Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

10 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nothing like totally minimising your national embarrassment when there's a World Cup bid on the horizon, eh?

If FIFA were concerned about fan safety they wouldn't have sent the last four World Cups to South Africa, Brazil, Russia and Qatar.

Whilst it's good Kane is publically supporting his teammates here, as you'd expect him too, he's falling into the trap of pulling the classic "you're not a (club/country) fan" if you do or say something wrong. I mean, a real fan would never do such things. 

It's denialism. I'm afraid that at least some of them are indeed England fans - they are English, support the national team and abuse players for their race when they make mistakes. It's happened all season in the PL as well. Some of it will come from overseas or bots, but it's just too convenient to make these statements that really just brush it aside. 

Looking away from racism a minute, what about those rioters that forced their way into Wembley last night. I imagine some are comforting themselves right now that these people are not real England fans because a real fan would never behave this way and they want to absolve themselves from guilt by association. Whatever makes them feel better about themselves, but it was an England football match they were forcing their way into, so.... 

I can't get what goes through people's heads to racially abuse someone for something like a penalty miss, as if their race is the determining factor in it happening. 

Edited by Michael W

They're never gonna stop the racism as long as they come out with the shite that it's "a minority" and "they're not real fans". There needs to be a realisation from the decent fans and those in power that it's deeper than that. They've voted in a series of governments that are more and more right wing each time and who have spent the past decade blaming foreigners for everything. Doesn't take a genius to work out that there are a growing number of angry, violent men getting more and more right-wing, more racist and more violent
It's that attitude that caused me to leave a FB group last night.

Way too many apologists trying to play down the issue or saying there wasn't an issue and it was not English fans doing the trolling racist abuse.

Even when they were presented with the evidence there was still complete denial.

It should be no surprise that this is a not just a small minority - it clearly is a significant minority given the continued booing of players taking the knee, the booing of all countries anthems and the continued singing of racist songs. Yes there are decent Engjand fans but not enough are willing to challenge the racist arseholes.

The press and politicians wringing their hands from the side are the biggest hypocrites - 45+ years of racist bile from the right wing MSM, a Tory party led by a racist Prime Minister and an opposition party too scared to call out racism for fear of alienating their racist working class supporters.

The only thing coming home is the chickens to roost.

25 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

A lot to unpick here, but my favourite is the lad on the left shaking the Champagne bottle after the first save in preparation.

Football fans filming their own crushing disappointment  has quickly become my favourite genre of Youtube video.

13 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Football fans filming their own crushing disappointment  has quickly become my favourite genre of Youtube video.

I spent an hour this morning on YouTube watching England fans reaction videos.  Utterly glorious.

24 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Fair play to Rashford, Kane, Mings et al tbh. Couldn't be clearer what they stand for. A clear moral stance and refusing to be cowed by the media/Tories. Most politicians in the country could learn something.

Rashford and Mings, yes. Kane's lily-livered "they're not real fans" doesn't achieve anything apart from allow the ever-diminishing majority of non-racist England fans to wash their hands of it and say "well, they're not one of us" rather than acknowledging that they are "one of us" and doing something about it.

Big news story of course is the racist trolling of the penalty missers, quite rightly as it is disgusting, albeit forecast on this thread right after the shoot-out. Then there's the general English thuggery inside the stadium and outside. Trending on social media, coverage on local and national news sites except the BBC. They are awfy quiet about it. Why is that?

They fan laugh all they want. But I just chuckle away at the small mindedness seethe at anything English. No wonder this country cannot move on.
"Cannot move on" - from a poster who is literally consumed by self-hatred to the extent he can barely form a coherent sentence. Wonderful [emoji23]

26 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The nerve of these c***s. I wonder how many column inches they have devoted to idiots declaring that taking the knee is nothing but virtue-signalling woke Marxism?

That signposts and weather cocks speech springs to mind.