Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Goalkeepers are almost always the best striker of a dead ball in a squad of players.

Pish. God only knows what would make you think that but it couldn't be further from the truth. The literal precise opposite of the truth.

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

Pish. God only knows what would make you think that but it couldn't be further from the truth. The literal precise opposite of the truth.

I can still remember the Stirling Albion keeper firing the ball about 30 yards over the bar, sailing towards the Forth, in a cup game at Bayview from about 20 years ago.

The boy literally took a penalty like it was a goal kick. Hilarious.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think it was after Heysel Stadium and English teams banned from Europe. There was a real effort to show we're not like them, including self policing.

I think you're right. IIRC the England fans were getting a terrible reputation for hooliganism and it's as if the Scotland fans thought "we need to distance ourselves from these tubes*" so admittedly with a measure of 20-20 vision hindsight now, we cleaned up our act pretty well. 

There must be some kind of mental attitude in play as well though.  I've been disappointed many times after a football match, even had the odd sherbet or 7,but I can't say I've ever had an overwhelming desire to chuck a chair through a window, punch another fan or chuck a bottle at a polis. 

(*other descriptions are available. 

Genuinely astonished that a country of 55 million folk who have consistently voted in governments moving even further to the right each time might have a large number of right-wing thugs. Did not see that coming at all

12 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Watched the game over in Carrickfergus this evening, with very much a neutral audience, so no sway either way. It wasn’t a classic with both sides evenly matched. Shame it had to go to penalties but well done Italy. Will welcome the newly crowed European Champions to Windsor Park in November.

Italy will be very humble winners, imho.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I suspect I know the answer, but in the cases where a host made it to the final of the tournament, has there ever been trouble, let alone the stuff we saw last night?

Maybe it's just because of where we are, but it never really felt like the showpiece final of a major tournament. You expect groups of fans congregating, bit corporate, carnival atmosphere.  Instead we got...whatever that was.  Even though they're complicit, I'd imagine UEFA are fucking raging this morning.

Basically they'd rather have seen scenes like this in Leicester Square

French Coverage of the Portugese Partying on the Champs Elysee after beating the hosts in 2016

You'd need to  go back  to Greece beating Portugal in Lisbon in 2004 for the previous comparison but I can't speak portugese

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

14 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Basically they'd rather have seen scenes like this in Leicester Square

French Coverage of the Portugese Partying on the Champs Elysee after beating the hosts in 2016

You'd need to  go back  to Greece beating Portugal in Lisbon in 2004 for the previous comparison but I can't speak portugese

I didn't see much coverage of anything after the game last night, was there much trouble or did everyone just slink off in a huff?

I did wonder.  Say by some miracle we were in that position last night, and Hampden was the venue for the final.  Now a fair proportion of our fans would be absolutely fucking blootered by the time kick-off came around (something I've never understood, but I digress), but do we think outside of the odd bit of trouble, there would be anything like the sort of scenes we saw yesterday?  I don't really travel with Scotland, so the most comparable one I can think of in my fairly short career following them was the Ireland game at Parkhead that felt like it had needle.  Never came close to a bunch of Scotland fans trying to kick f**k out of each other though.

I worked that game and Maloney’s worldie was punctuated by about 30-40 Scotland and presumably Irish fans leathering each other in the stands where I was. Was some laugh, I mind asking the steward if he was gonnae get involved and he hit back “I don’t get paid enough”. Fair enough!

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Saka has apparently never taken a penalty at senior level before.

Quite why you'd have him 5th, so he has the whole shoot out to put pressure on himself, is wild. Presumably he was decent at them in training or something .

I was baffled by England's choice of penalty takers. If Saka had to take one it should have been the second or third.

I had been impressed by what I saw of him in the tournament, and delighted as I was by the result I hope he isn't destroyed by this. Apparently he's never taken a penalty (in a first team game).