Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

35 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Can someone point me to the direction of a petition to replay the semi final between England & Denmark as the good people of Denmark were clearly denied the chance of a penalty shoot out thanks to the ref & VAR painting the bed sheets brown.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Gutted. Went to sign so I could leave a comment about their glorious tears but it wouldn't let me.

The petitioner's opening statement btw:-

"After italy only receiving a yellow card for dragging England players like they were slaves..."

Ooft!

On 12/07/2021 at 13:01, Detournement said:

The "Coming Home" hype around England looks like a noose around their neck now. It's ramped up the pressure on the players, driven the fans insane like the "The Ten" did up here and seems to really piss off Euro fans and teams to the extent that a Scottish/Irish attitude to them getting beat seems quite widespread. 

Bonnuci and Schmeichel were both clearly pissed off by it and the idea that England winning is somehow more important and meaningful than anyone else is only going to motivate all of your opponents making winning more difficult.

Totally agree with this.

It started off as a good football song marking the idea of the game returning to the place it was first codified, in the form of that place hosting a tournament.  The same song lamented England's (even then) long run without success on the pitch.

However, with England doing well in the last two tournaments and with a generation born since it first came out now in adulthood, it's become warped to the point about football coming home, somehow coming to represent England winning a trophy.  As such, it has all sorts of connotations to do with success being somehow correct and fair - it now reeks of an entitlement it didn't initially carry.

In the last World Cup and in this tournament, we've seen exactly the sentiment you describe.  I think Brexit and Boris Johnson are attached to it, but there's no doubt that it's not just people in these islands that now see England defeats as desirable.

The corruption of 'Three Lions' is definitely part of that.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Totally agree with this.

It started off as a good football song marking the idea of the game returning to the place it was first codified, in the form of that place hosting a tournament.  The same song lamented England's (even then) long run without success on the pitch.

However, with England doing well in the last two tournaments and with a generation born since it first came out now in adulthood, it's become warped to the point about football coming home, somehow coming to represent England winning a trophy.  As such, it has all sorts of connotations to do with success being somehow correct and fair - it now reeks of an entitlement it didn't initially carry.

In the last World Cup and in this tournament, we've seen exactly the sentiment you describe.  I think Brexit and Boris Johnson are attached to it, but there's no doubt that it's not just people in these islands that now see England defeats as desirable.

The corruption of 'Three Lions' is definitely part of that.

If that's a corruption of the original meaning then it started in 1998, when the same artists released an updated version where "coming home" unambiguously meant winning the tournament.

Also a better version of the song tbh.

me remembering that penalty shootout where Ricardo saved the penalty with his gloves aff and then scored to win it for Portugal. Edit: have cheated and looked it up on youtube (would recommend tbh), forgot about Postiga clipping a Panenka past David James and all

giorgio.JPG.d9a70a668aa4465d72f284edbfcb3c1c.JPG

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

me remembering that penalty shootout where Ricardo saved the decisive penalty with his gloves aff

giorgio.JPG.d9a70a668aa4465d72f284edbfcb3c1c.JPG

Wheeeeeeeeeen.... theeeee... ball hits the net

And the English are oot

That's Ricardo

Talking of shit comedians being cancelled, Baddiel and Skinner should have long since been binned for their Jason Lee blackface sketches.
Away and f**k off.

Baddiel and skinner were genuinely funny in the 90s. Baddiel can be a bit of a w**k but Frank skinner is a funny (old) guy.

As a viewer it was clear to me that they weren't making some sort of racist joke.

But of course they wouldn't make that joke now. The discussion around blackface (and indeed hair styles) has rightly evolved in the last 20 years - but context is important with stuff like this.

If that's a corruption of the original meaning then it started in 1998, when the same artists released an updated version where "coming home" unambiguously meant winning the tournament.
Also a better version of the song tbh.
I didn't like the 'no more years of hurt' bit.
I get that 'thirty years' no longer fitted, but dunno, think where the stresses on the words changed ruined it for me or something.

Anyway, might be a leap by me but I feel like this time, the "it's coming home" slogan had heavy "taking back control" vibes.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Away and f**k off.

Baddiel and skinner were genuinely funny in the 90s. Baddiel can be a bit of a w**k but Frank skinner is a funny (old) guy.

They got Jason lee on the show at the time, and it was clear they weren't making some sort of racist joke.

But of course they wouldn't make that joke now. The discussion around blackface (and indeed hair styles) has rightly evolved in the last 20 years - but context is important with stuff like this.

Jason Lee declined the invite to be on the show and is evidently still less than amused by the pair of unfunny wankers - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/jason-lee-david-baddiel-frank-skinner-apology-comedy-sketches-a9592741.html%3famp

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Away and f**k off.

They got Jason lee on the show at the time, and it was clear they weren't making some sort of racist joke.

Lee was never on the show, and it was quite clearly making a racist joke at his expense. You don't think blacking up and putting a pineapple on his head to mock his hairstyle was racist?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/jason-lee-david-baddiel-frank-skinner-apology-comedy-sketches-a9592741.html