Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

Think I'm more nervous about this than I was about the Croatia Scotland match. 

Can't find my Italy shirt so its a fake 2001 Parma home shirt for me. 

What a sad, bitter little Jock I am. 

50 minutes ago, Duszek said:

I’m in Italy, where it’s all very low-key so far. No football shirts, face paint or c***s jumping on buses. Then again, it’s their EIGHTH major final since 1966. Business as usual for these lads. Hoping for 1-0 Italy (Insigne 72’) with a 20-minute time wasting masterclass from Chiellini  & co to drive En-ger-land to tears.

30 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Same here. There are some flags hanging from balconies (mine included) but no queues outside bars etc. Hopefully the team are just as calm.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit sad?

Reinforces why I’m glad I support a diddy team. A goal probably feels as good as a win for the better teams. Not being absolutely buzzing to be in a tournament final is inconceivable to me.

52 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Anyway. I have a sense that sadly, the stars are all aligning in England's favour this year. 

The fact that they have an effective home tournament in a year of a pandemic, where others sides were shuffling all over Europe. The fact that other traditionally powerful countries are going through spells of being a bit rubbish....Germany, Portugal, The Netherlands, Croatia......or have lost in bizarre circumstances....France. The fact that England have had a pretty piss easy route to the final. The fact that they've had no injuries or suspensions. 

Of course, England have a very good side. But it can't be denied that fortune has turned their way throughout the tournament. 

For the first time in this tournament though, they're coming up against a side who may have their match. The best Italian team in over a decade that has had to beat both Belgium and Spain on route to the final. 

I still have the feeling though that momentum will carry England to the trophy....I'll go for 2-1 after ET sadly. 

Yes, I see it much the same way.

I've kind of resigned myself to England winning it, so it'll come as a nice surprise if they don't.

Italy have impressed during the tournament, but there have been times when they've looked ordinary.  They were the poorer team against Spain.  People also forget how close they came to elimination against Austria who had a fairly late goal in normal time disallowed, for a very tight offside.  Italy have looked good, but no more invincible than England have.

For all England have had a favourable route, to win the thing they'll have to have overcome Germany and Italy, so it will have been earned.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen for them, but I suspect it will.  I'll tune in, just in time for kick off and switch off on the final whistle if it goes England's way.

Off  to Yorkshire on holiday tomorrow though, so that might be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I see it much the same way.

I've kind of resigned myself to England winning it, so it'll come as a nice surprise if they don't.

Italy have impressed during the tournament, but there have been times when they've looked ordinary.  They were the poorer team against Spain.  People also forget how close they came to elimination against Austria who had a fairly late goal in normal time disallowed, for a very tight offside.  Italy have looked good, but no more invincible than England have.

For all England have had a favourable route, to win the thing they'll have to have overcome Germany and Italy, so it will have been earned.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen for them, but I suspect it will.  I'll tune in, just in time for kick off and switch off on the final whistle if it goes England's way.

Off  to Yorkshire on holiday tomorrow though, so that might be interesting.

Italy shall prevail.

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

Just shut myself away for the day now. Going to try and avoid it later, but will no doubt know the result by noise (or hopefully lack of). 

Hoping the Italians produce a shithousing display that we will talk about for years to come.

Screenshot_20210711-140719_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210711-142546_Instagram.jpg

Quoting this because it's magnificent.

56 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit sad?

Reinforces why I’m glad I support a diddy team. A goal probably feels as good as a win for the better teams. Not being absolutely buzzing to be in a tournament final is inconceivable to me.

I think it's just a different culture.

I used to live in Rome, and even we went out a lot, I've rarely ever seen my Italian friends more than a bit tipsy. Getting drunk like you do in England ( and we do in Denmark) is just not their thing, and isn't a lot of the frenzy in England fueled by alcohol ?    Not all of it of course, but it's just not the italien style to be running screaming through the streets or climb busses.  If they win though, I image the town piazzas will fill with people, and probably be a lot of people driving around with flags out the windows - that would be more their way of doing it i think.

7 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

I was doing alright with the nerves til I saw this. It's certainly not going to be an exciting game for any neutrals. 

Now that England are indeed playing with a  back 5, I suspect if Italy have someone following Sterling around all game, England won't offer much going forward. 

4 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Now that England are indeed playing with a  back 5, I suspect if Italy have someone following Sterling around all game, England won't offer much going forward. 

England will offer diving going forward 

6 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Yeah that's my fear, if we had Saka or Sancho in there I'd be less worried, I can't imagine the Italians will just forget about Sterling or not have a tactic for him so I'm really hoping this isn't the line up or we have something up our sleeves because if not that line up looks like, starve the game of oxygen then bring on creative subs if we've not conceded.