How many countries in the world have a footballer as their best ever male sportsman?

Nice patter 
Only responding as you're a Scotland fan
Murray is probably Uk's greatest ever sportsman
How he won anything against 3 of the greatest sportsman of all time in their prime is unbelievable 
Breaking 75 year Wimbledon and Davis cup hoodoo
And has crippled himself in process such was the level of effort put in to do so
Massive snooker fan and chuffed Hendry still ahead of osullivan, revolutionised game etc but it's silly to claim it's global 
There's at least 6 Scottish sportsmen I'd have above Hendry.

Chris Hoy
Andy Murray
Jim Clark
Kenny Dalglish
Denis Law
Ken Buchanan

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Disagree.

Ayrton Senna by a country mile.

Correct. 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Thats that settled then 

Correct.

Anyway…

Benin: Laurent D’Jaffo

Finland: Jari Litmannen

Mexico: Hugo Sanchez 

Sweden: Zlatan

Edited by 8MileBU

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Chris Hoy
Andy Murray
Jim Clark
Kenny Dalglish
Denis Law
Ken Buchanan

Why on earth would Andy Murray be ranked above Hendry? There is literally not one measure at all on which he is above Hendry, not one. Not even close.

Please stop making the same point over and over again, it's tedious as f**k. As is your refusal to even consider any opinion which differs from your own.

Anyway, we haven't got to Scotland yet.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Please stop making the same point over and over again, it's tedious as f**k. As is your refusal to even consider any opinion which differs from your own.

Anyway, we haven't got to Scotland yet.

Why would you just consider pure nonsense that is patently wrong for the sake of being polite? If you rank Murray above Hendry you are simplywrong. I didn't decide that, reality did. I just observed it. Its not a controversial statement, they aren't even close. If people would just accept a simple obvious reality I wouldn't have to keep repeating it would I?

3 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Why would you just consider pure nonsense

This is the sort of having no respect for others' opinions I was on about. You can pack it in, or you can find a different forum to post on. Pretty much every post you make on here is made in a rage so I don't think being on here can be good for you.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

On 22/07/2021 at 14:41, Miguel Sanchez said:

Belgium are currently in the most successful period of their existence. I think Eden Hazard - Wikipedia is an easy shout for their best player. Historically people like Bernard Voorhoof - WikipediaJan Ceulemans - Wikipedia and Michel Preud'homme - Wikipedia look decent shouts but similar to Austria, I think Hazard's modern-day top level career is more impressive.

In spite of this, I think the non-footballer is going to win. Eddy Merckx - Wikipedia is the most successful cyclist of all time with 11 grand tour wins. Gaston Roelants - Wikipedia was Olympic champion in the 3000m steeplechase (and looked fucking spectacular) . Jacky Ickx - Wikipedia won the 24 Hours of Le Mans 6 times, and was runner-up in the F1 World Championship twice. Merckx and Ickx both have a shout for a win here if you ask me but it's hard to see past Merckx as the absolute best in his sport and better than the footballers as a result. 

first name that came to mind for a best ever Belgian player was Kompany tbh, dunno how him and Hazard compare for trophies/caps but he was brilliant (a bit injury prone iirc, but I think Hazard is the same in that regard). Bit of a moot point seeing as he still wouldn't shade Merckx for best ever, but want to throw his name in there.

Correct.
Finland: Jari Litmannen

The footballer definitely isn't winning this one.

Paavo Nurmi would be the answer of 90% of Finns. Someone like Teemu Selanne would be a better shout than Litmanen too, and that's before getting into their spear chuckers and car drivers.

13 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Why would you just consider pure nonsense that is patently wrong for the sake of being polite? If you rank Murray above Hendry you are simplywrong. I didn't decide that, reality did. I just observed it. Its not a controversial statement, they aren't even close. If people would just accept a simple obvious reality I wouldn't have to keep repeating it would I?

Pepp, ffs stop arguing with Mods. You of all people know that never ends well.

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

The footballer definitely isn't winning this one.

Paavo Nurmi would be the answer of 90% of Finns. Someone like Teemu Selanne would be a better shout than Litmanen too, and that's before getting into their spear chuckers and car drivers.

The first two weren’t posted with much seriousness m9.

I think the Finn’s would likely vote for Tommi Makinen or Kimi Räikkönen.

45 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Chris Hoy
Andy Murray
Jim Clark
Kenny Dalglish
Denis Law
Ken Buchanan

It's tough to compare those from very different sports.

Jackie Stewart would also have. to be considered with Jim Clark.

David Wilkie deserves a mention too.

11 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

There's also Juha Kankkunen and Mika Hakkinen as well. France will be interesting with Loeb, Ogier and Prost amongst their other sportsmen.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

40 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
48 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Having lived in Finland I'd very confidently say they'd go for Nurmi, and rightly so.

Had to Google who that even was but immediately recognised the nickname of “The Flying Finn”.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

There's also Juha Kankkunen and Mika Hakkinen as well. France will be interesting with Loeb, Ogier and Prost amongst their other sportsmen.

Forgot about Hakkinen.

Absolute shite. Nick Faldo shits all over Murray. Murray isn't that good mate. Dalglish has a much better claim too. He was better at his sport than Murray is at his. He was best in the world, Murray wasn't. His sport is bigger. Do you think anyone will be talking about Murray in 40 or 50 years? Will they f**k, nobody will even have heard of him. But everyone knows Dalglish.
What a lot of absolute tosh.

Just about every person in this country who has a basic knowledge of sports knew that prior to Murray, Fred Perry was the last British man to win Wimbledon and that was 85 years ago. Given that Murray is likely going to be the last Brit to win Wimbledon for a very long time people will Of course still talk about him and know who he is and rightly so.

Hendry has had a great career but he is not unique in Britain where as Murray is unique because he is the first man in our lifetime to achieve what he has and achieved it in what is without doubt the most competive era of Tennis in history.

Personally Murray winning Wimbledon is one of the greatest sporting moments I have witnessed

Chris Hoy
Andy Murray
Jim Clark
Kenny Dalglish
Denis Law
Ken Buchanan
Agree with this and would also consider Graeme Souness in there as well.

Also think if Josh Taylor continues at the rate he is now there will be a good argument in a few years for him being up there as well. What he has achieved in 18 fights is nothing short of spectacular. He is an Absolute Rolls Royce of a boxer/fighter regardless of what he does out the ring