Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Just Kane?

This.

For a big guy Kane goes down far too easily, as do Grealish, Sterling, Mount, Saka, etc, etc, etc. I don't get why at least one of them hasn't been booked for simulation.

I hope the referee on Sunday clamps down on it early,and lets the game flow.

England are a good side with a lot of quality (particularly on their bench) but if I went for a joint XI on the semi-final line-ups I'd have it 7-4 in Italy's favour (Kane, Sterling, and the full-backs from England).

England would mostly fill the bench though.

Immobile is pretty rubbish at this level. He's been anonymous in pretty much all their games. I don't share the optimism around the Italian attack v the English defence either. England have conceded only one goal, a screamer of a free-kick for reasons that go beyond luck. 

I sense a lot of wishful thinking here. Italy got pumped by a Spain side who, if they had a striker, would have won comfortably. Their result against Belgium was impressive I'll admit, and it should be a great game.

Chiellini and Bonucci won't enjoy being pressed and harried by Sterling et Al, but I can't wait to see big Georgio up against Kane. This will be sone game.

Been quite a few weeks for English football. An all English Champions League final and now England in their first ever European Championship final.
They’re starting to look worryingly dominant.
Think the Italians will burst their bubble, on penalties. They seem to have a bit of swagger about them and Mancini has them playing some good stuff.

Denmark managed Kane very well last night. Nothing they could really do about the penalty goal, but they nullified him well and didn't give him space. Italy need to do that as well and in theory both CBs are used to dealing with players that chuck themselves to the ground at any opportunity. The big trouble is stopping those bloody cutbacks that your annoying pal does all the time on Fifa.. 

Sterling is the problem. Stop him, you'll stop England. You wouldn't have thought it be said before the tournament , but the only team that did manage to stop him was Scotland. 

I don't share the confidence on Italy's strikers. Immobile and Insigne haven't impressed me at all this tournament and I can see them being bogged down and offering nothing when Southgate reverts to a back three. 

Edited by Michael W

Been quite a few weeks for English football. An all English Champions League final and now England in their first ever European Championship final.
They’re starting to look worryingly dominant.
Think the Italians will burst their bubble, on penalties. They seem to have a bit of swagger about them and Mancini has them playing some good stuff.
6 of the starting 22 in the CL were English players and they've done well in the Euro's but had a ridiculously easy road through. It took an OG and a shocking penalty decision for them to get past a knackered Denmark side.

To say they're starting to look dominant is a massive stretch.

1 hour ago, DMCs said:

In terms of full back and winger depth England have the advantage for sure. Who can Italy bring on? Toloi, Berardi and Bernandeschi? That's much less than one of Trippier and James or one of Grealish, Foden and Sancho.

I can't agree with what you are saying about Immobile and Kane either. Kane is far better. Immobile would never be able to play that throughball for Saka for the own goal for instance. Immobile isn't very popular with Azzurri fans for a reason but ultimately they don't have any better options.

Kane's simulation ability is also superior to Immobile.

34 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Denmark managed Kane very well last night. Nothing they could really do about the penalty goal, but they nullified him well and didn't give him space. Italy need to do that as well and in theory both CBs are used to dealing with players that chuck themselves to the ground at any opportunity. The big trouble is stopping those bloody cutbacks that your annoying pal does all the time on Fifa.. 

Except the bit where he dropped deep, carved open a huge amount of space and played the ball through for Saka?

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

6 of the starting 22 in the CL were English players and they've done well in the Euro's but had a ridiculously easy road through. It took an OG and a shocking penalty decision for them to get past a knackered Denmark side.

lol

Well they had a fairly tough group and Germany in the last 16. Not sure if that’s ridiculously easy…
To say they got lucky because the first goal was an OG is fairly nonsensical aswell. It was an OG caused by a nice bit of play and Sterling was going to tap it in if the defender didn’t get something on it. It wasn’t like the OG from the Spain Croatia game where there was no involvement from the attacking team.
Don’t think there’s been any argument from anywhere that they haven’t deserved to win all three knockout games, they haven’t even needed a penalty shoot out (unlike the Italians).
In saying that I think this will be a step too far for this England team and the Italians experience will come out on top.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, Orbix said:

lol

You'll have to explain your joke there I'm afraid.

That graph is stats geek for ‘England dominated the game massively’.  You seem to think they didn’t. 

Well they had a fairly tough group and Germany in the last 16. Not sure if that’s ridiculously easy…
To say they got lucky because the first goal was an OG is fairly nonsensical aswell. It was an OG caused by a nice bit of play and Sterling was going to tap it in if the defender didn’t get something on it. It wasn’t like the OG from the Spain Croatia game where there was no involvement from the attacking team.
Don’t think there’s been any argument from anywhere that they haven’t deserved to win all three knockout games, they haven’t even needed a penalty shoot out (unlike the Italians).
In saying that I think this will be a step too far for this England team and the Italians experience will come out on top.

Who said they got lucky? I've merely pointed out it was an OG and a penalty.

They have deserved to win the games they've won. It was even with Denmark for a good chunk last night but you could see they were shattered at FT and England were going to take the win - though it still took a laughable decision for them to get it.

It's the dominant part I take issue with. A massive stretch. I think if they were on the other side they wouldn't have got to the final tbh.

That graph is stats geek for ‘England dominated the game massively’.  You seem to think they didn’t. 
They had the same number of shots on target and off after 45 minutes and I'm sure it was 4-2 after 90 minutes. From about 75 minutes onwards it was all England. Before that it was fairly even. England had a lot of the ball without creating much tbh.

Delighted England have got to the final as this has been something I have wanted to witness my entire life. I was born three months after the 1966 Final.

Going to calm my nerves in the build up to the Final by doing something I really enjoy. Driving up to Scotland and watching some football. Doing Kelty Hearts v Dundee United tomorrow night and camping, then up to Aberdeen for Cove Rangers v Stirling Albion (Haway the Bino's). Stopping in a B&B then the 4 hour drive back home Sunday morning for the final.

Scanned through the thread and can I point out a couple of things?

1.  I am not a fat racist pig!! (I admit to the fat bit😀). Certain England fans who boo the knee etc and throw plastic chairs at tourists in foreign plaza's, do not represent me or indeed my country. They are very much in the minority. I suspect they are the sort of 'England' fans that the person mentioned in point 3 aspires to be.
  2. I wanted Scotland to do well in the tournament.
  3. The Rangers fan on here who changed his avatar to a George Cross is clearly a complete melt. It says he is a golden shoe winner, surely it should read Clown Shoe winner?
Edited by Roker Rover