Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

Orru will be a huge loss if he's away. Personally I'd give him the armband and belief he's really wanted at Ob, but that looks very unlikely. Donaldson has had a disappointing season for me. His discipline has let him down too. 

On personnel, all I hear is rumours like many others, but with Orru, Donaldson, Page, Jeffries & Downie all away, that's nearly half your team, and all starters most weeks! 

Looks like Mussy 22/23 will see a lot of new faces! 🙏 💙

What is the cause of all the disruption 

Orru will be a huge loss if he's away. Personally I'd give him the armband and belief he's really wanted at Ob, but that looks very unlikely. Donaldson has had a disappointing season for me. His discipline has let him down too. 

On personnel, all I hear is rumours like many others, but with Orru, Donaldson, Page, Jeffries & Downie all away, that's nearly half your team, and all starters most weeks! 

Looks like Mussy 22/23 will see a lot of new faces! 🙏 💙

Downie played last week did he not

Musselburgh Athletic 3-0 Lothian Thistle HV 

A much improved Musselburgh performance saw them run out comfortable winners eventually  on Saturday. Goals from Woods, Downie & Smith contributed to an excellent 2nd half performance by The Burgh.

The star attraction, unfortunately, 1st half was the referee. An over-fussy, very poor performance meant both sides had a man sent off, undeservedly in my opinion, in a game that was never dirty and played in good spirits. I rarely mention or criticise referees, but after the poor performance by the referee last week at Tynecastle it's sadly becoming a habit. Thankfully, 2nd half he was largely anonymous as Musselburgh were clinical offensively and solid defensively.

It was great to see Orru & Page back in the starting line-up. Young Reilly was solid at RB and looks terrier like in his application, Myles was as tenacious as ever and Smith, who came on with around 30 minutes remaining, scored and gets an excellent assist to his name. Smith looked lively and sharp, akin to his performance against Tranent, but we need to see that more often.

Special shout out to Fiddler who looked as though he took a bad injury 10 days ago. It was great to see him come on at 60 minutes when the game was 0-0, and he made a difference. As busy as ever, he's an important player for Musselburgh.

LTHV will probably feel hard done by. 3-0 looked very unlikely after an hour, but they'll take the positives from the game and solidify this season. Hope so. 

Edited by Passthebaw

58 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Musselburgh Athletic 3-0 Lothian Thistle HV 

A much improved Musselburgh performance saw them run out comfortable winners eventually  on Saturday. Goals from Woods, Downie & Smith contributed to an excellent 2nd half performance by The Burgh.

The star attraction, unfortunately, 1st half was the referee. An over-fussy, very poor performance meant both sides had a man sent off, undeservedly in my opinion, in a game that was never dirty and played in good spirits. I rarely mention or criticise referees, but after the poor performance by the referee last week at Tynecastle it's sadly becoming a habit. Thankfully, 2nd half he was largely anonymous as Musselburgh were clinical offensively and solid defensively.

It was great to see Orru & Page back in the starting line-up. Young Reilly was solid at RB and looks terrier like in his application, Myles was as tenacious as ever and Smith, who came on with around 30 minutes remaining, scored and gets an excellent assist to his name. Smith looked lively and sharp, akin to his performance against Tranent, but we need to see that more often.

Special shout out to Fiddler who looked as though he took a bad injury 10 days ago. It was great to see him come on at 60 minutes when the game was 0-0, and he made a difference. As busy as ever, he's an important player for Musselburgh.

LTHV will probably feel hard done by. 3-0 looked very unlikely after an hour, but they'll take the positives from the game and solidify this season. Hope so. 

The boy is back in town, the boy is back in town....

Good to have you back PTB 👍

Heard the referee had a shocker first half; heard that Musselburgh were much better in 2nd half. Heard some fans thought if 2nd half was as bad as 1st then the attendances would lessen further as season moved on.

Good to see all the positives in your summary. Just as happy to see your comments on Jackie as I am about Ben Reilly. We hope that when new, young players come into the fold that they fit in and are not overawed. Knew Ben from about a year ago, watching him being trained by others. His attitude was excellent, so was his willingness to train and listen to how he could improve his movements/skills etc - so it warms my heart, the comments you make.

Nice to see Smith getting a goal and being involved in another. Perhaps it took longer than expected for him to settle in agt Olivebank, but a positive as we move on.

Since LTHV were promoted, I think they have had the upper hand on Burgh. A well skilled outfit who are nobody’s mugs so 3 pts are great. Also heard that the young keeper for LTHV, Kieron Renton made 2 or 3 excellent says on his return to Olivebank. On the whole, I love ex-Burgh favs coming back and proving that they still have it (as long as Burgh win).

A tough match next week against one of two clubs who could still overtake Musselburgh in the league. Have seen Broxburn twice this season and they weren’t great either time, but at Albyn Park, they are usually a hard nut to match. 

11 hours ago, kayemphoto said:

NEW BLOG: Mussie Late Show Seals The Win

Musselburgh Althetic3-0 LTHV

Read the BLOG and chack out all the match pictures HERE

web Musselburgh_v_LTHV-14-2.jpg

Thank you for the photos and also for the great wee write up you did. I am sure fans and players, whether present or not, appreciate your efforts. Great mention for Ben Reilly - who I think is going to be a big player for Burgh in the coming seasons.

14 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Thank you for the photos and also for the great wee write up you did. I am sure fans and players, whether present or not, appreciate your efforts. Great mention for Ben Reilly - who I think is going to be a big player for Burgh in the coming seasons.

more than welcome - really enjoyed my visit. 

All the best for the rest of the season

15 hours ago, the hit man and her said:

rarely seen at musselburgh games cj, has there been a fall out? strange indeed, your non attendance at games does get noticed, but hope you are well!

Cheers hit man

I need to take time out at the start of the season for a couple of reasons. Have seen Musselburgh on 3 occasions, all away. At the moment different priorities to deal with, but we shall see what happens at the start of the new season. It is good PTB does a summary as was kayemphoto. 

Definitely think Burgh going through a transition just now and hope all is good for 2022-23.

Finding this season a bit hard to take. Very strange start with two new managers involved pre-season and no new players of note. Always going to be hard to be in the mix with teams like HoB, Jeanfield, Linlithgow, Penicuik and Tranent all ‘presumed big hitters’, but on their day, Burgh still had the backbone of a very good side.

Roll on to now and four top players in Evans, B Donaldson, Whyte and C Donaldson all away; two to Lowland League teams and two to our nearby neighbour. No incoming players to match their ability (at least so far). I am at odds with at least one Burgh supporter, who I am in regular contact with, re my appraisal of some of those who have left. Never the less, Burgh have been severely weakened between start of season and now. 

Burgh should finish top half and still in two cups so not all doom and gloom. But we need to be preparing for next season now and at least have players earmarked to be at Olivebank as soon as pre-season kicks off. I have a feeling that on the whole it will be a completely new side, give one or two, in 2022-23, so good luck to management with their endeavours.

Tough match today, away to Broxburn. The auld guard need to be at their best to come away with 3-points. 

MTB 

20 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Finding this season a bit hard to take. Very strange start with two new managers involved pre-season and no new players of note. Always going to be hard to be in the mix with teams like HoB, Jeanfield, Linlithgow, Penicuik and Tranent all ‘presumed big hitters’, but on their day, Burgh still had the backbone of a very good side.

Roll on to now and four top players in Evans, B Donaldson, Whyte and C Donaldson all away; two to Lowland League teams and two to our nearby neighbour. No incoming players to match their ability (at least so far). I am at odds with at least one Burgh supporter, who I am in regular contact with, re my appraisal of some of those who have left. Never the less, Burgh have been severely weakened between start of season and now. 

Burgh should finish top half and still in two cups so not all doom and gloom. But we need to be preparing for next season now and at least have players earmarked to be at Olivebank as soon as pre-season kicks off. I have a feeling that on the whole it will be a completely new side, give one or two, in 2022-23, so good luck to management with their endeavours.

Tough match today, away to Broxburn. The auld guard need to be at their best to come away with 3-points. 

MTB 

All fair points, CJ. Ultimately the season will be considered slightly disappointing imho, assuming we don't win a cup! Definitely a team in transition. I hear the natives are getting restless, but the President continues to assure there are plenty players wanting to come to Musselburgh, but of what quality?

Another disappointing scoreline yesterday, particularly being in front with only 10 to go. We were worthy of at least a draw in difficult conditions. 

Looking forward, with the imminent Cup competition, I wonder if some 20s will be involved? They seem have disappeared from the bench this last few games. 

5 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Ultimately the season will be considered slightly disappointing imho, assuming we don't win a cup!

Looking forward, with the imminent Cup competition, I wonder if some 20s will be involved?

Could be a risk in context of initial point? You've only 5 league games left (in April & May) plus League Cup is the only cup you've got left. You're only guaranteed to progress to knockouts if you win the group - and are unlikely to progress if you drop points versus several opponents. Your last game is away to Haddington who are clearly pretty handy. So you'd be relying on the kids doing a job by helping get the necessary wins?

Edited by HibeeJibee

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Could be a risk in context of initial point? You've only 5 league games left (in April & May) plus League Cup is the only cup you've got left. You're only guaranteed to progress to knockouts if you win the group - and are unlikely to progress if you drop points versus several opponents. Your last game is away to Haddington who are clearly pretty handy. So you'd be relying on the kids doing a job by helping get the necessary wins?

Not sure of your point, HJ. I have no idea what the manager will do? Play the 20s and gain experience for next season, or go stronger and try to progress. Either option is conceivable, neither right nor wrong. We'll soon find out. 

No doubt Haddington will be a toughie, particularly with it being our manager's old team, but maybe their concentration will be on the league? Either way, a fascinating tie. 

• 2 weeks later...

Musselburgh travelled to Lochgelly on Saturday looking for a return to winning ways, and a nice distraction to a league campaign that has stuttered in the last few months. 

Any thought that the 20s would be involved were quickly dismissed when the team was announced, as other than goalkeeper Ross McCrae, no other 20s player was in the squad. Musselburgh went strong with a near full squad to choose from other than the suspended Declan O'Kane and the unavailable Josh Jeffries.

On a windy day and a heavy sloping park that was not conducive to Musselburgh's typical flowing football, it was never going to be easy and so it proved as Lochgelly took the lead, taking advantage of the slope and wind. However, with no linesmen, how the referee never saw that the goalscorer was at least 3 yards offside was beyond anyone in the ground! But it just encouraged Musselburgh to up it a level and we got our equaliser thru King within 10 minutes. 

2nd half saw The Burgh dominate and run out comfortable winners in the end with a hat-trick for Mussy Legend, Mathu King, who showed great composure and finishing on 3 occasions that have epitomised his Musselburgh career. As much as many of the plaudits will go to Matty, my M.O.M was Lloyd Fiddler. Energetic, tenacious and tigerish as ever, he wanted the ball at every opportunity and was Musselburgh's best player. 

Big thanks to Lochgelly Albert for their warm welcome. An exposed ground, but with a couple of cosy eateries/drinking opportunities, it was a fine afternoon away day.

Next 2 weeks sees us at home to Heriot Watt University and Pumpherston, both games the locals will expect us to win - let's hope so! 💙

Musselburgh travelled to Lochgelly on Saturday looking for a return to winning ways, and a nice distraction to a league campaign that has stuttered in the last few months. 

Any thought that the 20s would be involved were quickly dismissed when the team was announced, as other than goalkeeper Ross McCrae, no other 20s player was in the squad. Musselburgh went strong with a near full squad to choose from other than the suspended Declan O'Kane and the unavailable Josh Jeffries.

On a windy day and a heavy sloping park that was not conducive to Musselburgh's typical flowing football, it was never going to be easy and so it proved as Lochgelly took the lead, taking advantage of the slope and wind. However, with no linesmen, how the referee never saw that the goalscorer was at least 3 yards offside was beyond anyone in the ground! But it just encouraged Musselburgh to up it a level and we got our equaliser thru King within 10 minutes. 

2nd half saw The Burgh dominate and run out comfortable winners in the end with a hat-trick for Mussy Legend, Mathu King, who showed great composure and finishing on 3 occasions that have epitomised his Musselburgh career. As much as many of the plaudits will go to Matty, my M.O.M was Lloyd Fiddler. Energetic, tenacious and tigerish as ever, he wanted the ball at every opportunity and was Musselburgh's best player. 

Big thanks to Lochgelly Albert for their warm welcome. An exposed ground, but with a couple of cosy eateries/drinking opportunities, it was a fine afternoon away day.

Next 2 weeks sees us at home to Heriot Watt University and Pumpherston, both games the locals will expect us to win - let's hope so! 💙

A bit worried when I saw Lochgelly taking the lead half way through the first half, but good to see Mathu back on his scoring exploits with a hat-trick, albeit by a team near the foot of their conference.

Also good to hear what you say about Lloyd being your MoM. All good teams should have a strong, tenacious (seen that word a couple of times this weekend) midfield; couple of players who should control the match with another 1 or 2 moving up and down the flanks, troubling defenders and putting in good crosses for forward line.

A double home win in next 2 matches, could see winner take all in last group match at Millfield! Perhaps the 2nd placed team might progress into the last 16 as one of four best placed runners-up.