Musselburgh Athletic 2021/22

A great win for Musselburgh tonight factoring in all their challenges this last few weeks. A fine Nathan Evans opener in the 1st half was complimented by a Mathu King penalty in the 2nd half. Sauchie had their moments of possession without seriously threatening Burgh who'll be delighted with a well deserved clean sheet. 

13 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

You are going to be the main man on here this season PTB, so keep on posting 👍

Hope Joe and David settle in quickly after the first management change - pre-season didn’t work out. Still think Burgh need a goalkeeper - a holding midfielder and a big strong forward. Nathan is proving me wrong with the number of goals he has so far, in friendlies and now league campaign. 

Think today is a must win if Musselburgh are to be considered a contender this season. A draw will probably see Burgh 4 behind after only 3 matches, but have confidence of a win. Will be interesting how Musselburgh line up today, in Joe’s first start as manager. I like the back 3, but not sure that is a set up Haddington played? 

Enjoy the match today PTB. Will hopefully see you sometime soon at a venue still to be decided.

27 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

You are going to be the main man on here this season PTB, so keep on posting 👍

Hope Joe and David settle in quickly after the first management change - pre-season didn’t work out. Still think Burgh need a goalkeeper - a holding midfielder and a big strong forward. Nathan is proving me wrong with the number of goals he has so far, in friendlies and now league campaign. 

Think today is a must win if Musselburgh are to be considered a contender this season. A draw will probably see Burgh 4 behind after only 3 matches, but have confidence of a win. Will be interesting how Musselburgh line up today, in Joe’s first start as manager. I like the back 3, but not sure that is a set up Haddington played? 

Enjoy the match today PTB. Will hopefully see you sometime soon at a venue still to be decided.

Agree on Nathan Evans. Big player for us right now alongside 1 of 3. I look forward to Darren Downie being fully match fit. 

After Tuesday's win I expect Musselburgh to be largely unchanged personnel & set-up wise with Declan in for an injured Connor, and possibly Callum Donaldson back in, but for who? 

Big game. I hear CP have a decent budget this season and with Mussy away in the next 2 games we cannot afford a defeat. 

Cya soon CJ!

How was the game today? Tried to persuade the wee one to go along but she wasn't having it. :lol: 

Got to the Edinburgh Uni friendly, and the Sauchie game on Tuesday and it's been great being back in a stadium. Olivebank looking very good too. Haven't been in the clubhouse yet though. With the floodlights up I'm hoping to get along a lot more as there's quite a few Tuesday night games pencilled in it seems. Weekends are hit and miss with the wee one and my season ticket at Tynecastle, but I'll be at what I can.

Might even get myself the new home shirt next time I'm along. Starting to really take in interest in my adopted hometown team. Hope to be a familiar face in time.

10 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Olivebank looking very good too. Haven't been in the clubhouse yet though. With the floodlights up I'm hoping to get along a lot more as there's quite a few Tuesday night games pencilled in it seems.

Tue 10 Aug     Musselburgh v Stoneyburn (EQC R2)
Tue 31 Aug     Musselburgh v Penicuik
Tue 09 Nov     Musselburgh v Blackburn

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tue 10 Aug     Musselburgh v Stoneyburn (EQC R2)
Tue 31 Aug     Musselburgh v Penicuik
Tue 09 Nov     Musselburgh v Blackburn

Looking forward to that Penicuik game, could be a topper. I'll defo be along for the Stoneyburn game.

12 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

How was the game today? Tried to persuade the wee one to go along but she wasn't having it. :lol: 

Got to the Edinburgh Uni friendly, and the Sauchie game on Tuesday and it's been great being back in a stadium. Olivebank looking very good too. Haven't been in the clubhouse yet though. With the floodlights up I'm hoping to get along a lot more as there's quite a few Tuesday night games pencilled in it seems. Weekends are hit and miss with the wee one and my season ticket at Tynecastle, but I'll be at what I can.

Might even get myself the new home shirt next time I'm along. Starting to really take in interest in my adopted hometown team. Hope to be a familiar face in time.

Decent game in glorious sunshine. A draw was probably a fair result in the end but Mussy will be kicking themselves as they were on top for long spells. 

Decent crowd too. Looked in excess of 300. 

Tonight's game abandoned after 28 minutes due to torrential rain before and during the game. Surface water was quickly evident on a solid pitch. Scoreline 0-0 at time with no clear chances for any team. 

We go again........probably in the middle of Winter! 😁

2 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

Tonight's game abandoned after 28 minutes due to torrential rain before and during the game. Surface water was quickly evident on a solid pitch. Scoreline 0-0 at time with no clear chances for any team. 

We go again........probably in the middle of Winter! 😁

No clear chances did u miss sean Stewart shot that the goalie had to.beat away.

Vaguely remember the chance at our LB position but not enough to deem "clear cut". Opinions eh. 
Think it was a pretty clear cut chance tbh. The goalkeeper got over to it sharp to knock it out for a corner.

He had another save down low to the left that would be deemed clear cut as well but never really bothered the GK.

When the fixture list came out, this afternoon's match appeared to be the hardest, on paper, out of the first 5 matches. I think of Dundonald as being a dour battling team that is hard to beat, and I am not criticising them with these thoughts. Always tough to go there and get points, but we need at least one point to keep us moving and not dropping further behind those at the top of the league.

5 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

When the fixture list came out, this afternoon's match appeared to be the hardest, on paper, out of the first 5 matches. I think of Dundonald as being a dour battling team that is hard to beat, and I am not criticising them with these thoughts. Always tough to go there and get points, but we need at least one point to keep us moving and not dropping further behind those at the top of the league.

Mussy raced to a 2-0 lead at HT, CJ - well deserved. Then sat back in the 2nd half and invited DB on. That said, Mussy deserved their away win, even affording a Nathan Evans penalty miss - the first away win this season.

Edited by Passthebaw

18 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Mussy raced to a 2-0 lead at HT, CJ - well deserved. Then sat back in the 2nd half and invited DB on. That said, Mussy deserved their away win, even affording a Nathan Evans penalty miss - the first away win this season.

It was a great result PTB! The pitch drainage must be better at Cardenden this season!  Nathan Evans scored again yesterday and long may it continue. Is he now the 1st pick up front? 

Puts us in great shape for home match on Saturday against Jeanfield. 

I popped into the thread to check how the game went yesterday - by all accounts, a great result for the Burgh. I seen the bus was pretty packed for the trip with away fans too, love to see that!

Having looked at the table this morning, it will be a big ask to keep in touch with Tranent and Penicuik this season. Fingers crossed though!

1 hour ago, Pete83 said:

I popped into the thread to check how the game went yesterday - by all accounts, a great result for the Burgh. I seen the bus was pretty packed for the trip with away fans too, love to see that!

Having looked at the table this morning, it will be a big ask to keep in touch with Tranent and Penicuik this season. Fingers crossed though!

Huge ask Pete to both. Saturday coming is already a must win match, I think. We play Jeanfield, at home, and I would have picked them as favourites, just, over Tranent, for the title. Win the match and we go above Jeanfield. 

Two big ‘ifs’ and no certainty in any of this. If we had beat Camelon on Tuesday, (called off after 26 mins), and we won there last season, then if we beat either either Tranent or Penicuik, after 6 matches, we would be 1 point behind. So no forlong hope at this time of season. 

Think top teams will be looking for home wins against potential title rivals. Think this is going to be close at the top come end of season.