Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Watching these dramatic video clips reminded me of something but I couldn't remember what it was.  Then I got it.  It was the compilation of scenes from homes and pubs of the point in Game of Thrones where Arya Stark killed the Night King.  Fear... anticipation.... hope.... hope dashed... hope again... the forces of darkness vanquished... 

Riveting stuff... 😉

People went to the pub to watch game of thrones?

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Lee was never on the show, and it was quite clearly making a racist joke at his expense. You don't think blacking up and putting a pineapple on his head to mock his hairstyle was racist?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/jason-lee-david-baddiel-frank-skinner-apology-comedy-sketches-a9592741.html

People didn't look at it like that back then

It was just considered as an impression 

In 25 years people will be looking at things done and considered ok today as not 

4 minutes ago, Binos said:

People went to the pub to watch game of thrones?

Aye massive in the states going to the boozer to watch opening/ final episodes of a tv series

Had the pleasure of trying to get served during an opening episode of the walking dead in Austin fecking nightmare 

Lee was never on the show, and it was quite clearly making a racist joke at his expense. You don't think blacking up and putting a pineapple on his head to mock his hairstyle was racist?
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/jason-lee-david-baddiel-frank-skinner-apology-comedy-sketches-a9592741.html
I'm mistaken then, and will edit my post.

I still stand by the wider point, though.

Just now, doulikefish said:

Aye massive in the states going to the boozer to watch opening/ final episodes of a tv series

Had the pleasure of trying to get served during an opening episode of the walking dead in Austin fecking nightmare 

Amazing 

29 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

If that's a corruption of the original meaning then it started in 1998, when the same artists released an updated version where "coming home" unambiguously meant winning the tournament.

Also a better version of the song tbh.

Yes, I suppose it did.

I never really thought of the remake that way, but yes, "no more years of hurt" does take it in that direction, albeit I'd imagine that had more to do with demands of metre, than a philosophical shift.

I remember the video featuring a lame Kuntz joke, as well as that custard thing they did to create the World Cup trophy.

I know that Frank Skinner regretted the new 1998 version, because he thought the song belonged to 1996 and that time couldn't be recaptured.  

I do genuinely believe that it's actually an added burden that the modern England team could do without.  It manages to piss off, and motivate, much of the footballing world.

Yes, I suppose it did.
I never really thought of the remake that way, but yes, "no more years of hurt" does take it in that direction, albeit I'd imagine that had more to do with demands of metre, than a philosophical shift.
I remember the video featuring a lame Kuntz joke, as well as that custard thing they did to create the World Cup trophy.
I know that Frank Skinner regretted the new 1998 version, because he thought the song belonged to 1996 and that time couldn't be recaptured.  
I do genuinely believe that it's actually an added burden that the modern England team could do without.  It manages to piss off, and motivate, much of the footballing world.
Agreed.

The meaning of the song has evolved into something much more unpleasant - and the reason for this is partly accidental (trying to find a lyric that fits), and partly the deeper arrogance of the English national psyche.

2 hours ago, Binos said:

People didn't look at it like that back then

It was just considered as an impression 

In 25 years people will be looking at things done and considered ok today as not 

Yes, “people” did look at it like that.  Those people simply didn’t have an amplified voice.  They were even more marginalised in the mainstream press.   And Jason Lee called them out on it, so it’s not as if racism is somehow relative to the furore it causes.  That these things are called out now is simply a reframing of debate to include underrepresented voices, not that the whole “racism thing” is being called out more. The dynamic of agency is changing, not interpretation of racism.

Edited by Savage Henry

Just now, Steve_Wilkos said:

What I see whenever Big Bitter Stormzy posts:

Screenshot-20210713-155531.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

E6-Cb7-PIWQAUoo-EX-edit-38481770597773.jpg

It's always the try hards that love to tell people they've got other people on ignore. Quite why you felt the need to post that escapes me. 

Glad to hear that going on telly in blackface with a pineapple on your head for a hilarious impression, causing the player to face specific abuse throughout the rest of his career, and never apologizing to the person in question while setting yourself up as a moral arbiter on racism, was not racist because it was in 1996.

EKc6TBKXUAYAShZ.png

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yes, “people” did look it like that.  Those people simply didn’t have a voice.  They were even more marginalised in the mainstream press.   And Jason Lee called them out on it, so it’s not as if racism is somehow relative to the furore it causes.  That these things are called out now is simply a reframing of debate to include underrepresented voices, not that the whole “racism thing” is being called out more. The dynamic of agency is changing, not interpretation of racism.

No they didn't 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Glad to hear that going on telly in blackface with a pineapple on your head for a hilarious impression, causing the player to face specific abuse throughout the rest of his career, and never apologizing to the person in question while setting yourself up as a moral arbiter on racism, was not racist because it was in 1996.

EKc6TBKXUAYAShZ.png

Frankie Boyle told a joke about jordan marrying a cage fighter to stop Harvey from raping her

It was a different age

49 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

me remembering that penalty shootout where Ricardo saved the penalty with his gloves aff and then scored to win it for Portugal. Edit: have cheated and looked it up on youtube (would recommend tbh), forgot about Postiga clipping a Panenka past David James and all

giorgio.JPG.d9a70a668aa4465d72f284edbfcb3c1c.JPG

Probably the greatest penalty shootout ever.

Probably-not-the-best-beer-in-the-world-

EKc6TBKXUAYAShZ.png.c6c31f1468694199231cbd3e4aad2a96.png
Frankie Boyle being a tit doesn’t make Baddiel less of one. A bit of me wishes Lee had gone on the show to watch the b*****ds squirm. Matthew Kelly at least avenged on his behalf in Skinner’s case. 
No-one (including Lee) criticised about this at the time.

Lee discussing it was much more recent, and both comedians have apologised for the joke.

Context matters.