The long and winding road that leads me to... Campbeltown

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Finished 6-2 to Harmony Row.

Play was briefly held up in the second half as the referee admonished the visitors #17 for the heinous crime of eating a packet of skittles during the game, whilst waiting for a corner to be taken. "Are you taking the piss?" he asked, not unreasonably.

The referee threw the skittles off the pitch behind the goal but at every corner thereafter the #17 returned for a wee graze.

Attendance roughly 75.

IMG_20210911_140844.jpgIMG_20210911_152811.jpgIMG_20210911_140658.jpg

Could the boy be diabetic and needs sugar to help him get through the game?

3-0 to Pupils at half time today against Harthill. Came to the game whilst here for a long weekend. 

Also got some Whisky and visited Saddell Bay about 8 miles north of here before the game. Advantage of not trying to do whole trip in a day.

20210918_134529.jpg

20210918_133150.jpg

FB_IMG_1631972594242.jpg

FB_IMG_1631972580675.jpg

FB_IMG_1631972724644.jpg

5 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

I know its all relative over by in terms of A&B distances....but,...are Tarbert really judged to be local neighbours ?

Is it not about forty miles away ?

Mate considering the old local derby used to be Pupils and Oban Saint's when in the same league I'd hope that would back it up. Tarbert to Ctown is 36 miles, Oban is about 90.

• 4 weeks later...

Our politicians prefer pumping upwards of £250 million a year into ferry subsidies to building fixed links so even a Rothesay or Dunoon team would be a lot more difficult to sustain than it should be at this level. Hope it all works out OK for Campbeltown and they can keep pyramid participation going OK after the novelty wears off. Guess the Trust Award is a first step to licensing.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say 6-0 flattered Pollok, who just looked a few levels above, but it still felt harsh on Campbeltown. However I was absolutely shit faced for the majority of the game so perhaps not the best judge. Particularly enjoyed the game getting needlessly close to boiling over toward the end with two daft sending offs. I managed to call the correct score before the game tho'... which was nice. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Campbeltown Pupils get off the mark early with a 3-1 home win over Eglinton.

The daunting prospect of a trip to Threave Rovers (5-1 winners at Glenvale) now awaits next weekend. A mere 232 miles each way, a shade under five hours if they do F1 pitstops.

I'm heading down to Castle Douglas to cheer them on.

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Campbeltown Pupils get off the mark early with a 3-1 home win over Eglinton.

The daunting prospect of a trip to Threave Rovers (5-1 winners at Glenvale) now awaits next weekend. A mere 232 miles each way, a shade under five hours if they do F1 pitstops.

I'm heading down to Castle Douglas to cheer them on.

Well done the Pupils. If they get a result on Saturday it will be 232 hours to get home via all the boozers! Norrie will be demented. All the best on Saturday

• 11 months later...

I had a weekend in Tarbert booked in August, primarily to do a wee bit of walking on Gigha.

I am absolutely ecstatic to see that my trip coincides with a home tie against Easterhouse. First home league game of the season too, should be a good crowd in for it. 

I’m away to look up the bus times and the Springbank tour times. I can feel a plan coming together!