Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

"He's not doing it" said quite a few Burgh players during an injury induced drinks break during the first half. They were talking about a team mate. At half-time the player was moved and five minutes later subbed. It seemed like there was more discontent amongst the team than at any other point of the season.

Joe Hamil has a tough job putting the moaners and whingers back in their place and reasserting unity. It does not help that that a player was sent off for a tackle 100 yards from his own goal and that we have only 2 full backs in the squad. Playing a centre half at right back and then moving him to left back at the injury break cannot be the solution. On the bright side Bradley Whyte scored another fantastic goal. This time with no assistance required.    

Casey, If our aim is to finish in the top 3 the next 3 games will tell us if that is realistic. The recent poor run of results will need to change quickly if a high league position is to be maintained.   

1 hour ago, IDH said:

Casey, If our aim is to finish in the top 3 the next 3 games will tell us if that is realistic. The recent poor run of results will need to change quickly if a high league position is to be maintained.   

I agree with you and make that the next 4 matches as the last of these involve the current 3rd placed team - Broxburn. In seasons gone by I would hope for at least 10 out of 12 points from these matches, but not sure this time around.

I’ve only seen Burgh three times this season. On those occasions, they’ve had good spells, but then it looks like all confidence disappears. That won’t come back till Burgh get a wee run; hopefully, starting next week against The Swifts 👍 

8 hours ago, IDH said:

To be fair it looks a very tough league so far. The difference between those chasing the clear runaway sides and those chasing relegation slots seems minimal.

id expect Mussy to pull away over the second third.  Not sure who else I see competing up there, Broxburn for sure …. Not seeing much else , regardless the prizes for anything beyond first are purely pride. 

13 hours ago, IDH said:

"He's not doing it" said quite a few Burgh players during an injury induced drinks break during the first half. They were talking about a team mate. At half-time the player was moved and five minutes later subbed. It seemed like there was more discontent amongst the team than at any other point of the season.

Joe Hamil has a tough job putting the moaners and whingers back in their place and reasserting unity. It does not help that that a player was sent off for a tackle 100 yards from his own goal and that we have only 2 full backs in the squad. Playing a centre half at right back and then moving him to left back at the injury break cannot be the solution. On the bright side Bradley Whyte scored another fantastic goal. This time with no assistance required.    

I know nothing of the "he's not doing it" but I know who you're talking about. Lad needs a goal and can maybe relax!

On right back, left back then right centre back, you're correct. We should be playing 3 at the back - Liam, Jono & Page from right to left - and allowing the full/wing backs to go and express themselves. Yes, we only have 2 of them but that's enough in my opinion as we need to improve/bring in midfielders to both support the defence better and forward line. 

Special mention to Brad and his "worldy", but an even bigger mention to Ross in goals. His communication & distribution needs to improve - and it will as he gets older - but what a shot-stopper! Comfortably M.O.M. 

Edited by Passthebaw

1 hour ago, Passthebaw said:

I know nothing of the "he's not doing it" but I know who you're talking about. Lad needs a goal and can maybe relax!

On right back, left back then right centre back, you're correct. We should be playing 3 at the back - Liam, Jono & Page from right to left - and allowing the full/wing backs to go and express themselves. Yes, we only have 2 of them but that's enough in my opinion as we need to improve/bring in midfielders to both support the defence better and forward line. 

Special mention to Brad and his "worldy", but an even bigger mention to Ross in goals. His communication & distribution needs to improve - and it will as he gets older - but what a shot-stopper! Comfortably M.O.M. 

We agree, as before that the best defensive line up is a back three. But whether it is a back 3 or back you, I think we have to stick to that format for a number of weeks and not chop/change every few weeks. 

When I saw Ben McGinlay in goals, against Dunbar, he did not fill me with confidence and couldn’t help but think that Ross was a better keeper. Until this season, I followed Musselburgh U20s from the start of our involvement in the EoS. First we had Jack Stewart, who I thought was as good a keeper as any in the conference. Then Ross stepped in and some of his performances help Burgh from getting hammered on a few occasions. As I keep on saying, if you are good enough, you are old enough to play for the main team. 

I would like to see Connor Fitzpatrick get a wee run in the main team too. Another U20s player with a couple of years in the U20s. Burgh are not setting the heather on fire with. Goals at the moment - top goalscorers have 4 to their name. A tall, strong forward and would be interesting to see a partnership up front with Mathu, particular as Connor must be close to 10 goals this season fo4 the U20s. 

Finally; give Ethen Wynne a starting position too for a few matches. Another U20s player, who is a regular in the main team match day squad, but rarely gets match time. As a 15 year old, he was never in awe of players in their last season of playing in the U20s. Now two years older, am sure he will have progressed, but doesn’t really get the opportunity to prove this. 

21 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

We agree, as before that the best defensive line up is a back three. But whether it is a back 3 or back you, I think we have to stick to that format for a number of weeks and not chop/change every few weeks. 

When I saw Ben McGinlay in goals, against Dunbar, he did not fill me with confidence and couldn’t help but think that Ross was a better keeper. Until this season, I followed Musselburgh U20s from the start of our involvement in the EoS. First we had Jack Stewart, who I thought was as good a keeper as any in the conference. Then Ross stepped in and some of his performances help Burgh from getting hammered on a few occasions. As I keep on saying, if you are good enough, you are old enough to play for the main team. 

I would like to see Connor Fitzpatrick get a wee run in the main team too. Another U20s player with a couple of years in the U20s. Burgh are not setting the heather on fire with. Goals at the moment - top goalscorers have 4 to their name. A tall, strong forward and would be interesting to see a partnership up front with Mathu, particular as Connor must be close to 10 goals this season fo4 the U20s. 

Finally; give Ethen Wynne a starting position too for a few matches. Another U20s player, who is a regular in the main team match day squad, but rarely gets match time. As a 15 year old, he was never in awe of players in their last season of playing in the U20s. Now two years older, am sure he will have progressed, but doesn’t really get the opportunity to prove this. 

Not sure what the answer is CJ, but if no improvement this weekend and subsequent midweek game versus Blackburn, they'll need to do something. Be it youth or experience, the team needs a wee refreshing for a week or 3 and see how it pans out. 

We have been starting with 4 at the back for the last 6 games. I don't see it changing soon. Whether it's been 4 or 3 the full backs play high and we get caught out far to often. 3 at the back hasn't worked since Bradley Donaldson left, although  Liam Reid only played at the centre of the 3 for the first time  at the end of Saturday's match.

Ross McRae was unlucky to be left out but since he got back in he has been excellent and should keep his place when Ben McGinley is available.

I agree with playing some of the Under 20 outfield players, in general, although it would be better to bring them in to a winning team. another reason for getting some positive results next week. 

2 hours ago, IDH said:

We have been starting with 4 at the back for the last 6 games. I don't see it changing soon. Whether it's been 4 or 3 the full backs play high and we get caught out far to often. 3 at the back hasn't worked since Bradley Donaldson left, although  Liam Reid only played at the centre of the 3 for the first time  at the end of Saturday's match.

Ross McRae was unlucky to be left out but since he got back in he has been excellent and should keep his place when Ben McGinley is available.

I agree with playing some of the Under 20 outfield players, in general, although it would be better to bring them in to a winning team. another reason for getting some positive results next week. 

Not sure about 6 games - I'd need to check. 

I'd play 3 and let the wing backs go and express themselves. Liam, Jono & Page are more than capable, and fwiw I don't think we've missed Bradley Donaldson. His voice maybe, but often that was too negative anyway. But be it a 3 or 4, the problem isn't in defence. Our offensive players aren't scoring goals, BW aside. 

The recent M.O.M's tell the story - mainly defenders!

Edited by Passthebaw

10 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Not sure about 6 games - I'd need to check. 

I'd play 3 and let the wing backs go and express themselves. Liam, Jono & Page are more than capable, and fwiw I don't think we've missed Bradley Donaldson. His voice maybe, but often that was too negative anyway. But be it a 3 or 4, the problem isn't in defence. Our offensive players aren't scoring goals, BW aside. 

The recent M.O.M's tell the story - mainly defenders!

Surprised to see we have been playing a back 4 for at least the last 6 games, IDH. Good spot, and didn'trealise it was this long. This has coincided with only 2 wins - a win against a very lacklustre Penicuik and a late goal versus Dundonald, alongside awful performances against Tynecastle x 2, HoB and Tranent. 

Prior to this we played a back 3 and were unbeaten in the league! 

A striker has not scored since we went to a back 4 - coincidence? We need Donaldson & Orru to support the offensive players and help create chances.

My team to play Saturday, assuming fit & eligible.

McCrae

Reid, McManus, Page

Donaldson, O'Kane, Whyte, Gregory, Orru

Downie, Smith

I thought Gregory looked lively last 20 on Saturday, so I'd give him a start. 

13 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Surprised to see we have been playing a back 4 for at least the last 6 games, IDH. Good spot, and didn'trealise it was this long. This has coincided with only 2 wins - a win against a very lacklustre Penicuik and a late goal versus Dundonald, alongside awful performances against Tynecastle x 2, HoB and Tranent. 

Prior to this we played a back 3 and were unbeaten in the league! 

A striker has not scored since we went to a back 4 - coincidence? We need Donaldson & Orru to support the offensive players and help create chances.

My team to play Saturday, assuming fit & eligible.

McCrae

Reid, McManus, Page

Donaldson, O'Kane, Whyte, Gregory, Orru

Downie, Smith

I thought Gregory looked lively last 20 on Saturday, so I'd give him a start. 

Currently Musselburgh are 5th in League. Our next two opponents (both away), The Swifts and Blackburn currently sit 9th and 12th respectively. Depending on how matches, up to 6 Oct 21, Musselburgh could move well ahead of both teams; or both could overtake us in the league. Therefore, two huge matches in prospect.

Having only seen Burgh play in three matches this season, I cannot comment on the players PTB has intimated that he would like to start on Saturday. So, I will respect your judgement and hope we yield 6 pts from the two matches.

A fine Musselburgh performance against a disappointing Swifts yesterday, with so many pleasing aspects. A deserved clean sheet, 4 goals all by offensive players, including a hat-trick for Darren Downie and a fine belated debut goal by Jordan Smith. Musselburgh were comfortable all day and although DD will get all the plaudits with the treble, it was great to see Dean Ballantyne get a start and get 3 assists, including the penalty.

Fair play to the management team too. I was way off with my team selection, the back 4 worked, the midfield were busy all day and it was great to see the strikers getting all the goals!

If no injuries, I'd expect to see the same team start on Wednesday away to Blackburn.

Unsurprisingly, Musselburgh started with the same 11 that started against The Swifts on Saturday in their Wednesday match away to Blackburn, and they got off to a decent start, playing some nice football and going in deservedly 1 up at the interval. A fine Josh Jeffries goal separated the sides.

However, Blackburn started much the better team in the 2nd half and within 15 minutes went ahead 2-1. This re-ignited Musselburgh and another fine goal by Bradley Whyte with around 20 minutes remaining evened the scoring and that's how stayed. 4 fine goals on the night, but  I do feel Musselburgh let this one slip from their grasp. 

A disappointing last 10-15 minutes in the 1st half, and the same at the start of the 2nd half saw Musselburgh chasing a game they controlled for long spells. In fact, for long spells I thought we played better than on Saturday when we won 4-0! I'd like the team collectively and individually to have more belief, and hopefully result in more wins. 

Fair play to Blackburn for keeping going, but I have to say their style of "hoofball", readily noticed by the Musselburgh supporters, from back to front is ugly to watch and rare in this day. Not sure I could watch that every week! 

Musselburgh march on to another big game on Saturday versus local neighbours, Newtongrange, still looking for their first win this season - let's hope it's not against us! 💙

Unsurprisingly, Musselburgh started with the same 11 that started against The Swifts on Saturday in their Wednesday match away to Blackburn, and they got off to a decent start, playing some nice football and going in deservedly 1 up at the interval. A fine Josh Jeffries goal separated the sides.
However, Blackburn started much the better team in the 2nd half and within 15 minutes went ahead 2-1. This re-ignited Musselburgh and another fine goal by Bradley Whyte with around 20 minutes remaining evened the scoring and that's how stayed. 4 fine goals on the night, but  I do feel Musselburgh let this one slip from their grasp. 
A disappointing last 10-15 minutes in the 1st half, and the same at the start of the 2nd half saw Musselburgh chasing a game they controlled for long spells. In fact, for long spells I thought we played better than on Saturday when we won 4-0! I'd like the team collectively and individually to have more belief, and hopefully result in more wins. 
Fair play to Blackburn for keeping going, but I have to say their style of "hoofball", readily noticed by the Musselburgh supporters, from back to front is ugly to watch and rare in this day. Not sure I could watch that every week! 
Musselburgh march on to another big game on Saturday versus local neighbours, Newtongrange, still looking for their first win this season - let's hope it's not against us! [emoji170]

Hoofball or playing to exploit the space left by Musselburgh …… depends what perspective you look at it i suppose. From my perspective I’d go with the later as it got us two goals.

Musselburgh are a very good footballing team and scored two cracking goals. All the best for the rest of the season.

28 minutes ago, budgie smuggler said:

Hoofball or playing to exploit the space left by Musselburgh …… depends what perspective you look at it i suppose. From my perspective I’d go with the later as it got us two goals.

Musselburgh are a very good footballing team and scored two cracking goals. All the best for the rest of the season.

I am going to stick out my neck here and say I agree, at least, with the question you raise. The modern style of football now a days is to play out from the back. When it works, it can be a beautiful thing to watch. But time and time again I see this kind of football break down simply as some players simply cannot pass a ball properly, even simple balls. 

I don’t just mean Musselburgh but lots of teams who play this style of football. What is wrong, at times, with just pumping the ball up the part. That’s where you hope your forward line will do their bit, beat a defender to a header or slide the ball past the last man and then just take their chance. 

Whether it is play ‘attractive’ football from the back, or hoofing the ball to your target player(s); it all depends on how good you are as a team. If your good, crack on at hat ever works for you. 

Hoofball? Aye right Pep 😂
Blackburn played with one striker, not a giant either. Both Blackburn wingers played well. Decent game, Blackburn should have had a penalty at 2-1 up which could have settled the result but a point is not the worst result when you are playing Barca 😋

6 hours ago, PastyMan said:

Hoofball? Aye right Pep 😂
Blackburn played with one striker, not a giant either. Both Blackburn wingers played well. Decent game, Blackburn should have had a penalty at 2-1 up which could have settled the result but a point is not the worst result when you are playing Barca 😋

No recollection of any penalty. It'd have been a big injustice if Musselburgh got nothing from the game.

8 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I am going to stick out my neck here and say I agree, at least, with the question you raise. The modern style of football now a days is to play out from the back. When it works, it can be a beautiful thing to watch. But time and time again I see this kind of football break down simply as some players simply cannot pass a ball properly, even simple balls. 

I don’t just mean Musselburgh but lots of teams who play this style of football. What is wrong, at times, with just pumping the ball up the part. That’s where you hope your forward line will do their bit, beat a defender to a header or slide the ball past the last man and then just take their chance. 

Whether it is play ‘attractive’ football from the back, or hoofing the ball to your target player(s); it all depends on how good you are as a team. If your good, crack on at hat ever works for you. 

My issue CJ is Blackburn done it every time. They didn't "mix it up", but maybe that's their strengths, and fair play to them, but I ain't called "passthebaw" for nothing! 😉

Edited by Passthebaw

32 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

My issue CJ is Blackburn done it every time. They didn't "mix it up", but maybe that's their strengths, and fair play to them, but I ain't called "passthebaw" for nothing! 😉

Fair enough. You saw the match and I didn’t. 👍