Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

Last night I was saying that was great but I never want them in another final. Today I've decided I want them to lose every final. That was magnificent

2 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

He’s 27 and he’s absolutely dug meat.

I thought he was a couple of years younger, but then keepers can continue on until their late 30s. He's far from being shite though, he's had some impressive saves throughout the tournament. Not that I'm a fan, you understand, I just think we need to accept that while the English consider themselves to be the best in the world, and it's clear they aren't, but that team on paper is very solid.

Well, that was delicious wasn't it?

But seriously, a fairly rancid final, elevated because of the rivalry with England.  Had Denmark gotten through and served that up, I expect it would have looked a lot worse (which they wouldn't, as I think that would've been a great final, but alas).  

So, the game.  Once again, England played the match like they have pretty much every one I've seen them in this tournament.  Coming out the traps at a million miles an hour, looking like a side that could dish out an absolute hiding.  No idea if it's the intention or not, but seems like Southgate wants to try and get ahead early because of his immense stauner for what comes next.  They get a very well worked goal so early, the perfect start.  Then Italy start to look like a bunch of weans on the edge of tears.  Nothing like the team that has lit up the tournament.  At that point, it looks more like a question of just how comfortable England want to make it, and just when the bank holiday is going to be.

But then, in UFC terms, England went from sitting on top of Italy, beating them about the head while they struggle to cover up, to getting up, wandering off, and weakly giving them a come ahead.  I just don't understand how they can look at that Italy side struggling to play 5 yard passes to each other and decide "Yeah, think we can just sit back on this now".  When the likes of Scotland put in a bit of a shitebag performance it's bad, but you can at least understand it.  We're weak in a lot of areas.  England have insane depth, particularly in forward areas, and that's what they serve up?  

Then the penalties...deary fucking me.  I know Southgate has come out to fall on everybody's sword, but I don't believe a word of it. To me it looked like he had three takers in mind.  Kane obviously takes one, Rashford usually does, and clearly he wanted Sancho in there.  Then the final two spots look like they were up to the team.  Maguire and Sako stepped forward, and I don't believe for a second Southgate picked those two*.  Fair play to the two of them, because the remaining 5 on that pitch at the end are utter fucking shitebags. Happy to let a 19 year old boy step up for number 5 just so they don't f**k it up.  Grealish especially, probably worrying his hair might get ruined, or that his inexplicable darling image with the fans might get tarnished.  Shitebags the lot of them.

I'm not sure either team were really good enough to "deserve" a win, but one team certainly deserved it less

EDIT: To be fair, I expect Southgate did pick the order (which was completely wrong) and he will have final say even once people volunteer.  But I guess if Maguire and Sako step forward for those two spots, and no-one else does, what do you say?  'Sorry Bukayo, pal, but you're barely out nappies.  We'll instead give it to one of the bags of shit behind me staring at the ground"

Edited by forameus

30 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't think the decision would've been based on Southgate's gut alone. If players are unwilling or look unwilling, you don't force them to take a penalty. The players will have volunteered, of that I'm sure; Southgate just makes the final call. 

Southgate also isn't the (thankfully rare) type of manager that will hang his players out to dry. 

And Southgate knows those players from the under 21s. While Scotland have been getting Scotland Gemmill and Malkkky Mackay teams to launch the ball 70 yards to random midgets, England actually have been developing a team for precisely this kind of tournament. Southgate has been a massive part of that . 

23 minutes ago, AJF said:

Good morning everyone 😄

And good morning to Rio Ferdinand who deserves every bit of banter that comes his way.

On the game I thought England were far superior in the first half but roles revered in the second half and Italy dominated. Extra time was a bit of nothing really.

As much as I am delighted that England lost, I must admit to feeling quite sorry for those who missed their penalty, given their ages - particularly Rashford, I'd much rather someone else missed than him but it won't stop me from enjoying it.

In hindsight it does seem to be a bit foolish of Southgate to bring on players specifically for penalties without letting them get a kick of the ball first.

Yeah. Rashford missing sucked as he is such a good guy, and Saka is a star in the making.  I wish it had been Macguire amd Grealish.  

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

You have to admire the brass neck to claim a victory there. 

It’s astonishing.  How on earth would not taking a knee - effectively dismissing everything Marcus Rashford has campaigned for - helped taking penalties?

50 minutes ago, Ric said:

England:

Good setup .. ✅
Quality players .. ✅
Sense of entitlement .. ✅
Racist fans .. ✅
Capricious right wing media .. ✅

Have I missed anything?

This.  I’d add that Marcus Rashford is clearly one of the good guys in football, but that doesn’t quite counterbalance Jack Grealish’s odiousness. 

Just now, Savage Henry said:

This.  I’d add that Marcus Rashford is clearly one of the good guys in football, but that doesn’t quite counterbalance Jack Grealish’s odiousness. 

I believe Grealish is a God, who would have won it for England with a few seconds of being on the pitch, but that damned Soutgate decided to play those who "don't show English heritage".. <_<

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I believe Grealish is a God, who would have won it for England with a few seconds of being on the pitch, but that damned Soutgate decided to play those who "don't show English heritage".. <_<

You should make it quite clear where you stand by tweeting the players concerned directly.  Their birthplace is unacceptable. 

I’m glad they didn’t win obviously but to be honest I felt bad for the missers because you just immediately knew they’d be on the end of a disgusting level of racist abuse. The Rashford one especially I felt almost conflicted when he was about to take it.

The likes of Grealish and Sterling should be mortified at letting a 19 year old boy take the fifth kick.

2 minutes ago, A_Veitch said:

The racist reaction is disgusting but sadly I'm not shocked by it.

Right. It’s the England support that make the team unlikeable for the neutral. They’ve got a decent, intelligent manager, and some talented, eloquent players, but their fanbase….

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

Doesn't Grealish have Irish heritage?

8 minutes ago, A_Veitch said:

The racist reaction is disgusting but sadly I'm not shocked by it.

As soon as three black players missed, it was horribly clear what the narrative was going to be with a fanbase that had elements booing anti-racist gestures just weeks ago.  Seems like people are trying to offset it a bit with messages of support, which is nice, but...well, I can't imagine some of the awful stuff these guys are going to see will just disappear because Betty from Bootle thinks he's a handsome boy that'll be alright in the end.

Especially given Saka actually had the balls to step up.  Rather than...

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

I just don't...get Grealish.  I don't really watch the Premier League, but sounds like he's just a big fish in a small pond at Villa.  This tournament when he's come on, he just seems to dribble the ball into places opponents don't mind, with nothing really incisive or interesting.  Seems like the hype and adulation have gone to his head a bit.  He thinks he's Beckham, completely forgetting that Beckham went on one hell of a journey and worked his beautiful baws off to get to being tolerated, let alone beloved.

Edited by forameus

1 minute ago, The Other Foot said:

Doesn't Grealish have Irish heritage?

At least it's white foreign rather than those pesky 'other types'...

Just now, forameus said:

I just don't...get Grealish.

Good player although he goes down far too easily and is massively over rated by the English media and fans.