Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

10 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Have to admit, they might have the worst national anthem in football but It's Coming Home is possibly the best football song ever written. 

Not even the best England song IMO.

10 hours ago, Judy Murray said:

I am too young to have really seen the shift but was it not down to more self policing amongst the TA?

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think it was after Heysel Stadium and English teams banned from Europe. There was a real effort to show we're not like them, including self policing.

The Denmark game at Mexico 86 was a bit of a turning point IIRC. The Danes had a phenomenal support over there and got the self deprecating look down to a tee with their viking helmets, wigs and face paints. It clearly struck a chord with the TA who witnessed it. The kilted japester image grew in popularity from then on.

4 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

The Denmark game at Mexico 86 was a bit of a turning point IIRC. The Danes had a phenomenal support over there and got the self deprecating look down to a tee with their viking helmets, wigs and face paints. It clearly struck a chord with the TA who witnessed it. The kilted japester image grew in popularity from then on.

Think some of our lot have forgotten the jokey self depreciating part of it tbh, but still trying not to be utter c***s is core and very valuable.

Thing is, absolutely none of the shite that happened over the course of the last couple days is remotely shocking.
It was entirely predictable that England fans would get bevvied up and start fighting amongst themselves. It was entirely predictable fans would try storm into the stadium. And worst of all, it was entirely predictable from the nano second Saka missed his kick that there would be tones of racial abuse online.
It happens too often, and is entirely too predictable, to be reguarly put on the blame of an idiot minority.
Scotland fans are far from perfect, but I genuinely dont think Ive ever seen Scotland fans racially abusing an Adams, Anya, Iwelumo, Quashie, etc. and hopefully never will.
England has a deep seated issue with race that goes way beyond a simple game of football. It harks back to the idea of the commonwealth (what a hilariously ironic name btw) and the white supremecy of lording over african colonies.
Its honestly fucking disgusting to still be speaking about this shite. Most of us are obviously delighted the three missed their pens, but f**k my heart doesnt half go out to them for what they must see every time the look online.
Brexit and the election of racists like Johnson has probably accentuated the problem because it has validated the racists point of view.

Sadly, true. The Tories have wrapped themselves in the Union Jack since Brexit and their most idiotic followers now have the belief that any criticism of the government means you hate the country. Witness that pathetic Torygraph "journalist" saying that Mings should be banned from playing for England because he said something nasty about our poor racist Home Secretrary. Millions of people have been completely brainwashed by the promise of an intangible new dawn post-Brexit, a bit of petty flag-waving and some old-fashioned dog whistle racism.

The worst part of the racist abuse is how it’s not just coming from anonymous trolls, not sure if it was shared on here or if it was on twitter but I saw a guy who had his full name and picture on his Twitter account which was the same as his linked in profile where he said n****** can’t take penalties for The entire world to see and someone highlighted it to his employers by yesterday morning.

Another person who inundated Rashford with monkey emojis after Man Utd lost the Europa league final was a primary school teacher which Rashford was able to find out just by searching his name into Facebook. Rashford chose not to  name and shame the guy as well.

11 hours ago, Michael W said:
I can't get what goes through people's heads to racially abuse someone for something like a penalty miss, as if their race is the determining factor in it happening. 

There's the danger that a vicious circle develops the more this sort of abuse goes on, not helped by the "it's only a minority" brigade effectively normalising it. 

These players are already under enormous pressure from factors that relate to the vast majority of the fan base, so you can imagine what the extra unneeded weight of knowing what's potentially in the pipeline from the minority (should they miss) can do to any man.

Whilst it's 'only' a minority of fans dishing out the online abuse, you can imagine a significant number (further?) developing and harbouring an imperialistic-like view along the lines of: "better get the whites to take them as there's less chance of them bottling it", or "great, here we go again...", which can only lead to more and more problems along these lines.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I wouldn't worry, Gareth Southgate has confirmed the "vast majority" of comments are coming from Russian bots.

Such a nice man though, hard to hate him.

8 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

The c***s will be fucking terrified that people like Mings and Rashford calling the Tories out will be swaying voters in certain areas.

Lovely stuff.

Neville too.  The more blue ticked Twitterers calling out the Tories will hopefully mean less votes in key seats.

Am i the only one wondering why UEFA is so quiet after the final?

I thought they were going to address the problems with the fans and people entering Wembley with no ticket. I'm sure it takes time to investigate, but still, the silence just seems unprofessional.

Not very impressed with UEFA in general this tournamen.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't worry, Gareth Southgate has confirmed the "vast majority" of comments are coming from Russian bots.

i saw that.  Presumably he'll have some kind of evidence to back that claim up.

I thought they were going to address the problems with the fans and people entering Wembley with no ticket. I'm sure it takes time to investigate, but still, the silence just seems unprofessional.

UEFA Have no immediate need to issue punishments with the next round of international fixtures being in September. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re awaiting match reports from delegates before commenting further.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

The worst part of the racist abuse is how it’s not just coming from anonymous trolls, not sure if it was shared on here or if it was on twitter but I saw a guy who had his full name and picture on his Twitter account which was the same as his linked in profile where he said n****** can’t take penalties for The entire world to see and someone highlighted it to his employers by yesterday morning.

He’s now claiming his account was hacked. I’m shocked, I tell you, shocked. 

It’s funny how so many accounts belonging to random people are hacked with the sole purpose of posting racist comments towards black footballers. 

16 minutes ago, Lina_sif said:

It doesn't reflect well on them either, in fairness. They'll probably be waiting for evidence and will take action if necessary at a later date when things have died down. 

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A lot of the comments probably are from bots tbf. But really, this is quite easy to prove/disprove so I'd have hoped he wouldn't make this claim without evidence. 

Hopefully those that are physically located in England will be brought to justice. 

It’s funny how so many accounts belonging to random people are hacked with the sole purpose of posting racist comments towards black footballers. 
There were 2 accounts - one was a fake, possibly parody account- his real account has posts going back 5 years with similar content.

He's a lying shitebag.

7 minutes ago, The Master said:

It definitely does looks like a delaying tactic. This should be fairly easy to prove, so if he's lying about it then we can have wasting police time added to the charge sheet. 

Savills seemed to get a lot of crap for not firing the guy instantly, but there's due process to follow. I suspect that the employee's claim is a delaying tactic to buy him some time (and another month's wage) but if he's fired without due process then there's an unfair dismissal case against them. And you don't want a racist getting a payout because the firm fucked up. 

Edited by Michael W

It is utterly disgusting the behaviour of these utter morons on a day that the whole nation should be as one. 

Alcohol and racism is obviously two of the main reasons behind it all. 

I cannot get same fans fighting among themselves.