Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

I can't remember Henderson taking penalties for Liverpool, it's always Salah.
He did, however, miss the penalty in the WC shootout v Colombia and also one in a pre tournament friendly this year. I'm sure he'd have taken one but Southgate obviously thought he'd miss.
Maybe I'm mistaking him for Milner, I know one of them took some previously.

After a quick Google search Henderson has only scored one in a game against Arsenal like 6 years ago.

Makes sense then.

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Right. It’s the England support that make the team unlikeable for the neutral. They’ve got a decent, intelligent manager, and some talented, eloquent players, but their fanbase….

Not sure about that. Take away the minority who are mindless, racist thugs and I expect the majority of England supporters are like every other football  fan around the world: passionate about their team and desperate for them to win. 
I think it’s the English media that makes the team unlikeable. I detest the narrow-mindedness and sense of entitlement their media perpetuates. 

6 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

They never learn... last two finals they've been in..both at home...not enough being said about the fact they had home advantage....  

I think England's biggest issue going forward into the next couple of tournaments is that they're not incisive enough going forward. Having that home advantage has certainly helped carry them on a wave, and certainly got them through sticky patches against Germany, for example.

The stats say England had 26 shots on target across the seven games they played. So less than four a game - and six of those were against a Ukraine team who decided not to bother defending set pieces. That's not a great output when you consider their opposition in most of the games were far smaller nations who England should expect to beat nine times out of ten. I can't be arsed to research it but I suspect that tally is one of the smallest of any time to get to the final of a major tournament in a long time. Greece won it in 2004 with 21 shots on target - but they played a game less and we all know how they went about things that tournament.

Sterling has shown some great stuff in flashes, but I don't think Kane, overall, had a great tournament and he was pretty well anonymous yesterday. England's best showings came from the midfield - Rice and Mount, for example, but I think they'll struggle at the World Cup next year against better opposition.

They've had a great run of the draw in their last two tournaments and fallen short.  If they'd been on the other side of the Euro 2020 draw I think they would have massively struggled against France, Spain and Belgium and probably Netherlands as well. These teams control the ball far better than England do and would almost certainly have dominated possession at least to the same extent as Italy did.

There's definitely hope for the future if the likes of Saka and Mount continue to develop. Same goes for Foden, Sancho and Rice. That could be a formidable midfield for years to come. But then we've heard a similar narrative before with break out stars in the England ranks being hyped up as ones for the future - then you realise that they're actually a bit older than you thought. E.g Walker and Trippier are in their 30s, Stones, Maguire and Mings are late 20s, Kane is 27.  They're certainly  around for the next World Cup and probably the Euros after that - but that's a big chunk of starters likely to fall off the cliff beyond 2024.

7 minutes ago, A_Veitch said:

I thought in real time had Chiesa been able to stay on Italy would have won it in the  very least in 120 minutes. He was starting to over run their defence and thought it was only a matter of time until he got in behind them.

Chiesa was beginning to absolutely destroy England down the Italy left when he got injured. I actually felt like the winner could have been coming in 90 with him on the park. If they'd had Spinazzola yesterday I think it could have been an even more dominant performance from them. They took quite a while to settle into the game, but after about 25-30 minutes were completely dominant front to back. 

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Minus Sterling and Pedri, exactly what I picked. 

In fairness I was trying to load it with as many Italians as possible as an act of pettiness. Ronaldo (no Italian available) and Locateli in there instead. 

I had Rice in for Pedri, and Phillips in for Jorginho.  Couldn’t think of anybody to put in ahead of Schick.  

12 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Hilarious stuff from 19mins onwards 🇮🇹🏆😂

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I've seen this guy before weirdly enough. Him and his old man go around the country watching games and YouTubeing everything. 

They come up to Scotland and watch games, and actually some of his stuff is sillily enjoyable...if you're bored out your nut and fancy listening to an English teenager talk about his experiences at Motherwell v St Mirren or whatever. 

I don't get though why anyone would spend a whole football game not watching it but filming it. Plenty of people do it. I suppose it's just the world we live in..

They seem like decent guys but yeah I don't get the need to share all of that with the entire world.

England sticking a world cup bid in today, is like a divorced Da turning up at court for the custody hearing the night after taking a shit on the kids bouncy castle to get one over on his ex.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

There's definitely hope for the future if the likes of Saka and Mount continue to develop. Same goes for Foden, Sancho and Rice. That could be a formidable midfield for years to come. But then we've heard a similar narrative before with break out stars in the England ranks being hyped up as ones for the future - then you realise that they're actually a bit older than you thought. E.g Walker and Trippier are in their 30s, Stones, Maguire and Mings are late 20s, Kane is 27.  They're certainly  around for the next World Cup and probably the Euros after that - but that's a big chunk of starters likely to fall off the cliff beyond 2024.

Rice is awful, they should replace him with Bellingham.

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Minus Sterling and Pedri, exactly what I picked. 

In fairness I was trying to load it with as many Italians as possible as an act of pettiness. Ronaldo (no Italian available) and Locateli in there instead. 

Almost exactly the same as me but I had Lukaku in up front (dithered over him or Schick) and Xhaka over Pogba.

37 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The nick of Cundy here.

"BALANCE THE CONVERSATION!!!"

The refusal to acknowledge the pish easiness of England’s draw in mental.

Germany and Italy aside, they should be sweeping Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic, Ukraine and Denmark aside comfortably. It’s not even up for debate.

47 minutes ago, forameus said:

As soon as three black players missed, it was horribly clear what the narrative was going to be with a fanbase that had elements booing anti-racist gestures just weeks ago. 

All too similar to when Italy knocked them out of Euro 2012 on pens.  Scored: Gerrard & Rooney; Missed: Young & Cole (the Ashleys).  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/black-england-players-abused-twitter-7881217.html

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

England sticking a world cup bid in today, is like a divorced Da turning up at court for the custody hearing the night after taking a shit on the kids bouncy castle to get one over on his ex.

Never underestimate the power of the brown envelope.

Qatar got the next world Cup despite homosexuality being illegal, brutal human rights abuses and the fact that it's in the middle of a fucking desert. 

7 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Not sure about that. Take away the minority who are mindless, racist thugs and I expect the majority of England supporters are like every other football  fan around the world: passionate about their team and desperate for them to win. 
I think it’s the English media that makes the team unlikeable. I detest the narrow-mindedness and sense of entitlement their media perpetuates. 

This...  I live and work in England.  The mates I have down here are all sound football fans who just want their team to do well like any football fan would.... and none of the say 20-30 folk I know(including work mates) were overly confident in winning it...they were just enjoying the 'ride'..... 

But then there is the media and the 'other' deluded fans.  On Friday I was in the office having a bit banter in the canteen at lunchtime with a  few folk.  Someone asked me who i was supporting in the final.   When I wasn't committing to saying England..(I made a sh*te joke about getting the pizza and peroni in)...  Some wee p***k started having a go at me with some anti-Scottish shite and when I mentioned "England couldnt beat us and that was the main thing" it triggered him and he started ranting about letting us draw with them and utter bullsh*t before going into full on Eng-er-lund coming home pish.  Even the other guys in the room look embarrassed.  When I had a chance to get a word in after his seething mess,  all I said was "and thats why I'm supporting Italy" .   But that was a group of about 8 folk, one ars*hole... and although I don't excuse the racist c*nts who make up a large amount of he support..its not everyone.

1 minute ago, speckled tangerine said:

Qatar got the next world Cup despite homosexuality being illegal, brutal human rights abuses and the fact that it's in the middle of a fucking desert

But england will still play their games at Wembley right?