Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

7 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Of all the tragic chat there has been on the Euro 2020/2021 forum, the chat about timescales of Roman conquests/who is "better at war" between Britain and Italy has been the most tragic.

I dunno, in a weird way they're some of the best. 

The real posting artists of the forum are the ones who can see beyond mere words, who can transcend their minds to the abstract and allow the rest of us mere mortals the privilege of a glimpse inside. Sometimes I forget this is even a football forum.

It's what the rep system was created for and I don't mind admitting; I'm a generous lover. It's the least I... we can do to repay them.

The Bean to ragdoll Maguire at a corner in the 93m to win it ripping off his shirt and running the full length of Wembley Giggs style to spark a tsunami of salty English tears as Wrighty sobs uncontrollably into his mic thus electrocuting the whole commentary gantry to the backdrop of the Italian fans goading the red eyed gammons with a hearty rendition of It's Coming Rome.

If Peroni did football.....

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

I dunno, in a weird way they're some of the best. 

The real posting artists of the forum are the ones who can see beyond mere words, who can transcend their minds to the abstract and allow the rest of us mere mortals the privilege of a glimpse inside. Sometimes I forget this is even a football forum.

It's what the rep system was created for and I don't mind admitting; I'm a generous lover. It's the least I... we can do to repay them.

Me too .. I think this retrospective (or maybe the concept of it) on Roman/Germanic conquests is banter at its finest. Its just so brilliantly abstract.

Reminds me of the historians on the Mary Whitehouse Experience. ("Thats your mother, that is")

Edited by SoloXI

9 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’ve heard this a lot, but I suspect the attitude would change very, very quickly if we ever actually did start doing well at tournaments, particularly if it coincided with England not doing very well. Not necessarily for you in particular, since I don’t know you, but for a lot I suspect it’s a bit like OF fans with a wee team - they’d almost immediately stop liking the wee team if they ever actually threatened to beat Celtgers consistently. 

I love Scotland and Scottish football and will be up there this weekend watching two matches during which I will recomplete the 42 upper league grounds in Scotland. I still have not completed the 92 in England although I have been getting close.

I am also half Irish, so when I say I want all the home nations plus the Republic to do well I do actually mean it. Maybe that makes me an outlier?

37 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Bet 365 have Harry Kane as the 7/2 second favourite to be UEFA's Player of the Tournament and again I'm ready to go Eric Paddock off the balcony window.

I spent about an hour reading up on him after you referenced him last night and ended up having a dream of being shot at by a sniper.
So cheers for that. 

55 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Bet 365 have Harry Kane as the 7/2 second favourite to be UEFA's Player of the Tournament and again I'm ready to go Eric Paddock off the balcony window.

As I said to the other confused poster before, I dont think you understand how bookies work.

Trust me, bet365 will be utterly delighted if England lose 

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Actually they've sometimes been cracking games: e.g. South Korea v Turkey in 2002.

Answer is that when Euros became a proper final tournament with groups in 1980 it was abolished. It's actually relatively unusual not to have them... World Cup, Olympics, Copa America, Africa Cup of Nations all still got them and ditto Confederations Cup had... Oceania Nations Cup seems to have dropped it in 2016; Gold Cup in 2017; and Asian Cup in 2019.

Oddity is that UEFA Nations League has it but that's for same reason Euros had it from 1960 to 1976 i.e. if you're bringing teams together for knockout SFs & Final it's especially harsh to send 2 of them home after 1 game.

They even had it in FA Cup, during 1970s.

There was a third place play-off at Euro 80. Czechoslovakia beat Italy after what remains the longest penalty shootout in international history (9-8).

That tournament didn't have semi finals though, similar to the World Cups at the time, the two group winners met in the final, with the group runners up playing the third place final.

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

There was a third place play-off at Euro 80. Czechoslovakia beat Italy after what remains the longest penalty shootout in international history (9-8).

That tournament didn't have semi finals though, similar to the World Cups at the time, the two group winners met in the final, with the group runners up playing the third place final.

I'm pretty sure ivory coast beat someone 11-10 to win an African nations cup

I spent about an hour reading up on him after you referenced him last night and ended up having a dream of being shot at by a sniper.
So cheers for that. 

One of the most infuriating rabbit holes to go down as there’s a grab bag of strange coincidences none of which are anywhere substantial enough to be an explanation just a collection of “hmm that’s weird.”

As I said to the other confused poster before, I dont think you understand how bookies work.
Trust me, bet365 will be utterly delighted if England lose 

I worked in a bookies for five years I understand fine.

12 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

The Bean to ragdoll Maguire at a corner in the 93m to win it ripping off his shirt and running the full length of Wembley Giggs style to spark a tsunami of salty English tears as Wrighty sobs uncontrollably into his mic thus electrocuting the whole commentary gantry to the backdrop of the Italian fans goading the red eyed gammons with a hearty rendition of It's Coming Rome.

If Peroni did football.....

I've actually been wondering what will happen should Italy win on Sunday.  The English are working themselves into an absolute frenzy, as would ourselves in fairness, but I feel that our habitual experience of disappointment would provide a softer landing.  It won't take much for 'Football's Coming Home' to be replaced on the turntable with 'I Predict A Riot'.

The play-acting italians accusing the upstanding, honest english team of diving is a clear case of psychological projection. A thief will always suspect others are trying to steal from him.

16 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've actually been wondering what will happen should Italy win on Sunday.  The English are working themselves into an absolute frenzy, as would ourselves in fairness, but I feel that our habitual experience of disappointment would provide a softer landing.  It won't take much for 'Football's Coming Home' to be replaced on the turntable with 'I Predict A Riot'.

An interesting point is that they have never had disappointment in a major final, as they have only been to one previously.

The most successful nations have had to be runners-up on multiple occasions...Germany 4 times World Cup winners and also 4 times runners-up, 3 times European Championship winners and 3 times runners-up...Italy 4 times World Cup winners and twice runners-up, once European Championship winners and twice runners-up...even Brazil twice World Cup runners-up...

If you want to win major tournaments, it's seems as if you should also expect to be runners-up at least at some point as well...

Obviously I'm a relic for an age long ago of unacceptable brutality and toxic masculinity but can someone just plant a knee right into Sterling's femur in minute 1 of this final?

You do that and England pretty much have nothing outside of gonk headers from Maguire at set pieces.