Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

2 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

Amusing how Rashford, who is an elite-level professional footballer, has achieved more in politics than that freakshow Grimes ever will despite the fact he devotes his life to it. 

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I did actually thanks mate. Had a fucking great night, and will remember it for years x

OK, Im sorry .. if this was a night you will "remember it for years" the, well, maybe get a girlfriend? You really are setting the bar very low as to lifelong memories.

But, fair play, pump yourself up .. 

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Right enough! Nesta is in there as well.

I'd rank it:

1. Maldini

2. Baresi

3. Nesta

4. Chiellini

5. Costacurta

6. Cannavaro 

I don't think any other nations defenders make the top 3, possibly 4 IMO.

Franz Beckenbauer 

Did England have a shot on target after their goal, scored in the 2nd minute of a cup final being played at home, their first in 55 years, that went for a full 120 minutes?

Harry Kane didn't have a touch in the Italian box all night. Not one. That's mental.

38 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The amount of Rangers fans commenting on Scots celebrating, saying “embarrassing”, “bitter wee men”, “pathetic” - it’s just absolutely wonderful. I hope they are having a truly terrible night! emoji38.png

I'll be honest here, as a Scot we shouldn't celebrate the failure of England. As an ardent nationalist, the anti-English vibe is unhelpful and somewhat parochial. That said, it's with no relief that Italy won.

Edit: I see this comment is getting some hate. Fair enough, but we need to be pragmatic about this. It's hilarious the English lost, but equally we shouldn't indulge in nationalist onanism.

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The amount of Rangers fans commenting on Scots celebrating, saying “embarrassing”, “bitter wee men”, “pathetic” - it’s just absolutely wonderful. I hope they are having a truly terrible night! emoji38.png

I'm sure those same fans kept a dignified silence on 21st May 2003.

I don't watch much football outside of Scotland these days, so getting to see more of some of these Italian players has been joyous. We all know what the centre halves are about, probably the best defensive partnership of the last 15 years. In the early games I loved watching Nicolo Barella, the most South American of European midfielders I've seen, he always looks to play forward when he receives the ball. Spinazzola proved me wrong, and the Italian theory right, that playing full backs on their wrong side can be highly effective. When Donnarumma started breaking through at Milan it was fairly obvious he was going to be one of the best players in the world for 15-20 years, a goalie with that frame and composure is a sight to behold. He's certainly lived up to that. Chiesa I'd enjoyed watching prior to the tournament but he's really stepped it up in recent games, a proper winger who can frustrate but really thrilled tonight in particular.

Italian football has for years held a special place in many peoples' hearts. It's great to see the demise that has been predicted for years has turned out to be bullshit. Also well done to Mancini who, after an underwhelming five years or so in management, has turned a rock bottom national team into European champions in 3 years, playing some of the most entertaining major tournament football I've seen in the process.