Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

I've actually been wondering what will happen should Italy win on Sunday.  The English are working themselves into an absolute frenzy, as would ourselves in fairness, but I feel that our habitual experience of disappointment would provide a softer landing.  It won't take much for 'Football's Coming Home' to be replaced on the turntable with 'I Predict A Riot'.

England have an habitual experience of disappointment aswell tbf, they’ve been hopeless underachievers for decades.

3 hours ago, Binos said:

I'm pretty sure ivory coast beat someone 11-10 to win an African nations cup

You are indeed correct but I checked and Ivory Coast surpassed even that with a 12-11 semi final penalty win in 2006.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've actually been wondering what will happen should Italy win on Sunday.  The English are working themselves into an absolute frenzy, as would ourselves in fairness, but I feel that our habitual experience of disappointment would provide a softer landing.  It won't take much for 'Football's Coming Home' to be replaced on the turntable with 'I Predict A Riot'.

Put it this way the police in England are mobilising for the some of the biggest uniformed operations they've had in years. 

Guaranteed few Italian restaurants will get trashed by the neanderthal element I'm their support.

Also guaranteed that if Sterling fucks up he will get the blame.

Obviously I'm a relic for an age long ago of unacceptable brutality and toxic masculinity but can someone just plant a knee right into Sterling's femur in minute 1 of this final?
You do that and England pretty much have nothing outside of gonk headers from Maguire at set pieces.

Genuinely surprised that no-one has tried to snap him at any point.

I'm really hoping that the blatant cheating throughout the semi final will come back to haunt Engurland. Surely the officials for Sunday will have studied the semi final and be loathe to fall for Sterling, Kane's and Grealish's antics on such a big occasion. The Italians are not adverse to a bit of it themselves and it would be true Karma if they won it with some simulation. The seethe from Lineker, Ferdinand etc would be a joy to behold.

Edited by Joe Terrapin

17 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

😂😂😂

Why hasn’t anyone tried to stop England cheating by planning to take out the player of the tournament with a leveller, leaving England exposed with only Saka, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, or Foden to rely on?

I like Hawksbee and Jacobs, so usually have Talksport on during afternoons. The entire station is already on a victory lap.
Yeah I like the breakfast show and the H and J show but avoiding it like the plague the now.

Adrian Durham, Goldstein and Cundy will be insufferable for months if they win on Sunday.

An interesting point is that they have never had disappointment in a major final, as they have only been to one previously.
The most successful nations have had to be runners-up on multiple occasions...Germany 4 times World Cup winners and also 4 times runners-up, 3 times European Championship winners and 3 times runners-up...Italy 4 times World Cup winners and twice runners-up, once European Championship winners and twice runners-up...even Brazil twice World Cup runners-up...
If you want to win major tournaments, it's seems as if you should also expect to be runners-up at least at some point as well...

The Greeks and the Danes would like a word.

Unless it's a rout for one side .. then both teams are going to be heroes in their countries. Fabulous efforts by both.

In that sense, there can't be a loser per se.

Two best teams by both finishing position and performances.

Unless it's a rout for one side .. then both teams are going to be heroes in their countries. Fabulous efforts by both.
In that sense, there can't be a loser per se.
Two best teams by both finishing position and performances.

Aye right. If England lose there will still be pundits and elements of their support slagging certain players.

England have an habitual experience of disappointment aswell tbf, they’ve been hopeless underachievers for decades.

Honestly believe this will continue on Sunday, it’s going to be a such a massive ‘come down’ for the England faithful if it does. Don’t think we’ve ever seen such levels of hysteria. The mourning after Wembley 96 will pale into insignificance.

This is a strange one for me. I was born in England and supported them in major tournaments from an early age.  I would weep heavy tears whenever they got knocked out (Ronaldinho's lob being the most memorable of those occasions). I'm not sure why I've become disconnected from the English national team in the last decade. I've noticed myself getting more and more irritated by the English media and pundits and commentators, and I can't imagine that's because they've got any worse, but more likely because I've simply got older and my views have changed. My political views have also changed. Having lived in Scotland from the age of 1 until the age of 25, I feel like my national identity is Scottish rather than English. I take much more interest in the world of Scottish football than the world of English football. So, that little boy would no doubt be disappointed about how he's turned out. He probably couldn't have ever envisaged the possibility of not supporting England in the final of the Euros... yet here we are.

Having said that, my dad is English, I have a lot of friends and family in England, and I live here now. It has been quite overwhelming to experience the stereotypical overconfidence and entitlement from within the country itself, and this has no doubt contributed towards my desire for glorious failure, but I'd also be happy for the good English people I know. If they win, so be it. If not, even better.

Why hasn’t anyone tried to stop England cheating by planning to take out the player of the tournament with a leveller, leaving England exposed with only Saka, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, or Foden to rely on?
Rashford?

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]