Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

2 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Watched the game over in Carrickfergus this evening, with very much a neutral audience, so no sway either way. It wasn’t a classic with both sides evenly matched. Shame it had to go to penalties but well done Italy. Will welcome the newly crowed European Champions to Windsor Park in November.

Last night's Copa America stunk the place out, roll on the world cup.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

I stand by that. Players like Insigne and Immobile ( to a lesser extent - i think he's just off form) are thought of by some as being verging on world class level players and then folk are astounded when they see them in games like this making mistakes and being fairly anonymous in spells.  Players who play in Serie A or the Bundesliga have a bit more of an allure to folk over here than players they see playing every week in the Premier League. Like how Thiago Silva went from being the hipsters favourite to a supposed fraud when folk saw that he wasn't infallible when he chucked a couple in against West Brom. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me I don't think it's true to say I assign infallibility to these players. But I do generally know that they are technically superior to England's players.

It's not really a criticism of a certain league, before anyone starts on that, just an observation that players who play in Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, tend to be better in possession and generally technically better than England's players.

We saw this in the Croatia semi-final in 2018 and tonight the longer the game went, the more apparent Italy's superior ability to play their way out of tight situations and maintain possession became.

I am a bit of a tournament obsessive. I watch and rewatch them a lot. Teams with better technical players tend to do well. It's never a surprise to me when England come up short. It's not that their players aren't good, it's that they aren't the right kind of players.

The same can be said for Scotland in comparison to our peers.

2 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Southgate's coaching limitations exposed. Seems to have a limited range of pre-planned substitutions and struggles to respond to how the game develops. After the first half hour it was clear that Italy had control of the game and he needed to change something. 

I'm still none the wiser as to what bringing on Jordan Henderson is supposed to achieve.

Edited by Boo Khaki

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Also, back to tonight's game. Had England won that, Harry Maguire's penalty sparking the camera in the goal clean out would have been memed to death by them.

As it is now an afterthought though and will in no way be celebrated,  I can freely admit that it was as cool as f**k and I was very impressed by it.

It made me look a bit of a mug when I predicted Maguire would hit a shite pen and Rashford a good one. It must be hard coming on and barely touching the ball and having to hit a pen tbf. Anyway, what a night. 🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹

11 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

I stand by that. Players like Insigne and Immobile ( to a lesser extent - i think he's just off form) are thought of by some as being verging on world class level players and then folk are astounded when they see them in games like this making mistakes and being fairly anonymous in spells.  Players who play in Serie A or the Bundesliga have a bit more of an allure to folk over here than players they see playing every week in the Premier League. Like how Thiago Silva went from being the hipsters favourite to a supposed fraud when folk saw that he wasn't infallible when he chucked a couple in against West Brom. 

All of that is basically nonsense. Players who play in the Premier League are probably put on a pedestal more than any other league in the world by British people, so it's really the opposite of what you are saying.

No level headed football fan believes Insigne or Immobile are world class or even approaching it. 

Thiago Silva is renowned as one of the best centre backs of the last 10-15 years and that's regardless of what league he has played in or is playing in. That certainly never changed after a mistake against West Bromwich Albion.

2 minutes ago, Neilly said:

All of that is basically nonsense. Players who play in the Premier League are probably put on a pedestal more than any other league in the world by British people, so it's really the opposite of what you are saying.

No level headed football fan believes Insigne or Immobile are world class or even approaching it. 

Thiago Silva is renowned as one of the best centre backs of the last 10-15 years and that's regardless of what league he has played in or is playing in. That certainly never changed after a mistake against West Bromwich Albion.

I don't really disagree with any of that, i think i just made an arse of getting the point across. I wasn't really on about the general mainstream media opinions but more the things i listen to/read and folk i follow. I do see quite a few folk who talk about Immobile as being in the bracket just under the elite level strikers, but that probably says more about the folk i follow than anything else. 

The day after has come very quick indeed. 3 hours sleep.

I don't usually get onto the ABE bandwagon now, maybe as I don't live in Scotland anymore and can get away from the media coverage.

Last night or eary morning I watched it on BBC.  I don't think I have ever celebrated a goal that has not been a Forfar or Scotland, like a did with Italy.

To the game, I was obviously watching something else than Jermain Jenas, apart from the first 20 min in the game and a 5 minute period in extra-time, England didn't have a kick of the ball. Italy fully deserved that, there can be no complaints. If Italy had won it by 2 goals, nobody would have thought any different.

As for the penalties, You could see in the England huddle Southgate, telling the players (I think( who was taking them and which number to be taken (definitely what number).  Really bad management. Which left a young 19 boy hanging out to dry.  His subs, all of them came too late in the game. 

All in all great entertainment all round, and for my quiet a good tournament. 

Even seen a Saltire in the Italy side, which made me smile.

See you all at the world cup.

Guest TheJTS98
9 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I don't think I have ever celebrated a goal that has not been a Forfar or Scotland, like a did with Italy.

I surprised myself with the energy of my own celebration.

Still on the bevvy, to be honest. Been joyously checking in with pals in different parts of the world with my fridge full of Tiger.

What a day.

4 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I surprised myself with the energy of my own celebration.

Still on the bevvy, to be honest. Been joyously checking in with pals in different parts of the world with my fridge full of Tiger.

What a day.

I have a Monday club get together with 6 expats, 2 English, 2 Welsh & 2 German.  It will be interesting.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I have a Monday club get together with 6 expats, 2 English, 2 Welsh & 2 German.  It will be interesting.

I do feel slightly guilty. Three of my English pals here have already joined the zoom boozer (lockdown here) and they're all nice boys, so I don't want to rip the pish out them. I wish I knew some English bellends (ooh-err etc).

2 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Southgate's coaching limitations exposed. Seems to have a limited range of pre-planned substitutions and struggles to respond to how the game develops. After the first half hour it was clear that Italy had control of the game and he needed to change something. 

Southgate has got a fairly limited England to a semi final and a final and they have got there with an obvious managerial game plan.  To only concede twice with a spine of Pickford, Stones, Maguire, Rice and Phillips is pretty good going and a coaching achievement.

However at the end of the day Italy had better form, better performances, better players and a better manager. They were just a better overall team and that's not a Southgate limitation.

If the English public think that all of a sudden they are footballing colossus and can play sexy football and load up the team with the likes of Foden, Grealish and Sancho then it will be back to getting pumped out early in competitions. 

England vastly overachieved at this tournament and, some good fortune aside, it was mostly down to Southgate's pragmatic choices.