Illusory Superiority on P&B

Illusory Superiority on P&B  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laziness is a pretty important factor too to add in to the mix; i would say i was fairly intelligent at school (have slowly but surely regressed from there imo, p&b comprises almost all my reading now which... yeah thats a sobering thought 😐) but alas i always liked to do the bare minimum and just crammed for tests most of the time so i could piss about on PES or the like. I think i scored roughly 130 on an iq test many moons ago but im also a university dropout. Im not a full on "school of hard knocks, university of life" type, but im old enough and wise enough at this point to come to terms with/not care about past mistakes so much.

My favour P&B intelligence story is when an Airdrie fan, of all people, posted somewhere that putting that you were a Mensa member on your CV would open loads of doors and secure lucrative highly paid positions.

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My favour P&B intelligence story is when an Airdrie fan, of all people, posted somewhere that putting that you were a Mensa member on your CV would open loads of doors and secure lucrative highly paid positions.

Mis-spelled Mason? 

You can answer questions 100%.

The day they have a gun to you head, and ask, how are you now?

WHATS YOUR FUCKING ANSWER?`

Quiz thread is welcome to everyone we start every Monday, 08:00. 

Edited by SlipperyP

Knowledge - The retention of information.
“On average 1800 people are killed by tigers each year”. 

Intelligence - The implementation of knowledge. 
“There’s a tiger over there. They kill 1800 people per year. I won’t stick my head in its mouth.” 

Wisdom - The abstraction of intelligence. 
“There’s a lion over there. I don’t know how many people they kill but, given it looks as dangerous as a tiger, I won’t stick my head in its mouth either.”

I’ve known plenty of knowledgeable people, some intelligent ones, but damn few wise ones.

I've posted this before, absolute buzzfeed type of pish but still entertaining. 

It's interesting how people rate their emotional intelligence as if that means they are definitely smart, I reckon I've got roughly average IQ but better social intelligence and such social intelligence leads me to understanding that being aware of peoples feelings has very little impact on IQ or traditional methods for rating intelligence. The absolute nerdy weirdos that can count two hundred numbers of pi are definitely smarter than someone of average IQ that doesn't act like an incel at parties. 

56 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

nerdy weirdos that can count two hundred numbers of pi are definitely smarter than someone of average IQ

What’s smart about learning a mathematical ratio to a degree of accuracy that would only be used in interstellar astronomy, where you would rely on a computer to do the calculation anyway?

I can recite the alphabet backwards. It’s a useless skill and doesn’t make me smart. It just means I was really bored one Sunday morning when I was a child and decided to learn the alphabet backwards.

17 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

What’s smart about learning a mathematical ratio to a degree of accuracy that would only be used in interstellar astronomy, where you would rely on a computer to do the calculation anyway?

I can recite the alphabet backwards. It’s a useless skill and doesn’t make me smart. It just means I was really bored one Sunday morning when I was a child and decided to learn the alphabet backwards.

That's probably a bad example but I'd imagine those types are already better conditioned to taking in new information anyway. I meant more the human calculator type nerds that can actually apply their retained information in a fluid way rather than just memorising information. 

3 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

“There’s a tiger over there. They kill 1800 people per year. I won’t stick my head in its mouth.” 

“There’s a lion over there. I don’t know how many people they kill but, given it looks as dangerous as a tiger, I won’t stick my head in its mouth either.”

I’ve known plenty of knowledgeable people, some intelligent ones, but damn few wise ones.

Statistician - there are 7 billion people on the planet, only 1800 are killed by tigers. Think I'll go and say hullo and maybe stick my head in it's mouth, I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than something going wrong.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Statistician - there are 7 billion people on the planet, only 1800 are killed by tigers. Think I'll go and say hullo and maybe stick my head in it's mouth, I'm more likely to be struck by lightening than something going wrong.

That’s the kind of argument that could win you friends on the COVID thread.

4 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Epidemiologist: Nobody should go out ever as there might be lions and tigers in Scotland. We just don't know.

Yes, Covid thread for this pish.

21 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Epidemiologist: Nobody should go out ever as there might be lions and tigers in Scotland. We just don't know.

Yes, Covid thread for this pish.

That's literally the opposite of what epidemiologists do, but ok.

9 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Combining your two comments, I know Pi to ten decimal points because it was something I learnt at school and I doubt I will ever unlearn it.  Some people use a nmemonic such as "How I wish I could recollect Pi easily today".

(I wish I could always remember how to spell "nmemonic").

However I find 3.14 is usually close enough on most occasions.  Like you, I see little point knowing more decimals for Pi.

I can name the 50 states of America because I once made an effort to do this and again I am not likely to unlearn them.  Not much use unless you also know where they are, how big they are, rivers, cities and so on.

Occasionally I try to learn the elements of the periodic table.  Not so good.  Not much use unless you learn something about them.  For example in one part of the table the sequence is not toxic, very toxic, very very toxic, extremely toxic, not toxic, toxic, and toxic.  

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Combining your two comments, I know Pi to ten decimal points because it was something I learnt at school and I doubt I will ever unlearn it.  Some people use a nmemonic such as "How I wish I could recollect Pi easily today".

(I wish I could always remember how to spell "nmemonic").

However I find 3.14 is usually close enough on most occasions.  Like you, I see little point knowing more decimals for Pi.

I can name the 50 states of America because I once made an effort to do this and again I am not likely to unlearn them.  Not much use unless you also know where they are, how big they are, rivers, cities and so on.

Occasionally I try to learn the elements of the periodic table.  Not so good.  Not much use unless you learn something about them.  For example in one part of the table the sequence is not toxic, very toxic, very very toxic, extremely toxic, not toxic, toxic, and toxic.  

Agreed. Like my alphabet backwards, these are fun “party tricks” that might impress someone down the pub.

Part of the problem with our education system is that we spend so much time teaching children useless party tricks. 
It’s over 50 years since we switched to decimal currency and our children learn using metric measurements, yet we still insist on teaching them the 11 and 12 times tables. We teach them the formula for the volume of a cone but, unless they end up as avant garde architects or working in the Cornetto factory, it’s useless knowledge. I hated history at school as it seemed more about learning the dates that things happened, rather than what actually happened, and I still haven’t experienced a situation where I’ve had to differentiate between a terminal and medial moraine.
We spend so much time filling children up with knowledge, a lot of it either pointless or that could be acquired in the appropriate job, and testing them on their ability to retain and regurgitate that knowledge, yet so little on how to apply useful knowledge in the real world.

Edited by Funky Nosejob