Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

Just now, Meeniedee said:

was worried that the ref would get conned by dives from both teams last night but he was outstanding...wish more refs would ignore the divers and cheats and just get on with the game....lost count how many times kane went down with minimal or no contact and the ref just ignored it...and the sterling dive in the box was a great bit off refereeing.

I thought he was poor in the first half and mentioned it on here at half time. He was brilliant from the second half onwards.

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
23 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:
I'm genuinely struggling to work out whether this is an example of dry wit, or one of the best cases of stupidity in the history of P&B.

It's Stormzy so it's stupidity.

Oh man, coming from yourself this is tragic on a number of levels. 

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

That was my initial impression, but watching him trying to claim personal victory over a St Johnstone fan (who's team just won the cup double) with 'Rangers won the league and England got to a final' just seems too far fetched.

Claiming personal victory lmao, listen to yourself. 

Getting to a WC semi and now a Euros final are achievements for this England side, even with the favourable draws and home advantage etc.

They could win something, its not always the best teams that win tournaments, but they surely can't watch the technical brilliance in that Spain v Italy semi final and think "we're on a par with that". Same with Modric inspired Croatia in 2018.  The ability to keep the ball in tight areas and not surrender possession cheaply is hugely important. If England had that they could shut a game down and stop their opponents from getting on the ball and working their way back in.  

They are a long way from that level,you could even argue our midfield is closer to it than theirs the way Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn controlled the game at Wembley, (though obviously we need a massive improvement at either end of the park).

I suspect I know the answer, but in the cases where a host made it to the final of the tournament, has there ever been trouble, let alone the stuff we saw last night?

Maybe it's just because of where we are, but it never really felt like the showpiece final of a major tournament. You expect groups of fans congregating, bit corporate, carnival atmosphere.  Instead we got...whatever that was.  Even though they're complicit, I'd imagine UEFA are fucking raging this morning.

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The "Coming Home" hype around England looks like a noose around their neck now. It's ramped up the pressure on the players, driven the fans insane like the "The Ten" did up here and seems to really piss off Euro fans and teams to the extent that a Scottish/Irish attitude to them getting beat seems quite widespread. 

Bonnuci and Schmeichel were both clearly pissed off by it and the idea that England winning is somehow more important and meaningful than anyone else is only going to motivate all of your opponents making winning more difficult.

Yep, the 'It's Coming Home' stuff works against them and they don't seem to realise it.  On the subject, why did it only start back up at the 2018 WC?  Was it after the won their QF?

49 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Is Grealiah not Villa's regular penalty taker?

If so he surely should have taken one

Nope. I don't think he has hit one in a meaningful game.

According to Transfermarkt he ha taken one in a reserve game. Although they don't seem to track shoot out penalties so it is not exhaustive.

12 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Chiellini is a God of a player. 

Not just a world class defender and an all-round nice bloke by all accounts (and someone who has a BA in Economics and a Masters in Business administration), but he has the ability to instantly take your mind back to younger days.....the Italian team of the early 80's for instance, where each and every one of their defenders would murder you, your family, and everyone your family has ever spoken to, just to win a throw in. 

The phrase 'throwback to an earlier time' can be overused, but Chiellini is its living embodiment.  The summer of 1982 and the world cup in Spain kept on floating into my head every time I saw him last night...happy days. 

Apparently he's a Polymath and is highly intelligent.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm pretty certain the decision was based on their training. They clearly practiced a lot of penalties and the management team have decided to keep a track and play the percentages.

That maked sense - but it leaves them open to huge criticism. They've decided to ignore the pressure element, and that's just not natural.

I'd be taking all the information into the mix and coming to some sort of a balanced decision. Bringing lads on just to hit a penalty is a big, big call - and unlucky for him it just didn't work last night (although I've seen it work before).

😂

They clearly fucking didn't take any learning points on board, then.

21 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The amount of folk blaming the kick off time. Unreal.

Agreed. The kick off time is never the issue, fan behaviour is. And it seems that only certain fans have an issue with this (and in Scotland this sadly applies too). 

I travelled through London yesterday and at 1pm there were a few people already more than worse for the wear. Nothing malicious at that point but you could sense where it was going. On the tube I was on (Central Line) they all got off at Holborn,almost certainly headed for Leicester Square via the Picadilly. We shall say no more. 

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Apparently he's a Polymath and is highly intelligent.

Also Common Goal initiative where players donate 1% of earnings got a call from him one day saying why have you not contacted me? Take My money. Seems like sum boi!

As an English chap, Italy were the better team and deserved it. 

The amount of racist crap that has come out due to Rashford and Saka missing their pens is disgusting. 

Still, club > country.

Thank you.

Edited by Girth

Just now, Michael W said:

Agreed. The kick off time is never the issue, fan behaviour is. And it seems that only certain fans have an issue with this (and in Scotland this sadly applies too). 

I travelled through London yesterday and at 1pm there were a few people already more than worse for the wear. Nothing malicious at that point but you could sense where it was going. On the tube I was on (Central Line) they all got off at Holborn,almost certainly headed for Leicester Square via the Picadilly. We shall say no more. 

There is of course a major issue with alcohol and the behaviour while a high percentage are under the influence on this island.

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, the 'It's Coming Home' stuff works against them and they don't seem to realise it.  On the subject, why did it only start back up at the 2018 WC?  Was it after the won their QF?

2018 was the best team they had for over a decade plus during a heatwave and I think it started off as banter and has grown into a mythical challenge. 

29 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Getting to a WC semi and now a Euros final are achievements for this England side, even with the favourable draws and home advantage etc.

They could win something, its not always the best teams that win tournaments, but they surely can't watch the technical brilliance in that Spain v Italy semi final and think "we're on a par with that". Same with Modric inspired Croatia in 2018.  The ability to keep the ball in tight areas and not surrender possession cheaply is hugely important. If England had that they could shut a game down and stop their opponents from getting on the ball and working their way back in.  

They are a long way from that level,you could even argue our midfield is closer to it than theirs the way Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn controlled the game at Wembley, (though obviously we need a massive improvement at either end of the park).

The thing that mystifies me, particularly given the players at their disposal, is that England do not even try to play this way. They are happy to let their opponents have the ball and there is no press to speak of. 

They have some of the best young attacking talent on the planet (reputedly), many of whom are thriving in clubs playing high press and dominating the ball, yet they come out to grind like mid 2000s Scotland.

Spurs also do this which makes me wonder about Kane's influence.

Edited by The Algebraist