Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

Since the peak days of English hooliganism I've been listening to a narrative from the media that young guys+bevvy must inevitably =trouble.
I just don't buy that.
I've been on too may drink soaked Tartan Army trips, where drink is the number one theme, and you see guys who are absolutely blootered for the whole duration, but without the slightest sniff of trouble. Over and over again.
You need dickheads to be part of that equation too.
It's young guys+bevvy+being racist twats that is the problem.

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Apparently he's a Polymath and is highly intelligent.

Just got a bachelors degree and masters degree whilst playing 40-odd games per season for Juve and half a dozen to a dozen games for Italy, no big deal.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Just got a bachelors degree and masters degree whilst playing 40-odd games per season for Juve and half a dozen to a dozen games for Italy, no big deal.

He's sum boey.

58 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, the 'It's Coming Home' stuff works against them and they don't seem to realise it.  On the subject, why did it only start back up at the 2018 WC?  Was it after the won their QF?

Absolutely. I find it bizarre when people don't realise their arrogant shithousing is only giving their opponents added motivation. Maybe to a lesser extent but when I saw Pogba doing about three different pre-rehearsed celebrations after scoring France's third against Switzerland, I was fucking raging at it. Can only imagine what the Swiss players were thinking. That was a point in the game where the 3rd should have been a killer blow to the Swiss. Instead, his absolute shitbaggery probably gave them the motivation they needed at the exact moment they needed it.

I reckon it's just the timing. 22 year on, folk who were kids in 96 are now adults and it's long enough in the past to have become nostalgic. Have to admit, they might have the worst national anthem in football but It's Coming Home is possibly the best football song ever written. 

Edited by Gordon EF

31 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There is, for sure, a cultural problem with alcohol. 

But taking that away, their is a loutish element behind it that I really don't understand. Many of us have drank far too much and haven't been chucking chairs out or throwing bottles (yes, fucking bottles) at fellow spectators as "banter".  Or indeed rioting to get into venues without tickets. There must be some sort of weird entitlement or something that this all sits behind, but I'm baffled as to what it may or may not be. 

I did wonder.  Say by some miracle we were in that position last night, and Hampden was the venue for the final.  Now a fair proportion of our fans would be absolutely fucking blootered by the time kick-off came around (something I've never understood, but I digress), but do we think outside of the odd bit of trouble, there would be anything like the sort of scenes we saw yesterday?  I don't really travel with Scotland, so the most comparable one I can think of in my fairly short career following them was the Ireland game at Parkhead that felt like it had needle.  Never came close to a bunch of Scotland fans trying to kick f**k out of each other though.

1 hour ago, SANTAN said:

Well done your 8th team won 

You wish you were my 8th team :lol:

My team did pretty well this year.  

Last night's events didn't even touch the sides in comparison. 

10 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

The majority of players in their backline do it in the prem and Europe week in, week out. They don't have a Chiellini but who else does?

France and Italy both came to play, Spain and Belgium too and I reckon all four of those sides would have done England. Maybe not France as they were a bit of a mess this time but hey ho.

If they want to win anything they are going to have to try and up it. Maybe Henderson was a bigger miss than was apparent.

The players in their backline have been criticised for years. This was the first year that Shaw has looked a player since he signed for Man Utd. Stones was awful until this season. 

They went back five for a reason. Tactically it worked wonders but if they opened up they'd be carved apart as the two lads in the middle aren't capable at this level. You saw how often they lost the ball when pressed last night.

Italy couldn't live for England for spells where they went long to Kane's feet. England knackered themselves running from side to side defending when they gave up the ball and then having to run 80 yards there and back whenever they had a chance to counter.

23 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

The thing that mystifies me, particularly given the players at their disposal, is that England do not even try to play this way. They are happy to let their opponents have the ball and there is no press to speak of. 

They have some of the best young attacking talent on the planet (reputedly), many of whom are thriving in clubs playing high press and dominating the ball, yet they come out to grind like mid 2000s Scotland.

Spurs also do this which makes me wonder about Kane's influence.

England's style is dictated by Southgate. His managerial experience is pretty limited - 3 years with Middlesborough and 4 years with theU21s before succeeding Big Sam.

Southgate was sacked by Middlesbrough after relegating them in 2009. He was then out of the game for four years until he got the England U21 job. 

England have a huge pool of attacking talent but their style is boring due to Southgate's negative tactics and formations.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Absolutely. I find it bizarre when people don't realise their arrogant shithousing is only giving their opponents added motivation. Maybe to a lesser extent but when I saw Pogba doing about three different pre-rehearsed celebrations after scoring France's third against Switzerland, I was fucking raging at it. Can only imagine what the Swiss players were thinking. That was a point in the game where the 3rd should have been a killer blow to the Swiss. Instead, his absolute shitbaggery probably gave them the motivation they needed at the exact moment they needed it.

I reckon it's just the timing. 22 year on, folk who were kids in 96 are now adults and it's long enough in the past to have become nostalgic. Have to admit, they might have the worst national anthem in football but It's Coming Home is possibly the best football song ever written. 

Get Out, Cary Grant Blank Template - Imgflip

(Although, it could be argued that we're talking a phenomenally low bar here. It's cerftainly not one of Broudie's better songs.)

something else nagging at me now that it's going Rome - was there not a bit of patronising "huh look at these clubs some of these Italian players are at, this guy plays for a team that finished *11th* in Serie A last season" shite from the commentators through the tournament or am I imagining it? I can't remember anything quite on the level of Lawrenson hilariously asking "how many of these Germany players would get into the England team? One? Maybe two at a push if you include the keeper Neuer?" at the South Africa WC (doubly hilarious when you think of Ozil roasting Gareth fucking Barry for pace to score on the break, haha what a story Mark), but I'm sure I heard occasional snidery over players being at, say, Sassuolo rather than The Best League In The Whole Wide World.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

You wish you were my 8th team :lol:

My team did pretty well this year.  

Last night's events didn't even touch the sides in comparison. 

Okay well try and enjoy that rather than weirdly posting about me at 5am... 

13 hours ago, SoloXI said:

ffs .. trust me, only moonhowlers are talking about Scotland tonight. Why would England care about how well the Scotland team is doing more than, say, Celtic care about how Falkirk are doing. Yeah, they are close by but .. ffs.. get real .. 

See the source image

Edited by Jacksgranda

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:
The Pickford thing for 6th could be legitimate as there was something in the Athletic earlier in the tournament where one of the England players was saying he was one of the best at taking them in training.

Goalkeepers are almost always the best striker of a dead ball in a squad of players.