Groundhopping

Apologies, I wasn't sure where else to put this.

I plan to groundhop round all 280 sides in the Scottish Pyramid (not including B & reserve sides). I want to see each team play at home. The next few years should be fun!

I'm looking to speak to like minded people, people from specific clubs and anyone that can give advice - or even wants to come along when they can.

This isn't league specific, so didn't want to put the thread in there - nor is it the 'official' groundhopping trip that happens each year. It's simply my own journey and I'd love to hear from you.

I have a few pencilled in already, come say hi!

There's a guy on Fitbanorth who would be right up your street. Start a thread and he'll be like a moth to a flame. Good man, although he'll consider you a light weight if you're only going for pyramid sides.

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's a guy on Fitbanorth who would be right up your street. Start a thread and he'll be like a moth to a flame. Good man, although he'll consider you a light weight if you're only going for pyramid sides.

Thanks. I've put a post in there already as I've a couple highland trips planned. Don't think I've come across yer man yet though.

If 280 is too low a number I definitely need to talk to this guy! I'm covering North Caley and North Division 1/2 although I know that's mostly Aberdeenshire sides at the moment. I've also calculated it to be 43312 round trip miles for me to complete the whole thing.

That's a long term goal for me too I suppose. Although of course the actual number of grounds on your list will change each year, even if you restrict it to the Pyramid! Be great to hear how you get on.

If you haven't done so already, the Futbology app is good for keeping track of where you've been (it tells me I've been to 123 grounds in Scotland so far, including quite a few which no longer exist).

Cheers guys! 

I’ve probably done around 30-40 but I’m starting from scratch for the purpose of this. 

I’ve got spreadsheets to track everything but I’ll get on this app too! 

it’s handy the juniors being in the pyramid now too, I know some aren’t too keen on being there but I’m a fan. 

Good luck and you'll enjoy every minute, I try to see a few things apart from the 90 minutes when I travel. Probably not going down to the basic roped off pitch standard myself, but you have a few good years ahead ! Am looking forward to seeing many ground improvements since my last visits. 

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Good luck and you'll enjoy every minute, I try to see a few things apart from the 90 minutes when I travel. Probably not going down to the basic roped off pitch standard myself, but you have a few good years ahead ! Am looking forward to seeing many ground improvements since my last visits. 

Thanks Andy!

Maybe I’ll bump into you on my travels. 

17 hours ago, GroundhopScot said:

I plan to groundhop round all 280 sides in the Scottish Pyramid (not including B & reserve sides). I want to see each team play at home. The next few years should be fun!

I'm looking to speak to like minded people, people from specific clubs and anyone that can give advice - or even wants to come along when they can.

This isn't league specific, so didn't want to put the thread in there - nor is it the 'official' groundhopping trip that happens each year. It's simply my own journey and I'd love to hear from you.

Welcome to the "club". I've only been groundhopping a couple of years, but totally enjoying it until covid reared its ugly head. Can't wait for this season to start and get going again. I'll be adding the Wosl,Midland,North Division,NCL and Highland to my travels this year.

10 minutes ago, B75 said:

Welcome to the "club". I've only been groundhopping a couple of years, but totally enjoying it until covid reared its ugly head. Can't wait for this season to start and get going again. I'll be adding the Wosl,Midland,North Division,NCL and Highland to my travels this year.

With all the restrictions finally looking like coming to an end it seems like a good time to start. 

I’m going to try and get round at least 1 game in every league this season but my only real ‘rule’ is to see every team play a home game.

apart from that it’s a blank canvas. I’ve had a few clubs wish me well on Twitter so I’ll try and make them a priority 

19 hours ago, GroundhopScot said:

First of all, how many have you already been to? I generally think it's better not to start out with the aim of completing a list of whatever (Munros, football grounds, islands, trains...) until you've already done a few. The point is to enjoy it, not to complete a pretty arbitrary list.

I had started to think I might do all the senior grounds, but when the North Juniors came in I don't really have that intention any more - too many grounds that are too far away, in places I've mostly been before and that don't have a huge appeal. Each to their own, of course. I'm not far off having been to every ground in tiers 1-5 and tier 6 south of the Tay, so I might change my mind in future.

My advice would be...

Follow your teams. Any time the team or teams you like are playing somewhere you've not been, go there. It's always better when you're more invested in the game.

Don't get caught up in pointless groundhopper trivia. You don't need a programme, you don't need to have walked round the ground, you don't need to see the entire game. Some folk get seriously anal about this stuff. Just do what you enjoy.

Do other things while in the area. So i've done things like climbed Bennachie before watching Inverurie Locos, seen the Bullers of Buchan and Peterhead Prison Museum (scary place) on the way to Peterhead, visited the Leadhills mining museum on the way to Upper Nithsdale, that kind of thing. Doing this kind of list is a great excuse to see parts of the country you might never otherwise have visited so I usually see other stuff while I'm there.

Use public transport, and a bike where possible. Apart from the carbon footprint of driving all over the country, IMO you see more from public transport and you're more likely to talk to people. You get a better feel for what the areas is like. For grounds that aren't near train stations a bike can be good to get from the station to the ground. I've taken my bike into a few grounds, the folk on the gate are always really welcoming. Sometimes I do a longer cycle on the way back - so I've cycled from Musselburgh to Edinburgh, Johnstone to Glasgow, that kind of thing.

Taking a short holiday somewhere during peak pre-season in July is a great way to see a few grounds on consecutive days and to get a nice break. This is especially true in Aberdeenshire & Moray. This summer has been tricky because of Covid but it'll go back to normal. If you leave stuff in that area until next summer you'll get a good range.

Look out for chances to double up grounds that don't have floodlights with those that do during the winter. You can often find a 1pm kick off somewhere with a 3pm kick off very nearby. Same can be true for evening games. Another chance to double up is lunchtime kick-offs for TV - I was lucky enough to see Inverness Caley Thistle v Celtic and then Ross County v Albion Rovers, both Scottish Cup ties - but obviously those don't happen at many grounds.

This one might put some backs up but... unless you're talking to another groundhopper, nobody gives a shit how many grounds you've been to, or what the tea is like at Maud, or what size the corner flags are at St Cuthbert's, or how big Ashington's ground is. Some of the most tedious conversations I've ever had were with groundhoppers. They're usually stuck on broadcast mode. (I appreciate other people probably say the same about me). It's always good if you can talk a wee bit with local fans but just don't be that guy.

And please share your tales on the Random Matches You're Going To thread on here. We'll be interested in your stories and your pictures.

Wow that's a lot of good advice thanks for taking the time.

I've probably been to around 30-40, but I want to start from scratch as some were some time ago and I didn't appreciate the towns and clubs like I do now.

I totally get the thing about strange groundhopping rules. The only real 'rule' I've set for myself is to see each team play a game at home. It's more a club hop than a groundhop as there's a few groundshares in there too (e.g. Cumbernauld Colts & Clyde = 2 visits to Broadwood).
I also want to learn a bit about the clubs too. My first game will be St. Anthony's this weekend and I've found out already. That sort of thing is important to me too.

I've no real plan apart from that. If I've got a free day I'll try and get down to a game and that's about the size of it.

Totally agree about doing other things whilst I'm in different places - Especially the Aberdeenshire/Highland towns as I've very little experience up there. 

I'll definitely document the games in the thread. I've really enjoyed reading about other's experiences so far.

Talking to and meeting people is part of the experience, and it's maybe something I haven't been great at in the past so there's a lot of personal challenges in there too on top of the football. 

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Use public transport, and a bike where possible. Apart from the carbon footprint of driving all over the country, IMO you see more from public transport and you're more likely to talk to people. You get a better feel for what the areas is like. For grounds that aren't near train stations a bike can be good to get from the station to the ground. I've taken my bike into a few grounds, the folk on the gate are always really welcoming. Sometimes I do a longer cycle on the way back - so I've cycled from Musselburgh to Edinburgh, Johnstone to Glasgow, that kind of thing.

If someone is doing the groundhop in October a train + bike combo would be a good idea, especially for getting between the four Midlothian venues which are 15-20 minutes apart at most.

The groundhop in March is mostly in Fife so a bike could also work there, but the order of the games doesn't really lend itself to easily cycling between each one (Glenrothes-Crossgates-Dundonald-HOB)

19 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

If someone is doing the groundhop in October a train + bike combo would be a good idea, especially for getting between the four Midlothian venues which are 15-20 minutes apart at most.

The groundhop in March is mostly in Fife so a bike could also work there, but the order of the games doesn't really lend itself to easily cycling between each one (Glenrothes-Crossgates-Dundonald-HOB)

The last three of the Fife grounds could be done by bike, starting from Dunfermline Queen Margaret and finishing there or Cowdenbeath. I wouldn't cycle a single yard on a Fife country road after dark though.

1 hour ago, GroundhopScot said:

Wow that's a lot of good advice thanks for taking the time.

I've probably been to around 30-40, but I want to start from scratch as some were some time ago and I didn't appreciate the towns and clubs like I do now.

I totally get the thing about strange groundhopping rules. The only real 'rule' I've set for myself is to see each team play a game at home. It's more a club hop than a groundhop as there's a few groundshares in there too (e.g. Cumbernauld Colts & Clyde = 2 visits to Broadwood).
I also want to learn a bit about the clubs too. My first game will be St. Anthony's this weekend and I've found out already. That sort of thing is important to me too.

I've no real plan apart from that. If I've got a free day I'll try and get down to a game and that's about the size of it.

Totally agree about doing other things whilst I'm in different places - Especially the Aberdeenshire/Highland towns as I've very little experience up there. 

I'll definitely document the games in the thread. I've really enjoyed reading about other's experiences so far.

Talking to and meeting people is part of the experience, and it's maybe something I haven't been great at in the past so there's a lot of personal challenges in there too on top of the football. 

Great stuff, best of luck.

I've seen a lot of matches at grounds without ever seeing the home club play. Aberdeen, Dumbarton, St Mirren Park, Almondvale, Forthbank (seen Stirling Uni and Hibs Reserves but not Stirling Albion), Renfrew, Ainslie Park, probably some more. I had been to the Falkirk Stadium at least 10 times before seeing Falkirk there, for East Stirling, Scotland women, Scotland U21s and reserve football. As you say, you set your own 'rules' and that's what matters. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

The last three of the Fife grounds could be done by bike, starting from Dunfermline Queen Margaret and finishing there or Cowdenbeath. I wouldn't cycle a single yard on a Fife country road after dark though.

If they were in a different order yeah, though Lochgelly to Cardenden is out of the question for cycling, needs some doubling back on the train instead. Glenrothes to Crossgates doesn't work for train+bike unless you miss 15-20 minutes from one of the games.

The Sunday game is Oakley which is basically a nice ride along an old railway line from Dunfermline. We'll just ignore Caley Braves on the Friday.

1 hour ago, GroundhopScot said:

I wasn't really aware of any 'official' groundhop until very recently I'll definitely check it out. 

I know Fife well and I agree re cycling on country roads after dark. If a motor doesn't hit you a pothole certainly will.

There's still a page for the postponed 2020 one to give you an idea of what was planned:  https://groundhopuk.wordpress.com/scottish-hop-2/

The dates for this season's two groundhops can be found in the EOS fixtures and LL fixtures. Have a search in the forums for groundhop and you'll find a few threads from previous years.