Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I would not describe Pickford as a quality player.

I would add an arrogant, self-obsessed, under-achieving manager who has won nothing.

A description that also applies to every single ex-player who we, see tournament after tournament, explaining where Hoddle/Erikson(sp)/Southgate/Taylor are going wrong. How many major tournament wins you got, then, Gary? Rio? Alan? Ian? Jermaine? Lee? Are you there, Lee? Here, use this tissue to mop up..

39 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Absolutely loved Chiellini's performance last night and throughout the tournament. Proper captain, proper defender, some boy.

The tug on Saka was fantastic. That's what I want from a defender. Just being a cynical, mean b*****d when you need to be. No effort to con anyone. He's just saying, this boy's away from me, I'm taking the yellow card and the free kick to stop him. Class. Also that tackle he put in on Sterling (I think) near the end when there was a bit of a scramble in the box. Top class defending. He's cemented his place in the top tier of modern European defenders in this tournament.

He also ended up playing inside-left for a solid five minutes prior to the Italian equaliser.

Highlights how completely uninterested England were in playing any actual football as soon as they went one up.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

I thought he was a couple of years younger, but then keepers can continue on until their late 30s. He's far from being shite though, he's had some impressive saves throughout the tournament. Not that I'm a fan, you understand, I just think we need to accept that while the English consider themselves to be the best in the world, and it's clear they aren't, but that team on paper is very solid.

Just a shame they have to play on grass, then..

Coat, got.

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

"You made my son cry you fucking c***s," exclaimed William, incandescent with rage.

"Despite dressing Prince George as a second world War spiv, it is believed that William's rage began when the young Prince failed to offload stockings and American cigarettes to other dignitaries within the Royal box."

Chiesa, man PowttJS.png&key=9ef67ea1365a0ca90378b2938023fd7f6ab680e941ac9b3c4d055593e66f8b48
Looks like a man that could be in any Italian shirt from the 1950s onwards and not look out of place. 
A real thrill to see him pick up the ball and run at defenders. One of the most exciting players to watch at the tournament.

Love to watch a player like that who looks like the ball is magnetically attracted to his feet. Loads of times I was convinced he’d lost the ball and it just kept following him.

The "Coming Home" hype around England looks like a noose around their neck now. It's ramped up the pressure on the players, driven the fans insane like the "The Ten" did up here and seems to really piss off Euro fans and teams to the extent that a Scottish/Irish attitude to them getting beat seems quite widespread. 

Bonnuci and Schmeichel were both clearly pissed off by it and the idea that England winning is somehow more important and meaningful than anyone else is only going to motivate all of your opponents making winning more difficult.

Lee Dixon fell silent as soon as Donnarumma saved the final penalty and never uttered a single word thereafter.

Genuinely think he stormed out the studio in a huff as Matterface had to gonsolo for a good 10 minutes.

3 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Joyous.

Didn't mean to but ended up watching it right through.  Quite enjoyed the roller coaster of emotions, 3 lads supporting their team you almost feel for them. A world away from the smug entitlement of the presenters, commentators and pundits we have to suffer.  The lad dressed as Freddie Mercury slapping the wee one in the pus after Italy miss their fifth penalty in a drunken outburst of emotion was superb.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Chiellini is a God of a player. 

Not just a world class defender and an all-round nice bloke by all accounts (and someone who has a BA in Economics and a Masters in Business administration), but he has the ability to instantly take your mind back to younger days.....the Italian team of the early 80's for instance, where each and every one of their defenders would murder you, your family, and everyone your family has ever spoken to, just to win a throw in. 

The phrase 'throwback to an earlier time' can be overused, but Chiellini is its living embodiment.  The summer of 1982 and the world cup in Spain kept on floating into my head every time I saw him last night...happy days. 

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Lee Dixon fell silent as soon as Donnarumma saved the final penalty and never uttered a single word thereafter.

Genuinely think he stormed out the studio in a huff as Matterface had to gonsolo for a good 10 minutes.

I hope they can update the commentary on Fifa 21. 

"With me in the commentary box was Lee Dixon. But he's fucked off because his team got beat."

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:
I'm genuinely struggling to work out whether this is an example of dry wit, or one of the best cases of stupidity in the history of P&B.

It's Stormzy so it's stupidity.

That was my initial impression, but watching him trying to claim personal victory over a St Johnstone fan (who's team just won the cup double) with 'Rangers won the league and England got to a final' just seems too far fetched.

was worried that the ref would get conned by dives from both teams last night but he was outstanding...wish more refs would ignore the divers and cheats and just get on with the game....lost count how many times kane went down with minimal or no contact and the ref just ignored it...and the sterling dive in the box was a great bit off refereeing.