Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

Arguably the thing that gives me the greatest joy out of this is the thought of the jingoistic Little Englanders kicking the heads off of dandelions this morning. 

I specifically mean the Mike Parry-type Brexiteers that were absolutely desperate to politicise this, now left with that gut-churning feeling inside as they know the whole of Europe, not just those Scottish Nationalist Party (sic) supporters, are pointing and laughing at them.  All this whilst the harsh reality that the biggest force in Old Blighty isn't quite as competent / superior as they thought they were begins to set in, and the opportunity for any form of a so-called 'last laugh' has well and truly bolted.

Yesterday afternoon I would have loved nothing more than to see them get a shoeing, but having seen the final outcome, and despite the evening being torturous, I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Glorious.

received_979130966261031.jpeg.5dbdaaaf40d152a0e1d645737ce9ff5a.jpeg

Edited by Hedgecutter

You know whats a really sad thought though..... Despite the quality of Sterling, or the promise for the future of Saka, Sancho, or the moral integrity and good guy status of Rashford...

See if they had scored their penalties and won it, a large number of people in England wold have been thinking that the win wasnt for the black lads. It was for good old fashioned white folks. 

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Either way it’s a massive f**k up. Southgates interview suggests it was his choice but you do wonder if the likes of Grealish and Sterling were hiding pre match anyway.

I don't think the decision would've been based on Southgate's gut alone. If players are unwilling or look unwilling, you don't force them to take a penalty. The players will have volunteered, of that I'm sure; Southgate just makes the final call. 

Southgate also isn't the (thankfully rare) type of manager that will hang his players out to dry. 

Good morning everyone 😄

And good morning to Rio Ferdinand who deserves every bit of banter that comes his way.

On the game I thought England were far superior in the first half but roles revered in the second half and Italy dominated. Extra time was a bit of nothing really.

As much as I am delighted that England lost, I must admit to feeling quite sorry for those who missed their penalty, given their ages - particularly Rashford, I'd much rather someone else missed than him but it won't stop me from enjoying it.

In hindsight it does seem to be a bit foolish of Southgate to bring on players specifically for penalties without letting them get a kick of the ball first.

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

England:

Good setup .. ✅
Quality players .. ✅
Sense of entitlement .. ✅
Racist fans .. ✅
Capricious right wing media .. ✅

Have I missed anything?

I would not describe Pickford as a quality player.

I would add an arrogant, self-obsessed, under-achieving manager who has won nothing.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I would not describe Pickford as a quality player.

I would add an arrogant, self-obsessed, under-achieving manager who has won nothing.

I don't think Pickford is that bad, he's young and improving, but what I do think is that the English rate him far higher than his actual quality.

Edited by Ric

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't think the decision would've been based on Southgate's gut alone. If players are unwilling or look unwilling, you don't force them to take a penalty. The players will have volunteered, of that I'm sure; Southgate just makes the final call. 

Southgate also isn't the (thankfully rare) type of manager that will hang his players out to dry. 

I can't see massively experienced players like Walker and Henderson bottling a penalty shoot-out.

Yet Southgate chose to replace them with Rashford and Sancho to take the penalties.

16 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The BBC have a "Pick your team of the tournament" vote - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57785782

Naturally, the BBC have rigged the choices with lots of England players. Do your duty and get it up them!

I managed to fairly effortlessly pick a team without any of them. Couldn't see Verratti as an option though, oddly.

9 hours ago, SoloXI said:

Is this the greatest result in Scottish football history?

Tartan Army giving their slaps of achievement across the land. They were probably superb .. i dunno, need some lounge cam TV to confirm.

Someone's hurting.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I don't think Pickford is that bad, he's young and improving, but what I do think is that the English rate him far higher than his actual quality.

Pickford is 27 now and still makes several howlers each season.

A top keeper would have saved Denmark's free kick.