The long and winding road that leads me to... Campbeltown

And I'm home! 16.5 hours on the move today, and I wouldn't change a bit of it.

Only two slight hiccups today, Glen Scotia distillery was closed by time I got to it after game so I couldn't get a dram to bring home, and I missed the 5pm Gigha ferry by a whisker (I had the wizard idea of getting a quick ferry over and back to break up my drive home).

Reflecting on the game, I was quite impressed by Kilsyth, they were pretty ruthless. A lovely bit of skill on the left wing created the goal just on stroke of HT, which broke Campbeltown, and their defending in the second half wasn't the best. Kilsyth looked really fit and well organised.

Suspect the Pupils will have better days ahead though, not every opponent will be as ruthless.

The set up at Kintyre Park is perfectly fine for Tier 8, and plenty of potential to improve on it as they grow. The big banking along one side gives a great vantage point.

The crowd has been announced as "over 200 and sold nearly 100 season tickets today" which is really impressive.

Look forward to going back one day! Suspect my next trip will fit round a trip to Islay, but I wouldn't rule out doing the 400 mile day trip again.

Recommended! A really fun trip, felt like a mini-holiday (as my sun burn attests).

Also a wee word for the town itself. It gets a really bad rep, people say it's run down etc. I'd give it another go if you feel that way, my last visit there was in 2019 and plenty has changed for the better since, there was a definite bustle to the shopping street, lots of independent shops, plenty places to grab a bite to eat or a coffee - great to see a town centre on the up, let's celebrate that instead of putting them down. Some fantastic historic buildings in that town as well, it was great to wander round for a bit after the game.
IMG_20210717_121911.jpeg

That’s impressive numbers for the crowd and it looks like the Pupils have real potential to generate a support bigger than many.

What a great day you got for the drive which is a beautiful scenic route-the section south to Campbeltown from Tarbert when the views open out over the beaches and across to Islay/Gigha/Jura/Antrim is stunning.

It's some drive from Edinburgh, especially when you get stuck behind bams who like doing 40 mph. I don't mind limited vehicles like vans or tractors doing 40, that's their nature, but cars have no excuse. Anyway cnuts on the road for this pish.

I watched some anglers on the pier- they were unlikely to catch anything as there were a couple of seals lurking. One wee lad caught a crab and threw it back and the seal immediately grabbed it.

Westport beach as mentioned by Le Tout is worth a visit. Lovely views of the isles (to which shamefully I've never been)

IMG_20210717_172045141.thumb.jpg.e608aba457d19bae0066c0b288a2a9ec.jpg

16 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

And I'm home! 16.5 hours on the move today, and I wouldn't change a bit of it.

Only two slight hiccups today, Glen Scotia distillery was closed by time I got to it after game so I couldn't get a dram to bring home, and I missed the 5pm Gigha ferry by a whisker (I had the wizard idea of getting a quick ferry over and back to break up my drive home).

Reflecting on the game, I was quite impressed by Kilsyth, they were pretty ruthless. A lovely bit of skill on the left wing created the goal just on stroke of HT, which broke Campbeltown, and their defending in the second half wasn't the best. Kilsyth looked really fit and well organised.

Suspect the Pupils will have better days ahead though, not every opponent will be as ruthless.

The set up at Kintyre Park is perfectly fine for Tier 8, and plenty of potential to improve on it as they grow. The big banking along one side gives a great vantage point.

The crowd has been announced as "over 200 and sold nearly 100 season tickets today" which is really impressive.

Look forward to going back one day! Suspect my next trip will fit round a trip to Islay, but I wouldn't rule out doing the 400 mile day trip again.

Recommended! A really fun trip, felt like a mini-holiday (as my sun burn attests).

Also a wee word for the town itself. It gets a really bad rep, people say it's run down etc. I'd give it another go if you feel that way, my last visit there was in 2019 and plenty has changed for the better since, there was a definite bustle to the shopping street, lots of independent shops, plenty places to grab a bite to eat or a coffee - great to see a town centre on the up, let's celebrate that instead of putting them down. Some fantastic historic buildings in that town as well, it was great to wander round for a bit after the game.
IMG_20210717_121911.jpeg

The old picture house facing out to the Harbour-beautiful building and I think perhaps the oldest independently owned cinema in the UK.

Hoping that we get a game down there as it’s a lovely part of the world.I would definitely make a weekend of it and either stay in the town at the Ardshiel or a few miles out at the Argyll at Bellochantuy which sits on the beach and has stunning views across to Islay and Jura from its beachside beer garden-as well as doing great food.

[emoji3]

ill try again, do you know why it was postponed? I’d consider the afternoon of a game before a 3/4 hour drive late notice but all semantics really
Apologies, I thought you were suggesting that "late notice" was on the day of the match or something which inconveniences players and supporters who have travelled. That wasn't the case here though. I think it's clear that the clubs agreed not to announce the reason for the postponement, otherwise they would have done so.

I just find it bizarre teams are allowed to just postpone games between themselves. 

I am massively behind new clubs having a go in the senior ranks but postponing a game 4 days into the new season doesn’t look good for anybody. If traveling mid week is going to be an issue for them then this level won’t be for them. They had a habit of doing this in their Scottish amateur days, whereas Oban and other “far flung” sides would almost always make the trip regardless of player availability.

Edited by geo87

53 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I just find it bizarre teams are allowed to just postpone games between themselves. 

I am massively behind new clubs having a go in the senior ranks but postponing a game 4 days into the new season doesn’t look good for anybody. If traveling mid week is going to be an issue for them then this level won’t be for them. They had a habit of doing this in their Scottish amateur days, whereas Oban and other “far flung” sides would almost always make the trip regardless of player availability.

You're right. It's perfectly reasonable to expect some sort of communication about why a match has been postponed.  It's just basic courtesy to supporters. 

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

The game was not postponed between themselves, they requested permission for the postponement and it was granted. Travelling was not the issue.

3 hours ago, geo87 said:

What habit is this then mate? Any proof for this claim?