Scotland v Moldova

Two players in John McGinn and Stuart Armstrong being injured in the same position is bad fortune. Our options as far as replacements go could include Ryan Christie, David Turnbull, James Forrest and Ryan Fraser. I'm sure there will be calls for David Turnbull to fill in here against Denmark, but I'd say Ryan Christie might be the better choice.

McGinn stating he'll miss Denmark but be back for Moldova.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think that *might* work out okay for us. He tends to be a very effective flat track bully against medium-lower opposition, but is rarely as much of an offensive threat against stronger opposition. Against Denmark, Turnbull, Christie or maybe even Nisbet as the central attacking midfielder/second striker could make us a more dangerous entity.

Expect we need to call in a backup as well tho now that we've lost 2 attacking midfielders. Gauld's a fair shout for that surely.

On 28/08/2021 at 10:01, Estragon said:

Is anyone else having bother with tickets for this? I didn't get a confirmation email on buying them on 5th of August - and nothing has arrived by post.

Just phoned the bank, and they've confirmed the transaction. Wondering if anyone has encountered something similar. 

Just in case anyone's having a similar issue, although it does appear I'm the only numpty in Scotland here - I'd opted out of email marketing, and apparently this didn't then allow them to send my QR code tickets.  What they'd have done if I hadn't got in touch I don't know, but it was pretty straightforward to change, tickets now in my inbox.

59 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Did anyone else clock how Kris Boyd thinks we're playing the Faroe Islands on Saturday?

Kris Boyd is thick as shite so that’s no surprise.

McFadden responded to Scotland’s xG stats from the Euros by asking “how good were those chances though?”

Even after that shite tonight still looking forward to this, maybe not the football but meeting some mates and being back to Hampden with a decent crowd, will be looking for a reaction and hopefully take about 4 or 5 off this mob. Think the ideal lineup would be:
Clark
Hanley Cooper Tierney
SOD/Patterson Robertson
Gilmour McGregor
McGinn
Adams Dykes

Personally not a fan of the 5 at the back especially against the wee teams but Clarke will obviously go with it🤷🏼‍♂️

In:

Hendry, Patterson, Doig (probably won't happen), McGinn, two of Dykes/Christie/Nisbet

Out:

Cooper/Hanley, McKenna, Gilmour, Robertson, Fraser, Adams

Cooper, Hanley and Gilmour were probably our best players last night but I wouldn't play both the latter two in a game like this and I don't think Gilmour has three matches in him.

We can't take any chances on Robertson and it would be daft risking him when you have Doig five minutes away. Need Tierney at CB too so that rules out playing him LWB.

Keep McLean as he won't be playing against Austria, and McGregor will be fit enough to play all three (but sub him off if we're comfortable).

Rest Adams too and leave him as an impact sub if necessary.

I'd worry that given he missed last night, Clarke will want to start O'Donnell which would be v frustrating considering Patterson's clearly the better option against minnows (by all means start SOD v Austria).

8 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Did anyone else clock how Kris Boyd thinks we're playing the Faroe Islands on Saturday?

He appears to have got himself a gig on Sky Soccer Saturday. I can’t work out how he managed it since stringing sentences together never seemed to be one of his strong points.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'd worry that given he missed last night, Clarke will want to start O'Donnell which would be v frustrating considering Patterson's clearly the better option against minnows (by all means start SOD v Austria).

I don’t disagree but I can see Clarke wanting to get a settled defence for the last two games and so I can see him playing the same defence that he’ll want for Austria, so they get that time to work together on the pitch and get a bit of confidence back. I don’t mind if it’s either O’Donnell or Patterson, at least it’s be a bloody proper right back. 

I never saw the Denmark game unfortunately, but this was always a likely outcome. Some people need a reality check as to what they're expecting, our national football team isn't in the same position it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Moreover, it changes nothing as Israel and Austria are our direct competitors for the 2nd place playoff and always have been. Look at the upcoming fixtures, we could potentially be back in 2nd place at the halfway point (especially if we get a healthy win and boost our goal difference) after the Moldova game on Saturday heading into the Austria match:

• 04/09/21: Scotland v Moldova, Israel v Austria.
  • 07/09/21: Austria v Scotland, Denmark v Israel.
Edited by 2426255

8 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Do they have any stupid & pointless COVID-related rules in place at Hampden?

Can people still whining about having to wear a mask when half the fucking national team are quarantined please just hurry up and die and give the rest of us peace?

Anyway, this is now pointless, and to be honest I could do with it ending in a Moldova win as this might for once stop people from continuing to insist that just because the team can't score, can't defend, is plainly terrified of any and all opposition and has picked up five points from four games it's still perfectly possible that they'll qualify.