How many countries in the world have a footballer as their best ever male sportsman?

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Oh no! Anyways meme - Album on Imgur

I started writing out the next post yesterday but I got bored and stopped. I was going to reply to some of the shouts in here today (awful ones at that) and then deleted the saved reply I had started. 

Brunei therefore is Shah Razen Said - Wikipedia, and you'll have to take my word for it. Their non-footballer is Fakhri Ismail - Wikipedia who holds the national record for the 100 metres, 10.59. I could do that. Their "Sports in Brunei" wikipedia page is a bit depressing: Sport in Brunei - Wikipedia

Bulgaria have Hristo Stoichkov - Wikipedia who is a fairly easy choice for best footballer. Boyan Radev - Wikipedia is a two-time Olympic champion in Greco-Roman wrestling. So is Petar Kirov - WikipediaKhristo Markov - Wikipedia is an Olympic and world champion in the triple jump and Yordan Yovchev - Wikipedia is a world champion gymnast who represented them at six Olympics. I'm not sure who the best non-footballer is, but it seems difficult to get better than Stoichkov. 

Burkina Faso have a surprisingly capable national team. Charles Kaboré - Wikipedia is the current national team captain and record cap holder, and won quite a few trophies with Marseille. Bertrand Traoré - Wikipedia seems like he could set a few records in the future, but Kabore wins this one for the time being. 

I have no idea who the best non-footballer is here. They don't seem to have any, and certainly not at the same level of any of their footballers.

Burundi have a nice blast from the past up front: Saido Berahino - Wikipedia. Nobody else from Burundi has played anywhere near the level of Berahino. Mohamed Tchité - Wikipedia seems to exist with a very good track record in the Belgian league, but he had some issues with the national team. 

Vénuste Niyongabo - Wikipedia won the 5000m at the 1996 Olympics, and has the 6th fastest time in history for running a mile. 

Cambodia have a national team all playing in their domestic league. Keo Sokpheng - Wikipedia looks like he has the best combination of caps and goals while still having age on his side to increase his totals, so I'm inclined to pick him. Chan Vathanaka - Wikipedia has a photograph on his wikipedia and a lot of individual awards, perhaps he's a better shout.

Outside of football I have no idea. Cambodia has some national sports that are probably a better shout, but I've no idea how to quantify those. Lots of options needing some imput today. 

I will go full Pepp on behalf of Hristo, a magnificent mental b*****d who was an integral part of a great Club & International team.

Edited by Moomintroll

Some nuclear hot takes in here btw. Not least putting Pepp and PB in the same bracket.

Snooker isn't even a sport anyway, it's a game. Hendry as Scotland's greatest ever sportsman ? For beating the same dozen or so half cut alcoholics for 7 years ?

Not for me Clive.

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

:lol: Surprised anyone continued interacting with the blatant troll after this belter.

I hate Pep as much as the next P&B poster but why is that a belter?

Faldo is Britain's most successful post war golfer with 6 majors.

4 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Trinidad and Tobago is an interesting one, Brian Lara v Dwight Yorke.

I'm in to cricket so would give it to Lara.

Definitely Lara - he reached the very top of his sport and sets numerous records which still stand. He was widely regarded as the best batsman in the world for a few years and even now would most folks' top fives of best ever cricketers. 

4 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Trinidad and Tobago is an interesting one, Brian Lara v Dwight Yorke.

I'm in to cricket so would give it to Lara.

Lara for me, I don't think his records for Test & 1st class Cricket will ever be beaten, an absolute joy to watch him dismantling even the best bowling attacks.

7 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I hate Pep as much as the next P&B poster but why is that a belter?

Faldo is Britain's most successful post war golfer with 6 majors.

I don’t think all sports are comparable and it’s not just as simple as looking at Murray’s grand slam total, Faldo’s major wins, Hendry’s world titles, etc. For me what Murray has achieved in tennis is superior to what Faldo did in golf, or indeed what Hendry did in snooker.

I’m not anti-golf in any way and will happily sit and watch the majors, but golf is a sport where you’re basically playing yourself, and the competitive element is minimal compared to tennis. Tennis is hard physical competition against other elite athletes, and Murray regularly competed against three of the best (if not THE three best) in the history of the sport, beating each of them numerous times and winning 3 majors (5 if you count the Olympics).

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This is all very well and good but I need someone to tell me what they think about the non-footballers of Burkina Faso and Cambodia. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugues_Fabrice_Zango

World indoor record holder for the triple jump is from Burkina Faso. Bronze medalist at the 2019 world championships. That’s the best I can find, and I’d say the footballers are better. 

This is all very well and good but I need someone to tell me what they think about the non-footballers of Burkina Faso and Cambodia. 
Sanfo Lassina is notable as a born and bred Burkinabe who plays professional baseball in a Japanese diddy league.

As for the Bodgies, they're even weaker at other sports than they are at football. Vath Chamroeun has been in a couple of films after wrestling at the Olympics, so pretty famous I imagine. Hem Bunting came 42nd in the Paris marathon and has won three medals at the SE Asian games.

7 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugues_Fabrice_Zango

World indoor record holder for the triple jump is from Burkina Faso. Bronze medalist at the 2019 world championships. That’s the best I can find, and I’d say the footballers are better. 

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Sanfo Lassina is notable as a born and bred Burkinabe who plays professional baseball in a Japanese diddy league.

As for the Bodgies, they're even weaker at other sports than they are at football. Vath Chamroeun has been in a couple of films after wrestling at the Olympics, so pretty famous I imagine. Hem Bunting came 42nd in the Paris marathon and has won three medals at the SE Asian games.

I don't know how you lads know so much about the world or can find it out so readily (well, Diego seems to have lived in every country in the world) but this is good stuff. I've updated the list in the OP with the choices so far.

Cameroon are in a bit of a lull right now, considering their past successes. There are a few notable names here for football but I don't think there would be any arguments against Samuel Eto'o - Wikipedia for best ever. He's played at the highest level, he's won the most, there's nothing else to say.

For non-footballers it's a surprising lack of options considering the size of the country. Francis Ngannou - Wikipedia is currently the UFC Heavyweight champion and that's about the best I can do. Easy win for the footballer.

Canada have absolute shite. Alphonso Davies will easily win this in a few years but for the time being Dwayne De Rosario - Wikipedia seems the best option. I'll wait for @senorsoupe's input.

All of this is irrelevant because there are about 50 hockey players I could pick, but Wayne Gretzky - Wikipedia is the obvious winner.

Cape Verde have a reasonable array of options. All their leading players for caps and goals are players from this century. Noted Swiss player Gelson Fernandes was born in Cape Verde, but he doesn't count here. I'm picking Ryan Mendes - Wikipedia as one of a few who seem quite similar in terms of stature and national team performance, although he's not playing in the UAE which isn't very good.

They seem to have very little to offer for non-footballers. If anyone can find someone I can't I'll take it, but I'm coming up short as it stands.

Cayman Islands are making me wonder why I included so many of these stupid countries. One of their most notable players played for Stockport's reserves and his wikipedia actually notes that he scored against Everton's reserves once. Mark Ebanks - Wikipedia has a good caps/goals record, I'll pick him. 

Outside of football Shaune Fraser - Wikipedia looks decent with an assortment of swimming medals at the Pan American and Central American and Caribbean Games. Even if there are other Cayman...ian? athletes who are better he's an easy choice over the footballers, so it's fine.

Central African Republic take the award for worst country name in the world, but Geoffrey Kondogbia - Wikipedia wins their footballer title quite easily. 

Basketball is quite popular there, with wins in the African championship in 1974 and 1987. There aren't any individual names jumping out at me and I don't think any of them are going to compare to Kondogbia on an individual level anyway, so I think this one should just be awarded to the footballer.

Wouldn't qualify under the criteria but worth mentioning Henrik Larsson has a Cape Verdean Da.

Also for Brunei Faiq Bolkiah with six caps & a goal has spent time in the youth ranks of several English top flight teams & is currently of the books of Portuguese top flight team Marítimo but has only played for their B team in the 2nd tier thus far. Is also a member of Brunei's royal family being the son of Jefri Bolkiah, Prince of Brunei & nephew of current sultan Hassanal Bolkiah. Being a member of a royal family means he  has an estimated net worth of $20 billion which makes him the worlds richest footballer.

Edited by GNU_Linux