Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

Musselburgh consolidated 4th spot in the league today as they dominated possession and chances, but after 90 minutes a draw was a fair result.

First half, Musselburgh scored and The Swifts responded within minutes to equalise. Same scenario in the 2nd half as The Swifts took the lead and Musselburgh responded almost immediately with a 2nd half penalty.

It wasn't pretty as the weather created some difficult playing conditions, as evidenced by a few local games being postponed or abandoned, but fair play to both sides who continued to try to play and pass the ball.

Musselburgh will be disappointed with only one point, but with 10 games unbeaten, it should be seen as another positive towards their progress. The Swifts were much better today than on 2nd October, and a mid-table position looks assured come season end.

One concern for Musselburgh was the injury to loan signing, Murrell, who started his first game. Carried off late in the game, after extending his loan signing until 10th January 2022, let's hope today was nothing serious.

Next week sees Musselburgh travel to Crossgates before 2 mighty home games versus Linlithgow & Tranent, the latter now changed from 1st January to 22nd December at 7pm.

Edited by Passthebaw

21 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Musselburgh consolidated 4th spot in the league today as they dominated possession and chances, but after 90 minutes a draw was a fair result.

First half, Musselburgh scored and The Swifts responded within minutes to equalise. Same scenario in the 2nd half as The Swifts took the lead and Musselburgh responded almost immediately with a 2nd half penalty.

It wasn't pretty as the weather created some difficult playing conditions, as evidenced by a few local games being postponed or abandoned, but fair play to both sides who continued to try to play and pass the ball.

Musselburgh will be disappointed with only one point, but with 10 games unbeaten, it should be seen as another positive towards their progress. The Swifts were much better today than on 2nd October, and a mid-table position looks assured come season end.

One concern for Musselburgh was the injury to loan signing, Murrell, who started his first game. Carried off late in the game, after extending his loan signing until 10th January 2022, let's hope today was nothing serious.

Next week sees Musselburgh travel to Crossgates before 2 mighty home games versus Linlithgow & Tranent, the latter now changed from 1st January to 22nd December at 7pm.

Thank you PTB. Did wonder if the match would go ahead and maybe not if all that drainage work at the top corner of the ground didn’t go ahead in the summer time. 

10 results without a loss is great going, but seeing the three teams above, it is a must for Burgh to continue with this. Didn’t realise Murrell went off injured. Hopefully he recovers soon. 

Hard match next Saturday.. Crossgates certainly no slouches; nine points behind Burgh, but with 2 matches in hand. Remains to be seen if the match will go ahead as don’t think the weather will be too kind next week. 

Keep the reports coming - really enjoying them. 

A couple of interesting facts or two pieces of useless information coming up, depending on how your mood takes you!

Musselburgh Ath have/has played 21 league matches this season.

1.   A third of these have ended in draws.

2.   All seven draws have ended in a scoreline of 2-2.

A bonus thrown in as well; if Saturday’s league match away to Crossgates ends in a 2-2 draw (or even 0-0), that would mean that half of the eight draws would be against Fife teams.

Interesting to  note that the match, if the pitch is playable, kicks off at 1.00pm. This must be one of the earliest kick-offs Musselburgh Ath has been involved in, in many a year, if not the earliest (competitive match at least). 

18 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

A couple of interesting facts or two pieces of useless information coming up, depending on how your mood takes you!

Musselburgh Ath have/has played 21 league matches this season.

1.   A third of these have ended in draws.

2.   All seven draws have ended in a scoreline of 2-2.

A bonus thrown in as well; if Saturday’s league match away to Crossgates ends in a 2-2 draw (or even 0-0), that would mean that half of the eight draws would be against Fife teams.

Interesting to  note that the match, if the pitch is playable, kicks off at 1.00pm. This must be one of the earliest kick-offs Musselburgh Ath has been involved in, in many a year, if not the earliest (competitive match at least). 

Thanks Stato! 😁

Too many draws and 2 soft defeats against HoB and Tynecastle. Even converting a couple of draws into wins would have put us above Linlithgow and in the melting pot, particularly factoring in our next 2 games after Crossgates. 

That said, if I'd been offered 4th now at the start of the season I'd have taken it. Work in progress! 

9am inspection this morning at Crossgates. Freezing overnight but much milder now at 7.30am. Hopefully inspection factors in 5-6c by 1pm 🤞

Musselburgh's 1934 Club taking bus through and wearing Christmas jumpers 🎅 

Edited by Passthebaw

Huge 5 days coming up for Musselburgh Ath with two homes matches against 3rd and 2nd in League.

Burgh play Linlithgow on Saturday, both coming into the match with long unbeaten runs behind them. A win puts Linlithgow in 2nd place in the league. A win for Musselburgh puts them 2 pts behind Tranent and 1 point behind Tranent.

Then on Wednesday Burgh are home against Tranent. Two home wins could put the Burgh into 2nd place in the league, which a couple of month's ago, would be unthinkable! We can but wish and hope!

#montheburgh

League match 22 of the season for Musselburgh today. At home to Linlithgow; kick off 2.30pm.

You have to go back to 27 May 15 for the last time The Rose beat The Burgh in a league match at Olivebank. Scorers that day were Stevie Thomson for Musselburgh and Roddy McLennan & Kevin Kelbie for Linlithgow. 

#montheburgh

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

League match 22 of the season for Musselburgh today. At home to Linlithgow; kick off 2.30pm.

You have to go back to 27 May 15 for the last time The Rose beat The Burgh in a league match at Olivebank. Scorers that day were Stevie Thomson for Musselburgh and Roddy McLennan & Kevin Kelbie for Linlithgow. 

#montheburgh

Game in any doubt Casey ?

Bad fog in Linlithgow. Would be struggling to play if it was here.

5 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Game in any doubt Casey ?

Bad fog in Linlithgow. Would be struggling to play if it was here.

Sorry FB. Just seen your question. I live 12 miles away, and it was bright sunshine for most of the day so I assume East Lothian was fairing better that further in land. 

Saying that, Had Haddington been at home, their match would have been off as top corner didn’t get the sun cause of the new OAPs Home so lot of frost still in ground.

Looking to PTB to tell me if the 6-0 was being kind to Burgh and he is honest about our performances.

With Linlithgow’s great run, I knew it was going to be tough, but that is an absolute rout! Linlithgow at moment must be Penicuik’s main rival for title chase - taking nothing away from Tranent, but they have stuttered a wee bit recently. 

On 18/12/2021 at 17:35, Casey Jones said:

Looking to PTB to tell me if the 6-0 was being kind to Burgh and he is honest about our performances.

A horror scoreline for Musselburgh Athletic on Saturday, CJ, but like many I spoke to at the game at H/T, it could have been so very different if Musselburgh had converted their possession in the first 30 minutes into chances, and Linlithgow not been so clinical. Musselburgh started the better and i felt for reasonable spells in the 1st half we played well and did cause Linlithgow some problems. Mussy could have had 3 penalties after challenges against Smith (definite for me), McManus and Orru (although a free-kick was given on the edge of the box for the latter) were all waved away by the referee. I also felt there was a couple of offsides given that could have gone Musselburgh's way, but didn't.

As it was, Linlithgow scored 3 times with some incise passing movements, clearly confident after their recent, excellent 14 game unbeaten run, and saw out the first half comfortably.

2nd half Musselburgh needed to score first, but after conceding another soft goal 2 minutes into the 2nd half, there was only ever going to be one winner, and the question was by how many? Massive congratulations must go to Linlithgow on their overall performance and their march up the league. They cruised home and could have won by more, and on this form they can't be far away from being the new favourites to be champions. Musselburgh meanwhile must bounce back, and what better way to do so against their old rivals, Tranent, on Wednesday night, weather/pitch permitting. I certainly hope so! #montheburgh

10 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

A horror scoreline for Musselburgh Athletic on Saturday, CJ, but like many I spoke to at the game at H/T, it could have been so very different if Musselburgh had converted their possession in the first 30 minutes into chances, and Linlithgow not been so clinical. Musselburgh started the better and i felt for reasonable spells in the 1st half we played well and did cause Linlithgow some problems. Mussy could have had 3 penalties after challenges against Smith (definite for me), McManus and Orru (although a free-kick was given on the edge of the box for the latter) were all waved away by the referee. I also felt there was a couple of offsides given that could have gone Musselburgh's way, but didn't.

As it was, Linlithgow scored 3 times with some incise passing movements, clearly confident after their recent, excellent 14 game unbeaten run, and saw out the first half comfortably.

2nd half Musselburgh needed to score first, but after conceding another soft goal 2 minutes into the 2nd half, there was only ever going to be one winner, and the question was by how many? Massive congratulations must go to Linlithgow on their overall performance and their march up the league. They cruised home and could have won by more, and on this form they can't be far away from being the new favourites to be champions. Musselburgh meanwhile must bounce back, and what better way to do so against their old rivals, Tranent, on Wednesday night, weather/pitch permitting. I certainly hope so! #montheburgh

Weather/Pitch Permitting PTB, when were Musselburgh games off for waterlogging or the park being a wee bit heavy?

Its one of the best parks around for drainage, be extremely disappointed if the game was off tomorrow night.

Am assuming Bradley White will also be suspended for tomorrow nights game?

3 hours ago, beachboy said:

Weather/Pitch Permitting PTB, when were Musselburgh games off for waterlogging or the park being a wee bit heavy?

Its one of the best parks around for drainage, be extremely disappointed if the game was off tomorrow night.

Am assuming Bradley White will also be suspended for tomorrow nights game?

The park cut up on Saturday, but should be fine. My fear now though is the lower than expected temperature forecast @ -1, only climbing to 2c on Wedenesday then rain. Fingers crossed the game is on, BB.

I suspect BW is suspended, but I believe he can appeal and play? I'm not privy to any more info than that.