can’t help but think that while some of the players are really good, Callum Donaldson and Kris Renton; great buys, they never seem to have a settled side week in week out. 

Still a great chance of winning the league, but time will tell if such frequent buying and selling/releasing of players will have the desired affect. 

On 27/02/2022 at 09:59, Passthebaw said:

All fair points, CJ. Ultimately the season will be considered slightly disappointing imho, assuming we don't win a cup! Definitely a team in transition. I hear the natives are getting restless, but the President continues to assure there are plenty players wanting to come to Musselburgh, but of what quality?

Another disappointing scoreline yesterday, particularly being in front with only 10 to go. We were worthy of at least a draw in difficult conditions. 

Looking forward, with the imminent Cup competition, I wonder if some 20s will be involved? They seem have disappeared from the bench this last few games. 

Astonishing couple of posts.

The Question Tranents approach when they could be 26 points clear if they win their 4 games in hand is one thing, but they have only used 3 more players than Musselburgh who are in Transition! 

Musselburgh a team which were amongst the favourites to win the league will need a strong finish to avoid falling out the top 6.

At the start of the season it was all about a strong squad which would be supplemented by a very good selection of u20s - the reality has been a chop and change, good players moving side ways and young players being given very limited chances in favour of bringing in other teams players on loan.

One bit of praise though, its good to see gate prices finally addressed. People are quick to be critical as I was in the summer - good to see it change.

6 hours ago, The Faceman said:

The Question Tranents approach when they could be 26 points clear if they win their 4 games in hand is one thing, but they have only used 3 more players than Musselburgh who are in Transition! 

Musselburgh a team which were amongst the favourites to win the league will need a strong finish to avoid falling out the top 6.

At the start of the season it was all about a strong squad which would be supplemented by a very good selection of u20s - the reality has been a chop and change, good players moving side ways and young players being given very limited chances in favour of bringing in other teams players on loan.

One bit of praise though, its good to see gate prices finally addressed. People are quick to be critical as I was in the summer - good to see it change.

Wonder if the word missing after astonishing(ly) is Sh1te or Brilliant or maybe both apply depending on who reads the trail of posts. I’ll keep my thoughts to myself but respond as I do, on occasion, like a wee chat on P&B. It is astonishing that Tranent have used 3 more players this season than Musselburgh. I would hazard a guess, I think, backed up by some posts I have seen on twitter that had Tranent used less players (given how good their results were for most of the season), they would be top of league right now. 

If you have a winning side, why change it, except for cup matches. I don’t know answer, but how many players have Tranent bought pre-season and during the season. It seems a lot to me, but happy to be proved wrong. Don’t think Musselburgh have bought many, perhaps more have come in on loan. If we have used so many players, in my mind it is because we still don’t know what our best team is.

Transition is a good word. I actually felt we had a good squad at start of season, and perhaps testimony to the team, Musselburgh, by recent standards are having a poor season, yet still sit in 5th place, albeit played more matches than most. Think we may finish 6-7th. However, having lost 4 top players this season (2 to Tranent), Musselburgh must buy players for new season, who gel quickly, or else we would be in trouble. 

I agree on the part of the U20 team. I think, particularly now, when Burgh aren’t going to be relegated it would be good to ‘blood’ more youngsters into the main team, for a run and see, without as much pressure if they are good enough to make the step up on a permanent basis for 22-23. But, having not been involved in Friday night football, maybe the talent is lacking at moment? Certainly though, the whole point, for me, of the U20s is that it is a feeder team to bring on young players in the hope they make the grade. I am disappointed that recently, only Ross McCrae has made the set up. 

Sorry, but no idea what the last point / praise is with gate prices. 

On 17/03/2022 at 12:09, The Faceman said:

"The Question Tranents approach" - sorry, I don't know what that means? 

Not sure i made any reference to Tranent, but on 3 players, I'm sure you've had a look. I don't care. Tranent are synonymous with a revolving door at the moment, 3 players or not. Regardless, as an EL team, i hope they win the league. 

Not sure what bookies you were talking to, but Musselburgh were never considered "favourites" by most i spoke to. In fact, i remember a couple of fellow fans fearful of relegation! So 5th or 6th is ok for me for a team in transition. But we must do better next season. Do remember the current manager did not have a pre-season. Most are not his players and he's only brought 2 in on loan. The time to seriously question the manager is after pre-season 22-23, then into the season. Matty Knox could be an excellent start!

Will the current 20s have a role to play? Not sure, but let's not put too much expectation on them. McCrae aside, the last players to get regular game time from the 20s was Gregory & Reid, (Wynne aside, now on loan at Leith) both from 2018, so to think 5 or 6 can progress this year is stretching it a bit. I hear 1, maybe 2 could push for a place.

On gate prices, nothing's changed. £8 to get in, but £6 this week as it's a cup tie. Not sure if that is your point. 

10 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

On gate prices, nothing's changed. £8 to get in, but £6 this week as it's a cup tie. Not sure if that is your point. 

Not sure when I give out praise that people get that I mean it!

At the start of the season i was disappointed that the gate went up by £2 to £8. That at £8 it was the most expensive in the league and £1 more than some Lowland league sides including Bonnyrigg.

Surprised that you say nothings changed and then highlight the change. 

If its only for cup matches thats fair enough, but it is a change as Tynecastle and Stoneyburn earlier in the season was £8.

So here is the praise once again. Excellent that the gate prices have been REDUCED from £8 to £6 even if it is just for Heriot Watt and Pumpherston. I am surprised nobody else is praising you. 

11 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Not sure what bookies you were talking to, but Musselburgh were never considered "favourites" by most i spoke to. In fact, i remember a couple of fellow fans fearful of relegation! So 5th or 6th is ok for me for a team in transition. But we must do better next season. Do remember the current manager did not have a pre-season. Most are not his players and he's only brought 2 in on loan. The time to seriously question the manager is after pre-season 22-23, then into the season. Matty Knox could be an excellent start! 

Your having a laugh! Relegation! 

Your playing it down or back tracking once the season has progressed

Let's be clear. A team that would have finished very high last season (winning their game in hand would have left you 3 points behind the leader before the season was cut short) 

That team kept the core and majority of the players with proven track record. 

To say that some fans were fearing Relegation I think is strange from them.

5th 6th or where ever you finish below that is not good enough for Musselburgh. Its an awful league nothing like the super league. Kelty, Bonnyrigg, Lochee have been replaced by Whitehill, Tynecastle and Lothian Th. No disrespect to them thats just the facts.

I also think its wrong to clear the manager of any blame. 

Whitburn 2nd 

Linlithgow 1st

Penicuik 2nd 

Have all changed manager and are doing very well. Better add Haddington to that list as well. 2nd.

Those teams have not changed playing squad either yet have arguably got better following a manager change.

Incidentally Musselburgh were 2nd favourites at the start of the season

1 hour ago, The Faceman said:

Not sure when I give out praise that people get that I mean it!

At the start of the season i was disappointed that the gate went up by £2 to £8. That at £8 it was the most expensive in the league and £1 more than some Lowland league sides including Bonnyrigg.

Surprised that you say nothings changed and then highlight the change. 

If its only for cup matches thats fair enough, but it is a change as Tynecastle and Stoneyburn earlier in the season was £8.

So here is the praise once again. Excellent that the gate prices have been REDUCED from £8 to £6 even if it is just for Heriot Watt and Pumpherston. I am surprised nobody else is praising you. 

I recollect it being £7 last season, but I may be wrong. I can't remember if it was £8 for cup ties earlier in the season. I don't care tbh - still think it's great value for money. Think Linlithgow charge £8 too. Pretty sure we'll still be £8 next season when most others catch up. 

Why would people praise me? Again, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Edited by Passthebaw

1 hour ago, The Faceman said:

Your having a laugh! Relegation! 

Your playing it down or back tracking once the season has progressed

Let's be clear. A team that would have finished very high last season (winning their game in hand would have left you 3 points behind the leader before the season was cut short) 

That team kept the core and majority of the players with proven track record. 

To say that some fans were fearing Relegation I think is strange from them.

5th 6th or where ever you finish below that is not good enough for Musselburgh. Its an awful league nothing like the super league. Kelty, Bonnyrigg, Lochee have been replaced by Whitehill, Tynecastle and Lothian Th. No disrespect to them thats just the facts.

I also think its wrong to clear the manager of any blame. 

Whitburn 2nd 

Linlithgow 1st

Penicuik 2nd 

Have all changed manager and are doing very well. Better add Haddington to that list as well. 2nd.

Those teams have not changed playing squad either yet have arguably got better following a manager change.

Incidentally Musselburgh were 2nd favourites at the start of the season

Yes, relegation. True, even if you don't believe me. 

Hope to see you at the fans' forum at the end of the month. Any contribution is welcome

12 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

"The Question Tranents approach" - sorry, I don't know what that means? 

Not sure i made any reference to Tranent, but on 3 players, I'm sure you've had a look. I don't care. Tranent are synonymous with a revolving door at the moment, 3 players or not. Regardless, as an EL team, i hope they win the league. 

Will the current 20s have a role to play? Not sure, but let's not put too much expectation on them. McCrae aside, the last players to get regular game time from the 20s was Gregory & Reid, (Wynne aside, now on loan at Leith) both from 2018, so to think 5 or 6 can progress this year is stretching it a bit. I hear 1, maybe 2 could push for a place.

Very disappointing for a couple of couple of Burgh fans to think we could be relegated PTB. As I said before, we had a disappointing serious of events at start of season on the managerial front, then with Liam Burns, who seemed a great coach, left early in season. But, we had the same squad as pervious season and so a squad who should compete at top of league. 

Moving on we’ve lost 4 keys players, but despite a ‘bad season’ never out of top 5/6. Certainly vital for next season we need to hit the ground running and I hope Joe already has incoming players in-sight for pre-season. The league cup group football comes at good time for Burgh. Realistically we SHOULD win all 4 matches, though but all accounts, the match against Haddington will decide who tops group. 

3 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Very disappointing for a couple of couple of Burgh fans to think we could be relegated PTB. As I said before, we had a disappointing serious of events at start of season on the managerial front, then with Liam Burns, who seemed a great coach, left early in season. But, we had the same squad as pervious season and so a squad who should compete at top of league. 

Moving on we’ve lost 4 keys players, but despite a ‘bad season’ never out of top 5/6. Certainly vital for next season we need to hit the ground running and I hope Joe already has incoming players in-sight for pre-season. The league cup group football comes at good time for Burgh. Realistically we SHOULD win all 4 matches, though but all accounts, the match against Haddington will decide who tops group. 

On relegation I could name names, but won't. Like me, I respect their anonymity.

On relegation, where either of you at the game today? Another poor Musselburgh performance, not helped by Jono being sent off at H/T. Very flat. HW deserved the points. 

21 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

On relegation I could name names, but won't. Like me, I respect their anonymity.

On relegation, where either of you at the game today? Another poor Musselburgh performance, not helped by Jono being sent off at H/T. Very flat. HW deserved the points. 

Certainly would not ask you to name names PTB and respect your thoughts here. Football chat is all about opinion. General time dictates if opinions are right/wrong. I know lots of people don’t agree with me and think I am all waffle, but I can live with that. 

Wasn’t at the match today, indeed not at any match. In past 20 years, I have seen least amount of football than previously. A bit of a transition year in more ways than one which I will stick to. Hopefully address this in 2022-23.

A disappointing result. Burgh should be winning these matches, though I see Burgh played with 10 men in 2nd half. What I would say though is Burgh players have to take responsibility for themselves once the ref blows for match to start. Rightly or wrongly, manager will get boot for poor results. Players may agree/disagree with Manager’s team picks or tactics, but they have a voice which they should air, if not happy and can let their feet/heads do the talking during each 90 mins of match. 

4 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Certainly would not ask you to name names PTB and respect your thoughts here. Football chat is all about opinion. General time dictates if opinions are right/wrong. I know lots of people don’t agree with me and think I am all waffle, but I can live with that. 

Wasn’t at the match today, indeed not at any match. In past 20 years, I have seen least amount of football than previously. A bit of a transition year in more ways than one which I will stick to. Hopefully address this in 2022-23.

A disappointing result. Burgh should be winning these matches, though I see Burgh played with 10 men in 2nd half. What I would say though is Burgh players have to take responsibility for themselves once the ref blows for match to start. Rightly or wrongly, manager will get boot for poor results. Players may agree/disagree with Manager’s team picks or tactics, but they have a voice which they should air, if not happy and can let their feet/heads do the talking during each 90 mins of match. 

I heard a few say we played OK, especially with 10 men the whole 2nd half. I didn't think so. Opinions, eh?

On reflection their keeper had a good game, so maybe I was harsh in my initial post match comments. Plus the bar must be bruised the amount of times we hit it, particularly 1st half. 

Their keeper & #9 were particularly effective today -hearing positive rumours on the latter! 😁

Also, good debut for Matthew Knox today. Showed enough class and deft touches to suggest he'll be a big player for us next season!

15 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

I heard a few say we played OK, especially with 10 men the whole 2nd half. I didn't think so. Opinions, eh?

On reflection their keeper had a good game, so maybe I was harsh in my initial post match comments. Plus the bar must be bruised the amount of times we hit it, particularly 1st half. 

Their keeper & #9 were particularly effective today -hearing positive rumours on the latter! 😁

Also, good debut for Matthew Knox today. Showed enough class and deft touches to suggest he'll be a big player for us next season!

Honest as usual PTB - thank you. Saw a tweet from HWU saying they deserved the win and in effect we had Ross McCrae to thank for getting the draw. How was the crowd today - did the reduced entry fee boost numbers at Olivebank? 

Edited by Casey Jones

35 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Honest as usual PTB - thank you. Saw a tweet from HWU saying they deserved the win and in effect we had Ross McCrae to thank for getting the draw. How was the crowd today - did the reduced entry fee boost numbers at Olivebank? 

Disappointing crowd, CJ. Particularly factoring the glorious weather. 130+ is my guess. 

And yes, HWU showed enough to just shade it 2nd half, but against 10 men for that whole half! I think the whole defence played well today.

Page just shading M.O.M. Re-sign him immediately!

Edited by Passthebaw

12 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

I recollect it being £7 last season, but I may be wrong. I can't remember if it was £8 for cup ties earlier in the season. I don't care tbh - still think it's great value for money. Think Linlithgow charge £8 too. Pretty sure we'll still be £8 next season when most others catch up. 

Why would people praise me? Again, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Let me go over the point again.

At the start of the season the gate went up to £8 from £6. I was quick to critise your club. I get your point that you think its still great value, but either way I felt it was a big increase.

Fast forward to Saturday, the gate was reduced/changed whatever you want to call it. Surely it is only right for me to praise the club (not praise you personally (unless it was your idea))

8 hours ago, The Faceman said:

Let me go over the point again.

At the start of the season the gate went up to £8 from £6. I was quick to critise your club. I get your point that you think its still great value, but either way I felt it was a big increase.

Fast forward to Saturday, the gate was reduced/changed whatever you want to call it. Surely it is only right for me to praise the club (not praise you personally (unless it was your idea))

I get your points. It was the "praise" I didn't follow. I think you're wrong with the £6-£8. I believe it was £7-£8. I'll ask as my ST doesn't tell me!

On the reduction to £6 for Cup games from what you say was £8 earlier in the year in other cup competitions, maybe it's because it involves lower league teams as opposed to other cup competitions. I really don't know. I'm not on the committee. 

On praise for the Club, Musselburgh do much to attract and maintain the fan base. Much credit is due.

⬆️ Fans Forum ⬆️ Tuesday night. 

Musselburgh 3 games unbeaten in the Cup, winning 8-1 on Saturday against a disappointing Pumpherston. Already Knox looking like the player we expect him to be, and great to see Jordan Smith getting a hat-trick. It's been a tough few months for Smith with goals hard to come by, but looking much livelier of late. 

Very much looking forward to the tie versus Haddington on Saturday. A win or draw for Musselburgh sees us win the group, but I fully expect us to go for the former! 💙

2 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

⬆️ Fans Forum ⬆️ Tuesday night. 

Musselburgh 3 games unbeaten in the Cup, winning 8-1 on Saturday against a disappointing Pumpherston. Already Knox looking like the player we expect him to be, and great to see Jordan Smith getting a hat-trick. It's been a tough few months for Smith with goals hard to come by, but looking much livelier of late. 

Very much looking forward to the tie versus Haddington on Saturday. A win or draw for Musselburgh sees us win the group, but I fully expect us to go for the former! 💙

Think the 3 matches should be a boost for Musselburgh, especially the amount of goals scored in them. Good to see 6 players getting the goals. 

No surprise with the win on Saturday PTB, but what about the performance. Did it live up to the scoreline? Burgh should be going for the win this Saturday as anything less would be a disappointment. 

On 28/03/2022 at 22:58, Casey Jones said:

Think the 3 matches should be a boost for Musselburgh, especially the amount of goals scored in them. Good to see 6 players getting the goals. 

No surprise with the win on Saturday PTB, but what about the performance. Did it live up to the scoreline? Burgh should be going for the win this Saturday as anything less would be a disappointment. 

Performance was decent, CJ. Scored 8, hit the woodwork twice and should've scored more. Soft goal to lose, but these things happen.

There was a great atmosphere at Ob on Saturday. 250+ there including a few in hospitality, sunny, a family atmosphere, a 50 year old mascot 😁 and a new young team in the shed banging a drum.......plus 8 goals! The best £6 I've spent! 

Saturday will be a different proposition against Haddington. We were missing 6 players on Saturday. I hear we're light by 3-4 this week but can have enough to win. Very much looking forward to the game. Hope to see you there, CJ 👍