Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

2 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

This...  I live and work in England.  The mates I have down here are all sound football fans who just want their team to do well like any football fan would.... and none of the say 20-30 folk I know(including work mates) were overly confident in winning it...they were just enjoying the 'ride'..... 

But then there is the media and the 'other' deluded fans.  On Friday I was in the office having a bit banter in the canteen at lunchtime with a  few folk.  Someone asked me who i was supporting in the final.   When I wasn't committing to saying England..(I made a sh*te joke about getting the pizza and peroni in)...  Some wee p***k started having a go at me with some anti-Scottish shite and when I mentioned "England couldnt beat us and that was the main thing" it triggered him and he started ranting about letting us draw with them and utter bullsh*t before going into full on Eng-er-lund coming home pish.  Even the other guys in the room look embarrassed.  When I had a chance to get a word in after his seething mess,  all I said was "and thats why I'm supporting Italy" .   But that was a group of about 8 folk, one ars*hole... and although I don't excuse the racist c*nts who make up a large amount of he support..its not everyone.

Similar to my experience. Those who follow football were a lot more restrained during the tournament, and especially in the run-up to last night. Those who don't follow the game, but got swept up in the hysteria, were convinced "it was coming home".* 

Scene : WRK Towers, last night. The big telly's on in the extension. Present are the eponymous owner, his English wife, three of his four English daughtrers, his two English sons-in-law, and three English grandkids. With the exception of one son-in-law (long-suffering NUFC fan) and self (even longer suffering Killie fan), nobody has expressed the slightest interest in the Beautiful Game before this month**. Tonight, the flags, face-paint and bunting make my wee retreat look like the venue for a NF meeting. 

Cue self and said Toon fan decamping to the living room - 40" beats 65" when it's not accompanied by non-stop bollox repeated from the media. Game much more enjoyable - more for me obviously, although the lad was watching in hope rather than expectation. At least we could converse sensibly about the action, as we knew what we were watching. 

The upside of this was, of course, that no-one was all that bothered about Italy winning (except yours truly, but I tried to be diplomatic), so my house remains untrashed. 

*Loathsome fucking phrase, imho. Just one more reason for Baddiel to be flayed and dipped in salt.

**Seriously, even previous Tournaments have elicited nothing more than a passing "who's playing?" in passing from Mrs WRK.

40 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Love to watch a player like that who looks like the ball is magnetically attracted to his feet. Loads of times I was convinced he’d lost the ball and it just kept following him.

Declan Rice having two or three digs at him and Chiesa still wriggling away with the ball was sublime. 

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There is of course a major issue with alcohol and the behaviour while a high percentage are under the influence on this island.

There is, for sure, a cultural problem with alcohol. 

But taking that away, their is a loutish element behind it that I really don't understand. Many of us have drank far too much and haven't been chucking chairs out or throwing bottles (yes, fucking bottles) at fellow spectators as "banter".  Or indeed rioting to get into venues without tickets. There must be some sort of weird entitlement or something that this all sits behind, but I'm baffled as to what it may or may not be. 

4 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

The thing that mystifies me, particularly given the players at their disposal, is that England do not even try to play this way. They are happy to let their opponents have the ball and there is no press to speak of. 

They have some of the best young attacking talent on the planet (reputedly), many of whom are thriving in clubs playing high press and dominating the ball, yet they come out to grind like mid 2000s Scotland.

Spurs also do this which makes me wonder about Kane:s influence.

They're not good enough at the back to play expansive attacking football. Neville said as much last night. Defence wins championships.

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

But taking that away, their is a loutish element behind it that I really don't understand. Many of us have drank far too much and haven't been chucking chairs out or throwing bottles (yes, fucking bottles) at fellow spectators as "banter".  Or indeed rioting to get into venues without tickets. There must be some sort of weird entitlement or something that this all sits behind, but I'm baffled as to what it may or may not be. 

Yeah, very strange behaviour. A lot of football celebs were tweeting asking what the f**k they were playing at as it was such a shambles at Wembley Way.

3 hours ago, A_Veitch said:

I thought in real time had Chiesa been able to stay on Italy would have won it in the  very least in 120 minutes. He was starting to over run their defence and thought it was only a matter of time until he got in behind them.

Absolutely. The only reason it went that far was Chiesa's injury, which was then compounded by Verrati going off injured at the start of extra time.

The two of them were comfortably the best players on the pitch from about the 30 minute mark onwards.

There is of course a major issue with alcohol and the behaviour while a high percentage are under the influence on this island.
Aye alcohol is of course an issue but sobriety is just a mask for these c***s. All alcohol does is let their true personalities out IMO.

Since the peak days of English hooliganism I've been listening to a narrative from the media that young guys+bevvy must inevitably =trouble.

I just don't buy that.

I've been on too may drink soaked Tartan Army trips, where drink is the number one theme, and you see guys who are absolutely blootered for the whole duration, but without the slightest sniff of trouble. Over and over again.

You need dickheads to be part of that equation too.

14 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Right up ye to the guy who called me a sweaty sock at Green Park station after the Euro 96 game.

Not that you're one to hold a grudge...

9 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Since the peak days of English hooliganism I've been listening to a narrative from the media that young guys+bevvy must inevitably =trouble.

I just don't buy that.

I've been on too may drink soaked Tartan Army trips, where drink is the number one theme, and you see guys who are absolutely blootered for the whole duration, but without the slightest sniff of trouble. Over and over again.

There's been a big cultural shift in the Tartan Army. I snuck into Wembley when I was 14, folk climbing up scarfs tied together to get over a wall and stuff. Mayhem across London and the train down. They closed the Tube because the workers refused to put up with us. We lost 5-0. :(

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

There's been a big cultural shift in the Tartan Army. I snuck into Wembley when I was 14, folk climbing up scarfs tied together to get over a wall and stuff. Mayhem across London and the train down. We lost 5-0. :(

I am too young to have really seen the shift but was it not down to more self policing amongst the TA?

8 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I just don't buy that.

It's the size of the country.  50 million people in a right-wing leaning country will yield a large amount of violent dickheads who are looking for someone to blame for their personal and football club/country failings.  

I’m not surprised about folk trying to get without tickets etc. Biggest game in 50+ years etc etc. The UEFA security etc looked a bit of a joke tbh.

ETA too many etcs there but I don’t care. 

Spoiler

It’s a Latin word I believe. 
9DC24F2F-7359-4EF7-A61D-38382E05585F.jpeg.de35bd47b2a3cb974194343dda43ebb6.jpeg

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Not that you're one to hold a grudge...

He was probably a descendant of that c**t who licked William Wallace's wife's face.

It was all good on the train where there was safety in numbers. We didn't realise we were the only Scotland fans who were going to get off at Green Park.

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

They're not good enough at the back to play expansive attacking football. Neville said as much last night. Defence wins championships.

The majority of players in their backline do it in the prem and Europe week in, week out. They don't have a Chiellini but who else does?

France and Italy both came to play, Spain and Belgium too and I reckon all four of those sides would have done England. Maybe not France as they were a bit of a mess this time but hey ho.

If they want to win anything they are going to have to try and up it. Maybe Henderson was a bigger miss than was apparent.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Based on that Grealish would be 8th at best which doesn't exactly seem likely for an attacking player desperate to take one. The Pickford thing for 6th could be legitimate as there was something in the Athletic earlier in the tournament where one of the England players was saying he was one of the best at taking them in training.

He's not exactly arguing his cause when Southgate walks past him after speaking to Saka is he?

Not a fan of a manager telling the players who will be taking one and when, I must say.

Just now, Judy Murray said:

I am too young to have really seen the shift but was it not down to more self policing amongst the TA?

I think it was after Heysel Stadium and English teams banned from Europe. There was a real effort to show we're not like them, including self policing.

54 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Donnarumma was good but Chiesa player of the tournament for me. If England had won maybe Sterling, or if he'd not got injured Spinazzola.

There is no real debate that Sterling is a very good player - one of England's and Man City's best. 

There is absolutely no debate that he is a fucking cheat.

I get really pissed off when exciting, skilful players like this little shit and the peacock that is CR7 head for the floor as the first option rather than carry on playing, which I am convinced would lead to their scoring stats being even more impressive.