Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

18 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I agree, found it unfunny, needless & offensive at the time. I just found it unreal people could actually get away with it so recently, League of Gentleman were also bad for it.

Even if that weren’t the case, the people involved should have realised.  Surely?  

Edited by Savage Henry

23 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Even if that weren’t the case, the people involved should have realised.  Surely?  

They really, really should have, or at the very least a person with Editorial power & responsibilities should have said err... no I don't think so.

You're judging something in history by today's standards. Context matters.

Nowadays we understand that the joke was racist - but that's only because we're looking at it through a modern, more educated lense.

I remember watching it and thought even then it was racist and completely unacceptable.

I think if Social Media had existed then there would have been more reaction.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

Bear in mind that as recently as 2011, David Williams & Matt Lucas were getting 10 million viewers watching them in blackface make up.

Nearly 13 million people in this country voted Tory at the most recent election.

Good discussion.

Those pointing out that something was no less intrinsically racist because it happened earlier, are of course, right.

However, Pandarilla is not altogether wrong either, in suggesting that the 'moral crime' (if it can clumsily be put that way) was  a bit different then, because sensibilities were different.  That is complicated though by the fact that the offence felt by the target was every bit as real as would be the case now.

We all like to think our stances have been independently arrived at, but the reality is that they're shaped massively by context.  The past really is a different country in which they do things differently.  That does need acknowledged.