Scotland v Moldova

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The way I read that is:

• The rankings say Scotland's players are better than Israel.
  • The rankings say Austria's players are better than Scotland
  • I think Scotland's players are on a par with Austria's players.

So on the one hand you use the rankings to say Scotland's players are better than Israel's players and on the other hand discard the rankings in favour of some other reasoning to say Scotland's players are on a par with Austria's players.

You think Austria have had easier games then?

Jesus. 

Based on my assessment of the players I have seen in the Israel team, we are better than Israel. 

Based on my assessment of the players I have seen in the Austria team, we are on a par. 

Based on my assessment of our own players and their quality, we should be a top 30 team in the FIFA rankings or thereabouts.

Based on my assessment of the players we have and their quality/attributes, we should be winning significantly more games than what we are doing and should be playing a lot better than what the performances have been. 

Now, based on your own assessment, do you think we should be playing better and should be getting better results with the players we have in the squad? 

37 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Scotland players are better than Israel based on, er rankings. We are not better than Austria, according to the rankings, because they win more games than us. I would say we are on a par with Austria in terms of player ability. 

8 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Jesus. 

Based on my assessment of the players I have seen in the Israel team, we are better than Israel. 

Based on my assessment of the players I have seen in the Austria team, we are on a par. 

Based on my assessment of our own players and their quality, we should be a top 30 team in the FIFA rankings or thereabouts.

Based on my assessment of the players we have and their quality/attributes, we should be winning significantly more games than what we are doing and should be playing a lot better than what the performances have been. 

Now, based on your own assessment, do you think we should be playing better and should be getting better results with the players we have in the squad? 

So it's not based on the rankings it's just your opinion? I definitely think we could, but I think the players in our squad aren't better than what Austria have in theirs and are maybe a wee bit better than what Israel have in theirs so I'd say the our team should expect to finish third and hope to get second.

I didn't watch the game last night, but I thought our performances have been concerning in some respects mostly slow starts in the Austria, Israel and Denmark games, but I'm not overly concerned and still behind the manager. I feel like he is in a bit of a tough spot, can't do right for doing wrong and it is better he is supported rather than chastised.

Edited by 2426255

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

So it's not based on the rankings it's just your opinion? I definitely think we could, but I think the players in our squad aren't better than what Austria have in theirs and are maybe a wee bit better than what Israel have in theirs so I'd say the our team should expect to finish third and hope to get second.

I didn't watch the game last night, but I thought our performances have been concerning in some respects mostly slow starts in the Austria, Israel and Denmark games, but I'm not overly concerned and still behind the manager.

🤣🤣 I feel a bit silly for engaging with you now. 

2 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

🤣🤣 I feel a bit silly for engaging with you now. 

You've lost me completely mate and you're making me question my own sanity now. Am I missing something? 

Edited by 2426255

I think we have to find a balance between winning the game well and not draining the players who are going to start the Austria match.
The question as always is do we start strong and hopefully get a few goals in front before looking to rest key players or start with backup players and bring on first choice players if we need to rescue the game? I'm sure it will be a mix, but that's the basic scenario.
I think if we play our strongest team for the full game it will compromise us in Austria.
Start strong and get the game won.  Bring key players off after no more than an hour with less pressure on the fringe players
I feel like the right changes aren't a significant drop-off relative to the opposition. I don't think I've ever seen Moldova play a football match before, but the fact they're bottom seeds suggests we shouldn't need Adams, Gilmour and Robertson going full-pelt for even an hour when we have relatively fine replacements, especially when there's such a huge match a few days later.

The backlash if we lose with a much-changed side would be understandably wild though.

15 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I feel like the right changes aren't a significant drop-off relative to the opposition. I don't think I've ever seen Moldova play a football match before, but the fact they're bottom seeds suggests we shouldn't need Adams, Gilmour and Robertson going full-pelt for even an hour when we have relatively fine replacements, especially when there's such a huge match a few days later.

The backlash if we lose with a much-changed side would be understandably wild though.

The added complication might be goal difference though and that's where it's trickier as I believe after points it is goal difference that decides the standings. This is probably our best opportunity to score 3 or more.

image.png.5a7dae3803fae88483da3fd3de443152.png

Edited by 2426255

15 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Don't disagree in principle, ideally you could play a complete second string and win comfortably, but especially as GD could well be important with the group so close you can't really take the chance I don't think.

Certainly no problem with taking a couple out but it has to be a strong lineup for me.

3 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Don't disagree in principle, ideally you could play a complete second string and win comfortably, but especially as GD could well be important with the group so close you can't really take the chance I don't think.

Certainly no problem with taking a couple out but it has to be a strong lineup for me.

It will be a balancing act.

19 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Unlike the Euro qualifying, goal difference is the tie-breaker, so handing out an absolute hiding becomes a lot more important.  However, as another wrinkle, we could pip Austria on goal difference, but then results against Moldova will then be stricken from the record for the 2nd placed rankings.  We could be in the position where we pip Austria because we pumped Moldova more roundly, but end up unseeded in the playoffs because we didn't pump anyone else (fortunately no-one misses out on playoffs, unlike previous years).  

Ultimately none of this is likely to matter, as we'll likely finish 3rd, but in our position we can't really afford not to treat Saturday's game like a chance to rack up goals.  Take 6 off them, then go to Vienna with confidence.

9 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You sound absolutely mental. Weren’t you the moron who shrieked racism because people didn’t know how to pronounce your striker’s name?

Yes, racists and anti-vaxxers (and Fifers) often overlap. As they do here.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Yes, racists and anti-vaxxers (and Fifers) often overlap. As they do here.

😂

How am I an anti-vaxxer you absolute moonbeam? Do you just read things and regurgitate them without understanding their meaning?

I am very much in favour of vaccines and have no issue with wearing a face covering in crowded places.

Please continue to show off what a fucking idiot you are though, don’t mind me.

I keep saying this and I said it before the euros, we should be far more positive in how we start games , the last time i seen us start well was probably serbia.

we are far too slow out the blocks, I dont mean gung ho from the first minute but at least try and put teams under more pressure earlier.

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Yes, those three plus Kevin Nisbet should be in contention for Moldova and Austria. 

good , it would be nice to see us go out and score a few goals, and get some players more minutes.

to be fair under clarke we have won most of these types of games.

I keep saying this and I said it before the euros, we should be far more positive in how we start games , the last time i seen us start well was probably serbia.
we are far too slow out the blocks, I dont mean gung ho from the first minute but at least try and put teams under more pressure earlier.
Thinking back, we started brightly against the Czechs at the Euros, but it only lasted 10 mins or so before they stifled us then it became a lot more even and cagey