Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

On 26/01/2022 at 08:40, kleptomaniac said:

Took in the Musselburgh V Dalkeith friendly last night.  Musselburgh look like a team devoid of confidence at the moment.  There were lucky it wasn'0-5 instead of 0-2.  Dalkeith's first clean sheet since August I believe!!

No doubt about it kleptomaniac. As much as it was a friendly, my guess is it was organised because we don't have a game on Saturday, but equally it was an opportunity for the management team to see a few players who may have had little game time of late, but also an opportunity for the 20s to get a run in the first team. Additionally, I'd have thought Musselburgh were looking for a morale boosting goal-scoring performance, and maybe a win! 

It backfired spectacularly. We were dreadful, and I agree, Dalkeith should've won by more! I can only think of a couple of Musselburgh players who did themselves justice, as for the rest, including the 20s players, they were miles off! 

Worrying times, but with 2 free Saturdays to come, hopefully the management team can get things going again. Certainly hope so, or the season end is going to be slow and painful!

On 26/01/2022 at 11:13, beachboy said:

Are Musselburgh not ambitious PTB, find it really strange that numerous players are wanting to leave, is there unrest in the squad, where does the club go from here if they cant keep their best players? 

Just a tough spell my friend - the biggest club in East Lothian will bounce back. #montheburgh 💙

14 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

No doubt about it kleptomaniac. As much as it was a friendly, my guess is it was organised because we don't have a game on Saturday, but equally it was an opportunity for the management team to see a few players who may have had little game time of late, but also an opportunity for the 20s to get a run in the first team. Additionally, I'd have thought Musselburgh were looking for a morale boosting goal-scoring performance, and maybe a win! 

It backfired spectacularly. We were dreadful, and I agree, Dalkeith should've won by more! I can only think of a couple of Musselburgh players who did themselves justice, as for the rest, including the 20s players, they were miles off! 

Worrying times, but with 2 free Saturdays to come, hopefully the management team can get things going again. Certainly hope so, or the season end is going to be slow and painful!

I like the honesty PTB! Things certainly don’t look on the bright side at the moment at Olivebank, but what we can’t forget is that Musselburgh are still 4th in the league, albeit that we have played most games in the league. Rather be 4th top at the moment than 4th bottom.  This should allow time to work out what our issues are and make sure these are sorted come start of next season. 

14 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Just a tough spell my friend - the biggest club in East Lothian will bounce back. #montheburgh 💙

Love this 🤣 I agree and think over the past 15-20 years we have shown this to be true. However, Tranent are going in the right direction to claim this status and it is up to Musselburgh to bounce back quickly. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, the hit man and her said:

is one not allowed to make a point on this thread? without being insulted? my comment was based on, tranent and haddingtons league positions at the current time! sorry, in hindset for having an opinion! have a pleasant evening cj!

Of course you can have an opinion and that stands for all threads just this one. 

Was not at the match on Tuesday, but by all accounts from comments by Boness supporters and a Musselburgh supporter who were at the match, your 1st comment on the night was probably very accurate, 

But by your own definition in your last tweet you are wrong in your assumption. Based on league positions Musselburgh are currently the 2nd best team in East Lothian. If you take away the past two seasons, Burgh have been the best team in EL for at least the past 15 years. 

Yes Haddington are doing tremendously at the moment, not having lost a league match yet this season. Yes, they will be worthy of a position in the Premier League next season if they win their Conference. But currently they are no where near 2nd best EL team. Even discounting Musselburgh, that would rest at the moment with Dunbar. 

Come back in a year’s time and I may give you an apology but not at moment. 

You have a good one too 👍

43 minutes ago, the hit man and her said:

think, as a musselburgh fan who attended the match on tuesday, the word tool that was used is a bit below the belt, will limit my views on this thread from now on if this is the response one gets from a fellow supporter! enjoy your football over the weekend!

Your choice. A bit silly from my point of view, but I’m not your keeper. I intend to enjoy my football - hope you do too.

3 hours ago, the hit man and her said:

possibly the third biggest club, after tranent and haddington?

Musselburgh are the biggest, with the largest fanbase, potential inward investment, history of the club - no question. But right now, Tranent are the best, and by some margin, easily being a year or 2 ahead of Musselburgh.

Your statement regards Haddington is frankly ridiculous. Heading the correct direction, yes, and could they beat Musselburgh right now - probably! But a long way to go to get even close to Musselburgh's status.  

7 hours ago, the hit man and her said:

the two biggest games in the district tomorrow are tranent v broxburn and haddington v leith, i feel, so its looking like, i will head to one of these games in preference to any other, but enjoy your football, passthebaw and of course cj too!

No doubt about that, but I'll be at Meggatland, however reluctantly. 

Having seen Tynecastle against Tranent 2 weeks ago where they barely got out their own half I'll be disappointed if Musselburgh can't get back on the winning trail tomorrow. But we must play our best players, whether they're re-signing or not. Morale & momentum, which we have none of at the moment, is vital! 

1 hour ago, the hit man and her said:

a general lack of morale in the side just now, squad needs a good shake up and younger players need to be brought in to freshen up an ageing team a reckon!

Bit of truth in that, but there's not a 20s player caught my eye whilst watching the 20s and first team. 

Fact : The last time we had a 20s player progress to the 1st team regularly was over 3 years ago. To think we could then have 3-6 progress this season is laughable.

We need to recruit, develop and get more out of the players - they haven't become bad players overnight! 

On 13/02/2022 at 19:19, kayemphoto said:

NEW BLOG: Game of Two Halves

Tynecastle 3-3 Musselburgh Athletic 

Read the BLOG and check out all the MATCH PHOTOS

web Tynecastle_v_Musselburgh-2.jpg

Cheers for the contribution. I thought #9 of Tynecastle was a big physical presence who caused Musselburgh a bit of grief, particularly 2nd half. 

Best for Mussy? Thomson showed nice touches, good to see Downie get a couple and McManus & Reid at the back dug in all day. 2 points dropped though after a fine opening spell. Weather turned particularly bad in the 2nd half which did not help Musselburgh. 

7 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Cheers for the contribution. I thought #9 of Tynecastle was a big physical presence who caused Musselburgh a bit of grief, particularly 2nd half. 

Best for Mussy? Thomson showed nice touches, good to see Downie get a couple and McManus & Reid at the back dug in all day. 2 points dropped though after a fine opening spell. Weather turned particularly bad in the 2nd half which did not help Musselburgh. 

Got a week off PTB 😉

1st point of 2022 and only 3 out of possible 21; yet still sit in top 5 of league. Depending on how you views are; either a no bad place to be, given the circumstances, or still in a dirge and when are we getting out of the mire.

When I saw 2-0 score on twitter, so early in match, thought that was the 3 points in the bag, so a bit disappointing to see match end all square.

Both Ben McGinley and Liam White back in the team, when leaving previously after only a few matches played for Burgh. Good move by the club bringing both players back? 

After LTHV’s fine victory at the weekend, beating Dunbar away, looks another tough match this coming Saturday at Olivebank. Hopefully our first win of 2022 can be achieved. 

Edited by Casey Jones

On 15/02/2022 at 01:06, Casey Jones said:

Got a week off PTB 😉

1st point of 2022 and only 3 out of possible 21; yet still sit in top 5 of league. Depending on how you views are; either a no bad place to be, given the circumstances, or still in a dirge and when are we getting out of the mire.

When I saw 2-0 score on twitter, so early in match, thought that was the 3 points in the bag, so a bit disappointing to see match end all square.

Both Ben McGinley and Liam White back in the team, when leaving previously after only a few matches played for Burgh. Good move by the club bringing both players back? 

After LTHV’s fine victory at the weekend, beating Dunbar away, looks another tough match this coming Saturday at Olivebank. Hopefully our first win of 2022 can be achieved. 

On 15/02/2022 at 01:06, Casey Jones said:

My glass is half empty rather than half full, sad to say CJ. After our start, a draw was very disappointing. I'm surprised we're still in 5th, and touching 4th, but that's more to do with the form of the bottom teams beating the teams near the middle of the table! 

Ben's done well since his return. The last few games have seen blustery conditions, but his distribution has been excellent considering, although he did lose a poor goal Saturday when he misjudged the wind. White struggled when he was first at Musselburgh. He needs to improve and has huge boots to fill in Orru, who looks like he's away! 😞

LTHV will be tough on Saturday, no doubt, assuming game is on. We'll need to be at our absolute best, but right now with suspensions and players not playing for whatever reason, even our best with the personnel we have may not be good enough. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

My glass is half empty rather than half full, sad to say CJ. After our start, a draw was very disappointing. I'm surprised we're still in 5th, and touching 4th, but that's more to do with the form of the bottom teams beating the teams near the middle of the table! 

Ben's done well since his return. The last few games have seen blustery conditions, but his distribution has been excellent considering, although he did lose a poor goal Saturday when he misjudged the wind. White struggled when he was first at Musselburgh. He needs to improve and has huge boots to fill in Orru, who looks like he's away! 😞

LTHV will be tough on Saturday, no doubt, assuming game is on. We'll need to be at our absolute best, but right now with suspensions and players not playing for whatever reason, even our best with the personnel we have may not be good enough. I hope I'm wrong.

So disheartening to read what you say PTB. You are normally upbeat about our team, in fact sometimes getting chastised for your over-positive uptake of the match by opposition supporters. 

Have to say, if Orru is away, as you seem to suggest, then the game’s a bogie! Last ‘Close’ season, White came and was getting rave reviews in training and looked destined for 1st pick at left back. Huge surprise for me as still maintain Jordan is the best left back in the league.  For whatever reason, White didn’t hit the ground running and Joe was back in the game. So, what’s changed? Then on the left, we had again, what I would say is the best right back in the league - Callum Donaldson. Brilliant when he arrived from Tranent, but for some reason doesn’t appear at the races. Perhaps, our best upcoming midfielder, Bradley Whyte away to Spartans and at start, our early season top goalscorer goes to Bonnyrigg.  With the magnificent Mathu King looking like he is finally on the wain, giving his lack of match time recently, that looks like the spine of the team is either away or perhaps looking to get out. Hugely disappointing for a Burgh fan. 

The thing is, where is the light over the horizon? Ps Still, currently, the 2nd best East Lothian side in the EoS. 

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

League Cup draw - Group G
Musselburgh
Haddington 
Heriot Watt University 
Lochgelly 
Pumpherston

Home V Pumpherston & Heriot Watt
Away V Haddington & Lochgelly

#montheburgh 💙

Normally you would say a comfortable mini-league competition for Musselburgh to be top of....

9 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

So disheartening to read what you say PTB. You are normally upbeat about our team, in fact sometimes getting chastised for your over-positive uptake of the match by opposition supporters. 

Have to say, if Orru is away, as you seem to suggest, then the game’s a bogie! Last ‘Close’ season, White came and was getting rave reviews in training and looked destined for 1st pick at left back. Huge surprise for me as still maintain Jordan is the best left back in the league.  For whatever reason, White didn’t hit the ground running and Joe was back in the game. So, what’s changed? Then on the left, we had again, what I would say is the best right back in the league - Callum Donaldson. Brilliant when he arrived from Tranent, but for some reason doesn’t appear at the races. Perhaps, our best upcoming midfielder, Bradley Whyte away to Spartans and at start, our early season top goalscorer goes to Bonnyrigg.  With the magnificent Mathu King looking like he is finally on the wain, giving his lack of match time recently, that looks like the spine of the team is either away or perhaps looking to get out. Hugely disappointing for a Burgh fan. 

The thing is, where is the light over the horizon? Ps Still, currently, the 2nd best East Lothian side in the EoS. 

Orru will be a huge loss if he's away. Personally I'd give him the armband and belief he's really wanted at Ob, but that looks very unlikely. Donaldson has had a disappointing season for me. His discipline has let him down too. 

On personnel, all I hear is rumours like many others, but with Orru, Donaldson, Page, Jeffries & Downie all away, that's nearly half your team, and all starters most weeks! 

Looks like Mussy 22/23 will see a lot of new faces! 🙏 💙