Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

image.png.2b9f3567f4bb0b207da6357467b89787.png
Happy enough with the defence and forwards.
Looking back, it didn't really seem to be a big championship for midfielders. Bizarre that at least one of Veratti and Barella weren't included and I'd have picked Rice or Phillips over Grealish as an option for England any day of the week.
Sterling could easily have gotten in, Walker could be in ahead of Maehle and Stones and Maguire could have been in if Bonucci and Chiellini weren't so imperious and handsome.
Edit. Obviously raging that Billy Gilmour wasn't an option either.
Screenshot_20210712-200957_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

Yeah, very strange behaviour. A lot of football celebs were tweeting asking what the f**k they were playing at as it was such a shambles at Wembley Way.

I haven’t been to Wembley since the old stadium a few times around 20-25 years ago.

It was a ballache of a place to get to then from many parts of London including the centre.

Apparently the new place has been designed with an outlet mall meaning that Wembley Way, as impressive as it looks, is now the only way in and out of a 90,000 seater stadium.

Just sounds a recipe for carnage and a contributory factor to the shambles last night.

The ironically named Claudio Gentile comes to mind. If there was an algorithm for most influential player with fewest touches of the ball, it would be him.  Of course he touched plenty of other things, but always out of the the referee's sight. 
Marco Tardelli was another in that team who just took no prisoners.

When footballers could tackle and the opponents wouldn't go down like they'd been shot.

Guest Bob Mahelp
18 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I haven’t been to Wembley since the old stadium a few times around 20-25 years ago.

It was a ballache of a place to get to then from many parts of London including the centre.

Apparently the new place has been designed with an outlet mall meaning that Wembley Way, as impressive as it looks, is now the only way in and out of a 90,000 seater stadium.

Just sounds a recipe for carnage and a contributory factor to the shambles last night.

Nah, not really. It's true that Wembley Way effectively funnels people who arrive on the tube to Wembley Park station, but all the other access routes are still there. 

The best way to Wembley still remains the overground to Wembley Stadium station or to Wembley Central.  You can actually get off the train, find a boozer close by, and be in the stadium in 10 minutes. 

Wembley Way is just the iconic TV-friendly route, but there are plenty of other ways to reach the stadium.**

**The disclaimer to this is that Wembley, along with Hampden, is logistically pretty shit to get into and out of. The disadvantages of historical stadiums I suppose. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

I hate the "minority" nonsense that gets peddled. Of course it is officially the minority as the country would be a baron wasteland if not but there are and were a significant amount of a*seholes within that support that really calls for drastic measures & punishment.

They should not be anywhere near hosting a tournament or even major club finals. Maybe then the FA will front up and stop just down playing it as "the minority"

Akin to the nonsense that get's peddled up here with the ugly sister "minority"

Bullshit

33 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Strong words. Fair play to him for having the balls to step up and post this.

I really want to hate him as he's their "talisman", but it's impossible really. If he had a competent manager at International level he'd probably already have 2 major trophies and 2 golden boots for his country.

Fair fucks to him for that.

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Astounded by the amount of idiots on Twitter who seem to think that Chiellini foul on Saka should have been a red card. 

Especially when Jorginhos was easily the one closest to a red out the two.

26 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Astounded by the amount of idiots on Twitter who seem to think that Chiellini foul on Saka should have been a red card. 

I can see both sides.

I fully understand that within the Laws that it is a booking, for breaking up a promising attack.

I can also understand that the Laws should be amended so that it should have been a red card.

51 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But the headline is not in any way about the racist abuse. The headline is about the outcome of the match, and their skin colour has f**k all to do with it.

You can see from the image posted that the article is entirely about the racist abuse. Most social media sites embed the article headline as standard, so many news sources use the actual post itself to add further context - essentially equivalent to a subheading.

Edited by craigkillie

BBC report suggesting 'a few dozen' ticketless people broke down barriers and rushed the stewards last night, and the FA bod in their interview conceding 'one or two' may have gotten into the stadium.

Nothing like totally minimising your national embarrassment when there's a World Cup bid on the horizon, eh?

They're never gonna stop the racism as long as they come out with the shite that it's "a minority" and "they're not real fans". There needs to be a realisation from the decent fans and those in power that it's deeper than that. They've voted in a series of governments that are more and more right wing each time and who have spent the past decade blaming foreigners for everything. Doesn't take a genius to work out that there are a growing number of angry, violent men getting more and more right-wing, more racist and more violent

We need more footballers calling out the Tories for being the racists that they are. English voters idolise a lot of these guys so them slagging them off is good.

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I can see both sides.

I fully understand that within the Laws that it is a booking, for breaking up a promising attack.

I can also understand that the Laws should be amended so that it should have been a red card.

Doubt he booked him for that as it can be debated in a lot of instances.  Clear case of unsporting conduct though which is what most bookings are for so the safer option.

I agree the laws should be amended to make it a red card when it’s cynical and zero attempt to play the ball.