Recommendations needed

Hi everyone!

Going to be based in Forfar on a little holiday with my 3 kids from 21st to about 27th.

Wondering what clubs are within an hour or so of Forfar (non league) - particularly those with nice grounds?

I've done a bit of research, but thought I'd ask some people who are "in the know"!

Thanks in advance...

43 minutes ago, barnseytheclaret said:

Going to be based in Forfar on a little holiday with my 3 kids from 21st to about 27th.

Wondering what clubs are within an hour or so of Forfar (non league) - particularly those with nice grounds?

You can find photos and essential info on all non-league grounds here:

http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/

If you're based in Forfar then you're in Midland League territory... If happy to travel for 30-45mins you would also be well within reach of Luncarty just north of Perth; of Jeanfield and Kinnoull in Perth itself; of St Andrews in north-east Fife; and Newburgh on the south bank of the Tay.

Their home fixtures during period in question are:

Wednesday 21st July (7:30pm)
Luncarty v Lochgelly Albert

Saturday 24th July (2:30pm)
St Andrews United v Craigroyston
Luncarty v Lochore Welfare

Tuesday 27th July
none

Wednesday 28th July (7:30pm)
Jeanfield Swifts v Whitehill Welfare
Newburgh v Stirling University EOS

Those are all First Division except for Jeanfield v Whitehill which is title contender v relegation contender in Premier Division.

"Nice" is fairly subjective when it comes to grounds. All those at home are relatively similar. Luncarty and St Andrews have social clubs if open, but less cover IIRC.

You would be at the top end of your 1 hour envelope to reach more southerly Fife clubs taking A92 via Dundee or M90 via Perth.

EDIT: There is also 1 game on Friday 23rd being Bo'ness Athletic v Fauldhouse (7:30pm) a fairly big match in Conference X... about 90mins drive.

Edited by HibeeJibee

We (Broughty Athletic) have our second league game of the season away to Blairgowrie on Wed 21st July in the inaugural Midlands League, a new league at tier 6 in the Scottish pyramid.  20 miles drive from Forfar. Would take you about half an hour. Beautiful countryside.

5 hours ago, barnseytheclaret said:

Hi everyone!

I've done a bit of research, but thought I'd ask some people who are "in the know"!

Thanks in advance...

The East of Scotland League doesn't have clubs as far north as Forfar and Dundee - you're looking for the Midlands League which is also tier 6. Their fixtures are here: https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com/north-of-scotland-21-22/midland-league-21-22/ - Forfar United at home during your stay. Brechin City are the closest Highland League team, they are at home on the 24th.

Luncarty's ground is next to a railway arch so a bit distinctive.

Newburgh's East Shore Park is down near the banks of the Tay and is quite nice.

The kids might like a day out in St Andrews- a bit touristy but there's ice cream and beaches and a castle (if open) as well as the football.

I haven't been to Blairgowrie's ground but the town's quite picturesque.

Jeanfield's ground is quite new but Swifts usually play decent football. Not sure if Perth pool is open again as the kids could splash about and then go to the football

You would be more than welcome at St Andrews on the 24th. 

There is no finer ice cream than Janettas(if you don’t mind queueing), two excellent beaches, a castle and you can watch the golfers play the road hole or come up the 18th on the old course. 

Unfortunately there will also be a football game on. But if you come down please ask for myself or Saints 1921 and we would be happy to chat about the game with you.

Ps, are you a West Ham or Burnley supporter?

On 10/07/2021 at 00:07, tamthebam said:

Luncarty's ground is next to a railway arch so a bit distinctive.

Newburgh's East Shore Park is down near the banks of the Tay and is quite nice.

The kids might like a day out in St Andrews- a bit touristy but there's ice cream and beaches and a castle (if open) as well as the football.

I haven't been to Blairgowrie's ground but the town's quite picturesque.

Jeanfield's ground is quite new but Swifts usually play decent football. Not sure if Perth pool is open again as the kids could splash about and then go to the football

Thanks for the information: useful to know! I've still no idea what games we'll be going to and when: all very up in the air! (In normal times, it'd have been Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday!!!)

On 10/07/2021 at 11:56, patriot1 said:

You would be more than welcome at St Andrews on the 24th. 

There is no finer ice cream than Janettas(if you don’t mind queueing), two excellent beaches, a castle and you can watch the golfers play the road hole or come up the 18th on the old course. 

Unfortunately there will also be a football game on. But if you come down please ask for myself or Saints 1921 and we would be happy to chat about the game with you.

Ps, are you a West Ham or Burnley supporter?

Thanks for the information: is the ground easy enough to find.

Burnley fan, by the way - that's our actual nickname, rather than just the colour that we play in...no imagination, us lot, lol...

24 minutes ago, barnseytheclaret said:

Burnley fan, by the way - that's our actual nickname, rather than just the colour that we play in...no imagination, us lot, lol...

We’re the Saints so not much more imagination up here.

Our postcode for the sat nav is KY16 8BN. Alternatively if you are planning on coming DM me and I’ll give you detailed directions.

13 hours ago, barnseytheclaret said:

Hope you catch a couple of games  - very hospitable folk up here

ps I was in Joe Jakub's class in primary school! - couldnae get the ball aff him at playtimes - knew he was destined for great things!

53 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

Hope you catch a couple of games  - very hospitable folk up here

ps I was in Joe Jakub's class in primary school! - couldnae get the ball aff him at playtimes - knew he was destined for great things!

He had two spells with us and, despite his size, was a tenacious bugger! (Great 'tache, too...!)