The Genius (South Korean)

charger29

Anyone ever watched this South Korean reality TV game show?
I watched it a few years ago and loved it. I've decided to go back and watch it for a 2nd time since I've forgotten most of the individual episodes. Started from the 2nd season for some reason this time.

13 contestants, a mix of semi-famous/ geeks/ politicians etc. compete against each other to win some money. They compete in a new main match every episode which involves contestants using intelligence, teamwork, social skills and often deceit to get enough points to survive elimination. The contestant who loses the main match goes to 'The Deathmatch' where they play against another contestant of their choice in different strategy games to decide who leaves.

I've probably made it sound shite but some of the characters are brilliant and it's well worth a watch. There's four seasons. The last of which brings back the best players and characters from the first three.

I won't link to it but if you go to the Reddit page you'll find where to watch it with English subtitles. It might be worth lowering the playback speed by 5% as Koreans seem to talk really fucking fast. Most of the first season is on youtube but the first few episodes are missing.

Edited by charger29

No clue. There's a lot of reality TV shows in Korea that fits the description.

I think it was quite well known 5+ years ago in Korea when it was on TV.
I'm not sure why the format wasn't tested in other countries given it seemed to become a bit of a cult hit for a few years after it finished.

• 2 weeks later...
Heard really good things but never got around to it.
Saw this video on it and it piqued my interest tbf.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that except the flash forwards. They just spoil what's about to come. I just look away and skip forward 15 seconds.
The only major thing the guy didn't mention is the length of the episodes. They're all around 75+mins long, so 13 of them in a season takes a fair amount of time to get through.
It's a shame that it's difficult to find online. It'd do really well on something like Netflix.

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

I'd agree with pretty much all of that except the flash forwards. They just spoil what's about to come. I just look away and skip forward 15 seconds.
The only major thing the guy didn't mention is the length of the episodes. They're all around 75+mins long, so 13 of them in a season takes a fair amount of time to get through.
It's a shame that it's difficult to find online. It'd do really well on something like Netflix.

I think it might be to do with music rights weirdly. I believe there is no issue with the oceans 11 music being used in Korea. I can imagine they would have to change that if they showed it in other countries, which would be a shame because it sounds like it adds a tidy wee dimension to the show.

I won't be surprised if a network or streaming service picks up the show and does it their own thing with it. A lot of potential (and I will get around to watching it properly).

On 14/07/2021 at 19:06, charger29 said:

I think it was quite well known 5+ years ago in Korea when it was on TV.
I'm not sure why the format wasn't tested in other countries given it seemed to become a bit of a cult hit for a few years after it finished.

Because its not raunchy enough for Europeans and Americans.