Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I wasn't supporting England in the final, for the same reason that as a Dee, I don't support Utd in any finals that they get to but in Mings, Kane and Rashford they've got some fine young men willing to stand up and call out bullshit when they see it. I wish some of our "leaders" would follow suit. Respect where it is due.

Do you also concede that there are some fine young men who play for Dundee Utd?

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Because we were in the Euros, a Scotsman created it and this is a Scottish football forum.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I assume there's a Scotland and Germany flag because those are two of the teams England played at the Euros.

Desperation, should be a Dennark or Ukraine flag if it were to actually make sense. That makes it seem like you guys weren't practically knocked out within the first 90 minutes and arguably the worst team at the tournament. 

Edited by SANTAN

1 minute ago, SANTAN said:

Desperation, should be a Dennark or Ukraine flag if it were to actually make sense. That makes it seem like you guys weren't practically knocked out within the first 90 minutes and arguably the worst team at the tournament. 

Who are Dennark? Is that another team as well as Scotland you failed to score against?

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

Do you also concede that there are some fine young men who play for Dundee Utd?

I don't doubt there are, but the contents of their twitter feeds haven't made the national press lately. 

Just now, Jimi Shandrix said:

I don't doubt there are, but the contents of their twitter feeds haven't made the national press lately. 

Correct, I wasn't getting at you pal. It just seems that people need reminding that it's ok to want your rivals to lose every game, no matter what they are like as individuals.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

Correct, I wasn't getting at you pal. It just seems that people need reminding that it's ok to want your rivals to lose every game, no matter what they are like as individuals.

When I was 28, I was probably that person but I'm 48 now. There are just a lot more things that are vastly more important than whether my local rivals lose a game of football now.

34 minutes ago, 101 said:

Ignore racism is an interesting but not a surprising take for such a brain donor.

Ooft...that is some statement.  I can kind of see what he's trying to get at, but that's giving him a pretty massive slice of benefit of the doubt. What does he want?  A week of coverage of the news saying "aren't wur brave boys brilliant?"  How long does he want them to talk about that?  Instead of, you know, the problem that goes beyond football and continues to be an issue not just in the sport but in the wider world?

Although to be fair, he has managed to say "not real fans" without actually saying that, so...well done I guess

Just now, Jimi Shandrix said:

When I was 28, I was probably that person but I'm 48 now. There are just a lot more things that are vastly more important than whether my local rivals lose a game of football now.

Have to admit that I'm 50 but I would want England to lose supposing they had 11 Marcus Rashfords on the pitch, despite my admiration for him as a man. This was ably demonstrated by my roar when he quick-stepped his way to a penalty miss.

Why the f**k is there a Scotland flag there? [emoji23]
If you've seen the clip, the blonde lass with the Scotland flag over her face is doing her best to not laugh at the bitter guys rant. Pretty accurate imo other than the fact none of us are hiding the fact that we're laughing at the state of the Engerlish right now.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Heard plenty of the "real fan" stuff when George Square was turned into a battleground too

Indeed. The deflection is far from being a trait unique to England. It's a comfort blanket to avoid associated guilt. Unfortunately, these problems follow the England team for whatever reason and therefore it's an issue that needs attention. 

I've no issue with people behaving in such a way being told they're not welcome, because it's quite right that it's made clear this behaviour will not be tolerated.  Doesn't mean that the message will sink in amongst those inclined, but ostracising these people is a start. 

Creating disorder and also attempting to gain entry without tickets are unfortunately things that have happened in English football (whether country or club) at various points in recent history, especially where international tournaments are concerned. I fully accept it is a lot harder to deter the troublemakers when the games are being played in England, but I don't think the protocols in place fully addressed the possible risks. Something all too apparent when it all kicked off. This is a physical problem and whilst I do not like the way football fans are treated by politicians, incidents like these unfortunately make it hard to defend us as a group. Stating that "Ah but it's only x group of fans doing this" is correct, but the authorities have no time for nuance and also don't want to treat people differently. As a result, we all get punished. Scotland is no different here either: alcohol prohibition at games, the OBAF prior to repeal, both as a result of a particular fixture and the trouble it brings. 

This post deals with the thuggery rather than racism, which needs a different approach. That's a societal problem and whilst it's being brought into the game when black players make a mistake, it's impact is  a lot wider than the game. It also seems a predominately online issue, which is a bigger problem to try and resolve. It's too easy to do it if you're so inclined.